NFL Division 2 2010

Started by Cúig huaire, October 02, 2009, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Wouldn't get carried away with that win, Donegal were very poor and kicked some awful wides and their goal was just a freak. Anyone nice to pull up with 10 mins to go winning comfortable. Looking at the match-ups Kildare's forward were man for man bigger than their marker so physically we were always going to be in it but our work-rate exemplified by our Captain was a step-up from the last two and that kind of leadership was badly missed against Down. The game wasn't won at midfield as such and Earley had one of his quieter games up until about 20 to go, as the Donegal goalie in particular used a short kick-out strategy a lot. Ken Donnelly had a great 1st half and himself and Ennis had the beating of their men everytime. in the 2nd half we moved the ball very well into the wind with some cracking scores from play but the with 15 to go and 10 points up the game fizzled out. Thought Cribben had a smashing game at half-back although needs to show more confidence in the 50/50s but his work rate was excellent and for the most part his distribution was excellent too. That added to Karl Ennis's form hopefully means we're developing that strenght in dept we need especially as Hendy was very composed at full-back and the full-back played very well as a unit.

#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

I was very surprised at how poor Donegal were on the day. Murphy and McFadden had the potential to do damage but Donegal kicked some god awful ball into them and Hendy and Hughie mopped it up. Pleasantly surprised at how well Hendy played. McGrillen was excellent and he should be well up for Armagh after getting a bit of a lesson off Clarke last year.

No point in getting carried away because the game was won at half-time but there definitely appears to be some depth there now. There'll be some competition for places now facing into the next four matches. Rob Kelly, Conway, Leper, Flanagan, Flaherty and Smith all to come back in. I wouldn't like to call the half-back line for the Championship. Scanlon saw plenty of ball and Chalky was excellent (great finish for the goal). Cribbin is a real prospect but I'd be surprised if he was more of a half-back than a half-forward.

Forwards were showing much better than they were a month ago. JD makes such a huge difference and looked very sharp. Hopefully the knock he picked up isn't too serious. Ken Donnelly and Paudie O'Neill were also very good for two guys who usually ship a lot of criticism. Goalkeeper is still an issue though. Corley was poor for the goal even with the sun in his eyes. That should be meat and drink to an inter-county keeper and McCormack has never looked too convincing under the high ball either. I'd definitely give Robbie Eyres a go when Westmeath come to town in a fortnight's time.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Trevor Hill

Point dropped last night. We were cruising for the first 20 minutes and 7-2 up and then the wheels came off. The same old defensive frailties came back to haunt us for the goal, but we all make mistakes. Fair play to Tipp, they worked hard and deserved a point, but the ref was definitely their sixteenth man.
Crucial game next week. A win sets us up nicely for the big one the following week, but a defeat would be a big blow.

Down scorers. M Clarke (0-5, 1f), C Laverty (0-3), J Clarke (0-3), P McComiskey (0-2, 2f), C Maginn (0-1)

Team P W D L F A +/- Pts
1 Down 3 2 1 0 1-42 1-27 15 5
2 Armagh 3 2 0 1 2-45 2-28 17 4
3 Donegal 3 2 0 1 5-33 1-31 14 4
4 Kildare 3 2 0 1 2-42 2-33 9 4
5 Meath 3 2 0 1 3-28 2-33 -2 4
6 Laois 3 1 0 2 1-30 4-35 -14 2
7 Tipperary 3 0 1 2 2-30 2-44 -14 1
8 Westmeath 3 0 0 3 2-25 4-44 -25 0

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

RM and J70, heard from my father that Eamon McGee has gone to London and registered with a team there, gone for work. Kinda guess he'll not be appearing for us this campaign.
Tbc....

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 07, 2010, 11:40:47 PM
RM and J70, heard from my father that Eamon McGee has gone to London and registered with a team there, gone for work. Kinda guess he'll not be appearing for us this campaign.

He's with Tir Chonaill Gaels, isn't he? Kevin Cassidy, if I recall correctly, reckoned in an interview a few weeks back that he would miss it and be back in time for the championship! Of course, he could also opt to play for London. Can't begrudge him - he's an amateur player and work and career comes first, so hopefully it'll work out well for him, whatever he decides to do. I would love to live back home in Donegal as well, but the career options just aren't there and short of the slim possibility of retiring there someday, I doubt if I'll ever live there again.

As for whether the Donegal team will miss him, I think we're well enough covered in the backs, even if his absence will obviously weaken the squad. Since Frank McGlynn came through, he hasn't always been first choice anyway.

Any word on whether Rory Kavanagh will be back for the championship? He would not be as easily replaced, particularly if Toye isn't back to full fitness by that stage.

Donnellys Hollow

Saw that Ricky Nixon chap on the terrace in Newbridge today. Presume he was there to watch young Murphy.

I wonder if he might pursue big Willie Heff after his cameo at full-forward today! He'd be well fit for horsing into them Aussie full-backs.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

cill_dara

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 08, 2010, 12:04:22 AM
I wonder if he might pursue big Willie Heff after his cameo at full-forward today! He'd be well fit for horsing into them Aussie full-backs.

ha ah the boy done well, it was almost a joke among the fans when he came on, but he done well enough, we have to keep him around anyway to scare them Offaly boyos!!

J70

Saw that Ricky Nixon chap on the terrace in Newbridge today. Presume he was there to watch young Murphy.

I read somewhere that Murphy played in an Aussie Rules trial game during the week. If so, he must be interested.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on March 07, 2010, 11:48:25 PM

He's with Tir Chonaill Gaels, isn't he? Kevin Cassidy, if I recall correctly, reckoned in an interview a few weeks back that he would miss it and be back in time for the championship! Of course, he could also opt to play for London. Can't begrudge him - he's an amateur player and work and career comes first, so hopefully it'll work out well for him, whatever he decides to do. I would love to live back home in Donegal as well, but the career options just aren't there and short of the slim possibility of retiring there someday, I doubt if I'll ever live there again.

As for whether the Donegal team will miss him, I think we're well enough covered in the backs, even if his absence will obviously weaken the squad. Since Frank McGlynn came through, he hasn't always been first choice anyway.

Any word on whether Rory Kavanagh will be back for the championship? He would not be as easily replaced, particularly if Toye isn't back to full fitness by that stage.

Not sure if he went to the Gaels. Fair enough he can be replaced but he has alot of experience and I hope your right and he comes back for the Anglo-Celt. Work is work though and I wouldn't hold it against him, he's family after all.  ;)
Tbc....

RMDrive

Quote from: J70 on March 08, 2010, 12:19:16 AM

I read somewhere that Murphy played in an Aussie Rules trial game during the week. If so, he must be interested.

He's flying out for a trial at the end of this year. Seemingly Nixon has been in discussions with JJ about the best time to do it etc (he's softening his approaching apparently). I suppose it will be similar to what Aiden O'Shea did. From reading O'Shea's blog of the trip, it will be no holiday anyway!!

RMDrive

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 08, 2010, 12:27:34 AM
Quote from: J70 on March 07, 2010, 11:48:25 PM

Not sure if he went to the Gaels. Fair enough he can be replaced but he has alot of experience and I hope your right and he comes back for the Anglo-Celt. Work is work though and I wouldn't hold it against him, he's family after all.  ;)

Yeah it's looking increasingly likely he will stay over there. As yous have said you can't fault him for it. He's been training with London while over there but I don't know if it's Gaels he is thinking about transferring to.

If we need him back we can always get GDA to use the family connection anyway!

RMDrive

A preview of the Championship tomorrow night in Ballybofey. I hope to make it up for the game. Any word on the Donegal team? Will JJ change things up a bit after the whupping against Kildare? Of course he's fairly limited in the changes he can make.

RMDrive

Donegal Team

Paul Durkan
Shane Boyle
Neil McGee
Karl Lacey
Michael Maguire
Anthony Thompson
Kevin Cassidy
Neil Gallagher
Barry Monaghan
David Walsh
Conall Dunne
Edward Kelly
Colm McFadden
Michael Murphy
Adrian Hanlon

thejuice

Have a feeling we will not get the result we want in Tipp this weekend. Unless we improve greatly from last week I think we are in for a tough battle for the 2 points.

We should have a stronger hand with some of the U-21's back and injuries cleared up. I think Davy Dalton will be fit again.

No team announced yet but I'd be inclined to go with:

1. P O'Rourke

2. E Harrington
3. J Macken
4. C O'Conner

5. S McAnarney
6. A Moyles
7. S Kenny

8. N Crawford
9. C Gillespie

10. G Reilly
11. J Sheridan
12. B Sheridan

13. D. Bray
14. S. Bray
15. B. Farrell
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Dinny Breen

QuoteI think Davy Dalton will be fit again

Just doesn't sound right in this context  :'(

His grand-dad, a Kildare legend passed away this week.
#newbridgeornowhere