NFL Division 2 2010

Started by Cúig huaire, October 02, 2009, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 07, 2010, 09:07:50 PM
QuoteKildare did not go out there to play football today, they went out to bully and foul Down and were very lucky to end up with 13 players on the field. They lost 1 player after a straight red card and a second in the dying minutes for a second yellow, but they could and should have had a few more players sent off. McGeeney really needs to have a look at this, but maybe this is what he wants.

The fact that you don't know both players were sent off for two yellow cards, shows you how stupid that comment is. Gary Whites first yellow was for a terrible dive by Rafferty I think, simply embarassing, rolling around and then when he didn't get a free got up and played on, even worse was the ref was closer than the linesman and waved play on, but the clown of a lines man felt he had to have his say, very annoying. Down players went down the slightest bit of contact, won an awful lot of soft frees, Kildare's discipline went in the last 20 I admit but that was out of frustration as they were well beat at that stage. Benny Coulter should have seen a red card for that elbow as well, funny you don't comment on that.

I can only comment on what I saw. I did not see Benny lift his elbow and it wouldnt really be something that Benny would normally do. I may have made a mistake over the red card incident I only saw the red card being shown, but I did not make a mistake about the final score, which after all is all that matters. Down have been too nice for too long. Wee James may have brought a certain amount of ring craft to the team. He was a cute wee hoor himself.  ;)

AZOffaly

QuoteWee James may have brought a certain amount of ring craft to the team. He was a cute wee hoor himself.  ;)

Aye, he was that. Isn't there a Westmeath lad who'll tell you how 'cute' he was? ALthough Dinny, I have to say the county that brought us Martin Lynch complaining about diving is a bit ironic :D

Dinny Breen

QuoteALthough Dinny, I have to say the county that brought us Martin Lynch complaining about diving is a bit ironic :D

Ouch, in ahem Martins defence he wasn't diving he was just clever at winning frees  :P
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Poor old Martin got more abuse from the Kildare crowd than any opposing counties despite being one of our finest ever footballers. The cuteness in engineering frees came from his Kerry roots!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

thejuice

Not looking forward to facing Down next week. Eamonn needs to get us playing a bit more coherently. Play is too disjointed, they play like individuals and not a team that knows each other.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Trevor Hill

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 07, 2010, 09:51:15 PM
Aye, he was that. Isn't there a Westmeath lad who'll tell you how 'cute' he was?

That was a very strange case. No one saw McCartan lift a hand, yet the player, Ken Larkin a Garda was able to manufacture a prosecution. Ultimately James was not convicted, but had to make a large donation to a charity. The whole affair stank and should have been handled a lot better, it should never have gone near a court and probably would not have if the accuser had not been a member of the Gardai.

The court heard references to McCartan's good character from a series of high-profile individuals.

Former Northern Ireland Ombudsman Senator Maurice Hayes said he had known McCartan and his family for more than 15 years.

He described the former Down footballer as hard-working, respectful and very truthful.

"He was one of the best forwards of his time, probably one of the best corner-forwards ever."

He said he had attended all the games McCartan played during his Down career and had seen him take a lot of abuse from defenders who were intent on stopping him.

"I never, ever saw him retaliate," he said.

"He was a role model for youngsters in Co Down. He was widely admired for his skill and in particular the way he played the game."

However, Mr Hayes said he abhorred dirty play and did not in anyway condone it.

The former Northern Ireland Agriculture Minister Brid Rodgers, said she had no hesitation in commending McCartan as a man of good and excellent character.

In her letter to Judge Early she said she had never witnessed anything approaching "dirty play" from McCartan.

John Farrell, the president of the University of Ulster, said McCartan was one of the most talented and exciting forwards he had ever seen.

He said he frequently witnessed McCartan playing for Queen's University, Belfast in the Sigerson Cup where he was subjected to ferocious late tackles from defenders.

"Despite serious provocation I never saw him react," he said.

A local priest and friend of the McCartan family said the player had never received a red card while playing for his club or county.

Mr O'Higgins told Judge Early the submissions indicated that his client came to court with a significant body of credit.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2004/1122/ireland/gaa-star-to-make-donation-after-player-assault-177088.html#ixzz0etiUpybk

stephenite

Quote from: Trevor Hill on February 07, 2010, 11:58:19 PM

That was a very strange case. No one saw McCartan lift a hand, yet the player, Ken Larkin a Garda was able to manufacture a prosecution. Ultimately James was not convicted, but had to make a large donation to a charity. The whole affair stank and should have been handled a lot better, it should never have gone near a court and probably would not have if the accuser had not been a member of the Gardai.

Ludicrous suggestion.

The fact of the matter is that following an incident with McCartan this lad left with a severely broken jaw and all the senators in the world and regardless of whether the victim was a member of the Gardai are not going to change that fact.

Perhaps someone can clarify this, but my recollection is that James was going to be convicted unless he agreed to the settlement of donating to charity, that he made the donation would suggest as much as certainly imlpies guilt.

Trevor Hill

How is it a ludicrous suggestion? The case should never have come before a court of law. The GAA should have dealt with this matter in house. I suppose it shows how far we have fallen as a society when GAA players, like many others are very quick to run to the courts to try to claim a few pounds in compensation. Thankfully he didnt get it in this case, but it looks to me like that was the injured parties intention.
I am not condoning on field violence here, far from it, but wee James was not a dirty player. James` usual response when a player got physical was to tap the ball over the bar, sometimes minus his boot.  ;)

Trevor Hill

Following is the details of traffic regulations for this Saturday's game v Meath in Páirc Esler. Down GAA ask patrons attending the National Football League game v Meath at Páirc Esler on saturday night to observe the following traffic regulations.

There is no parking permitted on the warrenpoint Road Dual Carriageway, we want all patrons to travel in safety to and from the game

Parking is available in the Greenbank Industrial Estate and priority will be given to those vehicles when exiting after the game.

Parking is available at the Quays Shopping Complex for patrons travelling from the Dublin Road direction.

We ask all patrons to co operate with stewards in ensuring the safe arrival and departure of supporters to and from the game.
Le meas, Rónán

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: Trevor Hill on February 08, 2010, 08:16:05 PM
Following is the details of traffic regulations for this Saturday's game v Meath in Páirc Esler. Down GAA ask patrons attending the National Football League game v Meath at Páirc Esler on saturday night to observe the following traffic regulations.

There is no parking permitted on the warrenpoint Road Dual Carriageway, we want all patrons to travel in safety to and from the game

Parking is available in the Greenbank Industrial Estate and priority will be given to those vehicles when exiting after the game.

Parking is available at the Quays Shopping Complex for patrons travelling from the Dublin Road direction.

We ask all patrons to co operate with stewards in ensuring the safe arrival and departure of supporters to and from the game.
Le meas, Rónán

But not for free!

stephenite

Quote from: Trevor Hill on February 08, 2010, 01:19:40 PM
How is it a ludicrous suggestion? The case should never have come before a court of law.

So the lad who was left sucking his food through a straw for a couple of months as a result of a tackle used his position as a member of the Gardai to ensure that this came to court? That is what you're saying, right? And you're also saying that this isn't a ludicrous suggestion?

Trevor Hill

Was he left sucking food through a straw? Or are you assuming. Maybe I am also assuming that he used his job/contacts as a Garda to bring about a prosecution, but if he had been a brick layer or teacher would James have ended up in Court?

stephenite

Quote from: Trevor Hill on February 08, 2010, 11:09:12 PM
Was he left sucking food through a straw? Or are you assuming. Maybe I am also assuming that he used his job/contacts as a Garda to bring about a prosecution, but if he had been a brick layer or teacher would James have ended up in Court?

He was left suckiung food through a straw - about 8 weeks of it I think.

If you're assuming that a lad can use his contacts as a member of the Gardai to manufacture a prosecution than that's completely incorrect - a high profile issue like this would have been handled completely above board. That wee James was approached outside of Croker with a summons was down to the fact that he ignored all correspondence prior to this.

I have no personal interest in this case, but I remember it fairly clearly and was thinking at the time that James must have been guilty as he paid the money after being forced into court. If he had done nothuing wrong why did he do this?

What's wrong with being a brick layer or a teacher, and why wouldn't it have neded up in court?

Trevor Hill

A brick layer or teacher probably would not have the contacts to bring about a prosecution. In my opinion and I may be wrong, the prosection was brought about so a claim for compensation could be made. It all came down to money.
I got my arm broke playing at minor level, it was a dirty act. Waited for almost a year to get revenge on the field and when I got my chance I took it. Neither of us thought about courts, it was one of those things. He did me, I did him. I would be lying if I said we were friends, but when we see each other out and about I always ask him how the head is, he always asks how the arm is. Football is a contact sport, these things happen. I got banned, he didn't. No one would have dreamed of going to the cops.

stephenite

Breaking an arm at minor level is different to being out of work for an age following a perceived dirty act, this was one of the instances that bought about the DRA, there was a plethora of cases up and down the country, including a lad that has a conviction in Mayo for breaking a lads jaw at underage level.

That you think this was about money is neither here nor there, the fact that the lad involved wanted the money to go to charity tells me enough about him, the fact that it was paid tells me enough also.