NFL Division 2 2010

Started by CĂșig huaire, October 02, 2009, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: down6061689194 on March 13, 2010, 09:06:00 PM
Not getting to the game was bad, I'm not a fan of the radio,

but Martin McHugh, such an illiterate man to be given responsibility on a radio station. Absolutely sick of him.

"down can defiantly won this game"
"Connor Laferty coming on for Down"

He cant even read off a page.

And as for his football knowledge. Idiot of the highest order.

I'm sure he's devestated to have annoyed you by not speaking the Queen's English properly.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Trevor Hill

Quote from: downredblack on March 13, 2010, 09:34:36 PM
Good man Trevor - Geat to see Benny "he has gone back a bit" Coulter landing 3 pts . Did Alder play the whole game ? as either McHugh or his side kick mentioned McVeigh in the seconf half .

Alder played the whole game. Pulled off a superb save, but gave the ball away cheaply a couple of times. He ll start next week

If I don't turn this phone off there will be a divorce on the cards.

J70

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 13, 2010, 09:37:57 PM

but Martin McHugh, such an illiterate man to be given responsibility on a radio station. Absolutely sick of him.

I'm sure he's devestated to have annoyed you by not speaking the Queen's English properly.

What will all these boys do when McHugh packs in the punditry and they've no one else to cry and whinge about? Such sensitive souls.

downredblack

Quote from: J70 on March 14, 2010, 12:19:44 AM

What will all these boys do when McHugh packs in the punditry and they've no one else to cry and whinge about? Such sensitive souls.

No Fish Suppers going tonight in Donegal  ;D

down6061689194

If you're doing an english language broadcast you should have to good grace to speak correctly.

His lack of football knowledge was portrayed alongside a general lack of knowledge by the way he spoke. Can't believe BBC have the time of day for him.

D4S

First half last night was atrocious stuff, by both teams, but Donegal definitely looked slightly better and I thought they would push on for the win in the 2nd half.  Donegal completely crowded out the full back line with bodies when we attacked giving no time on the ball whatsoever...took the players a very long time it seemed to cop on to what was going on and to try and break quickly so as not to allow the donegal defenders to get back.  In the 2nd half it seemed that our half forward line were told to push right up the  middle of the field to allow Benny + john clarke space in the full forward line when we attacked, and this definitely worked!  The 2nd half performance from Down was much better overall and this result has left us with a huge chance of promotion.  Best in defence for us would have been McKernan, dan mccartan had a solid 2nd half, and colgan played well.  Ambrose was brilliant in the last 30, and was largely responsible for downs result, with his surging forward runs and superb fielding!!  Up front john clarke was again excellent at winning at times 50/50 ball that was being given into him, and kicked two great points.  Benny caused a lot of problems for donegal and played a huge part also in this great result.  Other players to mention would be Kalum King who I feel is improving all the time and looking fitter now, daniel hughes who runs his socks off every game, alder for the excellent save, and martin clarke for 2 super frees off the ground!

All in all Down did brilliantly to get this result on a damp night, and at times looked lethal when attacking.  We need to improve vastly though for championship time, as you can be sure donegal will play much better than they did last night.  But we have another 3 league games and perhaps even a day out in croke park before then ;)
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

J70

Quote from: down6061689194 on March 14, 2010, 10:10:50 AM

If you're doing an english language broadcast you should have to good grace to speak correctly.

His lack of football knowledge was portrayed alongside a general lack of knowledge by the way he spoke. Can't believe BBC have the time of day for him.

Can't defend "defiantly", assuming that is what he actually said, but pronouncing "win" as "won", or in certain contexts, simply just replacing "win" with "won", is very common in Donegal, at least in the part I'm from, and presumably, based on McHugh's pronunciation, at least along the rest of the north coast of Donegal Bay (as is pronouncing "Sean" as "shan", the other pronunciation you northern lads seem to commonly get upset with McHugh about). Vernacular quirks are not usually considered to be a reflection of the collective intelligence level of a population, but maybe there's something to that.

As for football knowledge, well I'm sure McHugh's achievements as a player, player-manager and manager compares favourably enough with the average GAA board member. But perhaps he got lucky for all those years and his own knowledge and intelligence had f**k all to do with it.

Onlooker

Result of the early start in Thurles - Tipperary 1-9; Meath 0-10.   Tipp led all the way and a Barry Grogan penalty was the difference in the end.  The battle to avoid relegation is getting tight now.  Great result for Tipp and well done to all. :) :) :)

D4S

Quote from: Onlooker on March 14, 2010, 03:17:14 PM
Result of the early start in Thurles - Tipperary 1-9; Meath 0-10.   Tipp led all the way and a Barry Grogan penalty was the difference in the end.  The battle to avoid relegation is getting tight now.  Great result for Tipp and well done to all. :) :) :)

Just heard that myself, great result for tipp indeed! Maybe that draw wasn't such a bad result for down last week ;)

Armagh leading kildare 7-2, sets things up for a cracking encounter next saturday night at pairc esler I can't wait!!!!!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Onlooker

Quote from: D4S on March 14, 2010, 03:19:43 PM

Just heard that myself, great result for tipp indeed! Maybe that draw wasn't such a bad result for down last week ;)

Armagh leading kildare 7-2, sets things up for a cracking encounter next saturday night at pairc esler I can't wait!!!!!
A friend of mine made the long trip to Newry last week and was talking to a Down supporter after the game, who told him that Tipp were the best team Down played in the League so far.  Hope he was right!!.

J70

Quote from: Onlooker on March 14, 2010, 03:52:22 PM
Quote from: D4S on March 14, 2010, 03:19:43 PM

A friend of mine made the long trip to Newry last week and was talking to a Down supporter after the game, who told him that Tipp were the best team Down played in the League so far.  Hope he was right!!.

And here was I thinking earlier on that Donegal may have to rely on beating Tipp to avoid relegation!

J70

Latest table (sorry about the formatting!)

1   Down           4   3   0   1   58   41   7
2   Armagh         4   3   1   0   63   39   6
3   Donegal        4   2   2   0   59   47   4
4   Kildare          4   2   2   0   53   51   4
5   Meath          4   2   2   0   47   51   4
6   Laois            4   2   2   0   57   64   4
7   Tipperary      4   1   2   1   48   60   3
8   Westmeath   4   0   4   0   48   80   0

Cosmo Kramer

Am I right in thinking that its closing in on two years since Westmeath played a league game and didn't lose it?
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

D4S

Quote from: J70 on March 14, 2010, 04:48:09 PM
Latest table (sorry about the formatting!)

1   Down           4   3   0   1   58   41   7
2   Armagh         4   3   1   0   63   39   6
3   Donegal        4   2   2   0   59   47   4
4   Kildare          4   2   2   0   53   51   4
5   Meath          4   2   2   0   47   51   4
6   Laois            4   2   2   0   57   64   4
7   Tipperary      4   1   2   1   48   60   3
8   Westmeath   4   0   4   0   48   80   0

Looking at that table, if down could get a win next weekend against armagh,they would be almost guaranteed promotion being 3 points clear at the top with 2 games to go.  Going to be a very tough and exciting evening!

J70

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on March 14, 2010, 05:05:44 PM
Am I right in thinking that its closing in on two years since Westmeath played a league game and didn't lose it?

I think you're right. They went down with us last year, and while I think we ended up with four or five points, they lost all seven games. From the table, it could be the same situation again this year! I wouldn't be putting the house on Donegal beating Armagh at home or Tipp or Meath away!