NFL Division 2 2010

Started by Cúig huaire, October 02, 2009, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

I would be happy enough if Down finished sixth, but I am hoping for they will do a bit better. At the end of the day there is only one important game in the league, the game against Armagh. Win that and it will be a new dawn for this panel. It will be a close game, they usually are, but we have been on the wrong end of those tight score lines over the last decade. That should change in The Marshes on a Saturday evening in March.

I will go for
Kildare
Donegal
Meath
Down
Laois
Armagh
Westmeath
Tipperary

armaghniac

QuoteThat should change in The Marshes on a Saturday evening in March.

Hopefully it will, and Armagh will win by a 1999 style margin, rather than those of the last decade.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Donnellys Hollow

I don't fancy Kildare to go up this year despite only narrowly missing out last year. The fixture list isn't kind to us and we have been decimated by injuries and suspensions, particularly in the forwards where we looked laboured and ordinary against Louth last Sunday. The full-back position is another big issue for us.

I think we're up against it at the weekend against Down. We might struggle to hold Benny Coulter and I fear they'll turn us over in Newbridge on Sunday.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

drici

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0204/1224263733771.html

LOOKING AT the line-up of Division Two, it's clearly going to be an exciting ride for some, and a rough ride for others.

While the likes of Meath, Kildare, Donegal and Down have a strong foundation and no lack of confidence, Laois, Westmeath and Tipperary must be a little bit anxious of where their form will leave them in a few weeks' time. And then there's Armagh, who could just as easily rule the division as they could struggle in it.

On last year's championship form, Kildare and Meath would have to be considered favourites for promotion, and yet Donegal and Down have the potential to beat anyone else in this division on any given day, and, assuming Paddy O'Rourke can quickly establish himself, Armagh can't be ruled out either.

Westmeath and Tipperary will want to get some points on the board fairly promptly if they are to avoid the chop. All in all, definitely a division worth watching with interest.

Armagh

Manager: Paddy O'Rourke (1st season).

2009 NFL: P7, W4, L3 (4th Division Two).

First Game: Saturday, away v Meath.

In many ways this league marks the dawn of a new era for Armagh. After a decade as one of the top teams in the country, 2009 was alarmingly poor, though that didn't justify the messy departure of manager Peter McDonnell, although perhaps the bigger surprise was when former Down All-Ireland winning captain, and former manager Paddy O'Rourke was announced as his replacement.

O'Rourke has assembled an impressive backroom team of former Crossmaglen boss Donal Murtagh and 2002 All-Ireland winner Justin McNulty, with input from fitness expert Mike McGurn, but much of this league campaign will be about establishing younger players alongside the last of the old guard such as Steven McDonnell and Ronan Clarke, with the return of Kevin Dyas from Australian Rules going some way towards achieving that.

Donegal

Manager: John Joe Doherty (2nd season).

2009 NFL: P7, W2, D1, L4 (7th, Division One)

First Game: Sunday, away v Westmeath.

Whatever pressure John Joe Doherty came under after relegation from Division One last year was lifted, temporarily at least, by the impressive championship run. Building on that progress was crucial, and Doherty appears to have done exactly that, even employing Limerick physio Ger Hartmann to design some off-season training.

Winning the McKenna Cup last weekend, beating no less than Tyrone in the final, suggests things are going well, particularly as newcomers Leo McLoone, Adrian Hanlon and James Keeney stood out, and Donegal have to be considered contenders for promotion.

Down

Manager: James McCartan (1st season).

2009 NFL: P7, W5, L 2 (1st, Division Three).

First Game: Sunday, away v Kildare

Promotion from Division Three last year appeared to leave Down in good shape going into the championship.

However, a preliminary round loss to Fermanagh in Ulster, followed by defeat by Wicklow in the qualifiers, developed a feeling of crisis, or at least the need for change. Ross Carr was replaced by two-time All-Ireland winner James McCartan, and already he seems to have had a desired effect.

Three straight wins in the McKenna Cup, before the semi-final loss to Donegal, was highlighted by the return of Martin Clarke from his stint with Australian Rules (he hit 1-6 in his senior debut against Queen's) and with brother John Clarke also back on the panel, there is optimism in the county.

A good league run should underline that.

Kildare

Manager: Kieran McGeeney (3rd season).

2009 NFL: P7, W4, D2, L1 (3rd Division Two).

First Game: Sunday, home v Down.

It's impossible to deny the expectations on Kieran McGeeney's shoulders this season, starting with this league campaign. They narrowly, and disappointingly, missed out on promotion last year, but proved a real force in the championship - and still appear the only real threat to Dublin's reign as Leinster champions.

But whether he likes it or not, McGeeney will get to discover just how strong his panel is, starting with the tricky opening game against Down, following Alan Smith's exit, and the suspensions being served by Morgan O'Flaherty and Johnny Doyle.

The return of forwards James Kavanagh, Ken Donnelly and Willie Heffernan is well-timed.

Laois

Manager: Seán Dempsey (2nd season).

2009 NFL: P7, W3, D0, L4 (6th Division Two).

First Game: Saturday, home v Tipperary.

Along with the furore of the disciplinary breakdown in the recent O'Byrne Cup match against Kildare, Seán Dempsey had other things to worry about, particularly the fact that MJ Tierney was their only scorer.

Clearly there's a need to establish a more thorough scoring threat, and it's not necessarily easy to see where that will come from.

With Denis Booth, Billy Sheehan, Kevin Meaney and Peter O'Leary all suspended, Dempsey will be forced to try out new faces from the start, and even, though there is unquestionable talent in the panel, including the return from Australia of Colm Begley, this could be prove a challenging league campaign.

Meath

Manager: Eamonn O'Brien (2nd season).

2009 NFL: P7, W2, D2, L3 (5th Division Two).

First Game: Saturday, home v Armagh.

The lack of a county sponsor for the time being shouldn't be viewed as a reflection of Meath's prospects in this campaign. There was nothing much wrong with Eamonn O'Brien's first season in charge, taking Meath to the All-Ireland semi-final, and the recent O'Byrne Cup victory over Dublin suggests the competitive edge is still there.

What O'Brien will want to achieve in this league is the sort of consistency that would see them not only promoted, but arrive a little more fine-tuned for the championship in terms of a starting line-up. O'Brien hasn't been slow to try out new players, but it's time to make tough judgment calls.

Tipperary

Manager: John Evans (3rd season).

2009 NFL: P7, W5, L2 (2nd, Division Three).

First Game: Saturday evening, away v Laois.

After two years of unprecedented progress, rising from Division Four, to Three, and then to Division Two, there may inevitably be a small dose of reality about this upcoming campaign.

Although they recently ran Kerry to within a point in the McGrath Cup, it remains to be seen if Tipperary have the depth in talent to repeatedly take on the likes of Armagh, Kildare, Meath, Down and Donegal - although they certainly won't prove any pushover.

John Evans has instilled remarkable belief in to his squad, but that may not be enough to see them survive in the division.

Westmeath

Manager: Brendan Hackett (1st season).

2009 NFL: P7, L7 (8th Division One).

First Game: Sunday, home v Donegal.

There were at least a couple of games in last year's National Football League that Westmeath were desperately unlucky to lose, like conceding a last-minute goal to Tyrone, but in the end they were simply unable to hold up to the demands of Division One, and were relegated without a win.

A hugely disappointing championship followed, resulting in Tomás Ó Flatharta

being replaced by the relatively unknown Brendan Hackett (at least outside of athletics circles). A trained psychologist, Hackett will need to call on all those skills to restore player confidence, because there's no doubt they still have talent.

Yet it could still prove a difficult league, particularly as former All Star Dessie Dolan continues his self-exile, evidently disgruntled that his father, Dessie Snr, wasn't considered for the job.

Ian O'Riordan

Trevor Hill

The Down GAA senior panel for the 2010 National Football League
Round 1 vs Kildare on Sunday, 7th February 2010

1. Brendan McVeigh (An Riocht)  Breandán Mac an Bheatha (An Riocht)
2. Daniel McCartan (Burren)   Dónal Mac Artáin (Boireann)
3. Brendan McArdle (Annaclone)  Breandán Mac Árdghail (Eanach Chluáin)
4. Damien Rafferty (Newry Shamrocks) Damien Ó Raifeartaigh (Seamrogaí an Íuir)
5. Kevin McKernan (Burren)   Caoimhín Mac Thiarnáin (Boireann)
6. James Colgan (An Riocht)   Seamás Mac Colgan (An Riocht)
7. Conor Garvey (Mayobridge)  Conchúr Ó Gairbhith (Droichead Mhaigh Éo)
8. Ambrose Rodgers (Longstone)  Ambrós Mac Ruairí (Cloch Fhada)
9. Kalum King (Bryansford)   Colm Ó Cionga (Áth Bhriain)
10. Conor Maginn (Bryansford)  Conchúr Mag Fhinn (Áth Bhriain)
11. Martin Clarke (An Riocht)   Mairtín Ó Cléirigh (An Riocht)
12. Daniel Hughes (Saval)   Dónal Ó hAodha (Sabhaill)
13. Paul McComiskey (Dundrum)  Pól Mac Cumascaigh (Dún Droma)
14. John Clarke (An Riocht)   Seán Ó Cléirigh (An Riocht)
15. Brendan Coulter (Mayobridge)  Breandán Ó Coltáir (Droichead Mhaigh Éo)
16. Declan Alder (Carryduff)   Deaglán Alder (Ceathrú Aodha Dhuibh)
17. Stephen Kearney (Saval)   Stíofán Ó Cearnaigh (Sabhaill)
18. Kevin Duffin (Castlewellan)  Caoimhín Ó Duifinn (Caisleán Uidhlinn)
19. Aidan Brannigan (Kilcoo)   Aodhán Ó Branagáin (Cill Chua)
20. Sean Parr (Rostrevor)   Seán de Parr (Caisleán Ruairí)
21. Peter Fitzpatrick (Ballymartin)  Peadar Mac Giolla Phádraig (Baile Mhairtín)
22. Paul Greenan (Kilcoo)   Pól Ó Grianáin (Cill Chua)
23. Conor Laverty (Kilcoo)   Conchúr Mac Laibheartaigh (Cill Chua)
24. Mark Poland (Longstone)   Marcas Mac Póilín  (Cloch Fhada)

blue kj

aertel preview page 204, for div 2 goes for 4 away wins, paddypower has tipp 7/4, armagh 5/4, down 6/4 and donegal 1/3. makes for an interesting accumulator, pays nearly 20/1. Think i might go with their predictions, though as a down man i'm not sure if i should be backing armagh!

Zapatista

Quote from: blue kj on February 05, 2010, 11:34:37 PM
aertel preview page 204, for div 2 goes for 4 away wins, paddypower has tipp 7/4, armagh 5/4, down 6/4 and donegal 1/3. makes for an interesting accumulator, pays nearly 20/1. Think i might go with their predictions, though as a down man i'm not sure if i should be backing armagh!

To be fair there's more than one reason to stay away ;)

AFS

Quote from: blue kj on February 05, 2010, 11:34:37 PM

The Aertel/ RTE website predictions are usually criminally bad.

thejuice

Prediction:

1: Donegal
2: Kildare
3: Down
4: Armagh
5: Meath
6: Laois
7: Tipperary
8: Westmeath

While I think Meath could do better I just don't think our focus will be on the league, much like last year.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Trevor Hill

Tonights results;
Laois 1-13 1-11 Tipperary
Meath 2-08 0-13 Armagh

thejuice

Week 1                     
Pos.   Team   Pld   W   L   D   Agg   Pts
1   Down   1   1   0   0   11   2
2   Donegal   1   1   0   0   7   2
3   Laois      1   1   0   0   2   2
4   Meath   1   1   0   0   1   2
5   Armagh   1   0   1   0   -1   0
6   Tipperary   1   0   1   0   -2   0
7   Westmeath1   0   1   0   -7   0
8   Kildare   1   0   1   0   -11   0

Results:
Laois 1-13 1-11 Tipperary
Meath 2-08 0-13 Armagh
Down 1-16 0-08- Kildare
Donegal 1-13 0-09 Westmeath
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AFS

Nice to see that we're settling into our customary mid-table berth good and early.

Trevor Hill

Kildare opened brightly and had a score on the board inside the first minute, but McComiskey quickly had Down back on level terms with a well taken point, before he slotted over a free to leave down ahead by 2-1. Kildare scored two points before John Clarke levelled the game on 18 minutes when he had the goal at his mercy. A Martin Clarke free put Down ahead by a point and a few minutes later John Clarke added another to leave down ahead by the minimum 5-4. Kildare added another 2 points before a great ball from Martin Clarke put Paul McComiskey in on goal and he made no mistake to leave the score 1-5 to 6 points in favour of Down. McComiskey lobbed over another free on 30 minutes before Ambrose Rogers got in on the act with a fine individual point to leave the score 1-7 to 0-6 in favour of Down at half time.
Down started the second half very brightly and Daniel Hughes added a point within 30 seconds. Connor Garvey had arguably the score of the day on 42 minutes to leave the scores at 1-9 to 0-6. Another Martin Clarke free followed by 2 points from Ambi left the score at 1-12 to 0-7 as the Kildare fans headed for the gate. McComiskey took a blow to the face, before slotting over the resulting free on 56 minutes, quickly followed by a point from sub Steven Kearney.  McComiskey added another from play before another of Down subs, Conor Laverty deservedly got on the score sheet to leave Down ahead by 11 points at the final whistle 1-16 to 0-08.
This was probably Downs best performance since beating Tyrone in Newry in2008, but no one will be getting carried away. We played with a purpose and cohesion that has been missing for too long. There were very few negatives today everyone played well, but Kildare made it easy for them. Kildare did not go out there to play football today, they went out to bully and foul Down and were very lucky to end up with 13 players on the field. They lost 1 player after a straight red card and a second in the dying minutes for a second yellow, but they could and should have had a few more players sent off. McGeeney really needs to have a look at this, but maybe this is what he wants.
The much maligned Down full back line didn't have much to do today. D. Rafferty was outstanding, while the others were steady enough after a shaky start. The half back line is very strong, they hardly put a foot wrong, though I was very impressed with James Colgan today. The midfield came into the game after a sluggish start. Ambi had 3 fine points from play, while Calum King added a physical aspect that has been missing for a long time. The forwards as a unit worked hard and took their scores well, with very few chances wasted. Martin Clarke did all that was asked of him, without being outstanding. He rarely wastes a ball and has the ability to find space in a crowded area and also play great balls into the corner forwards. He instinctively knows where John is and the two of them were worth the admission price alone. McComiskey had a great day, took a few knocks, but took his scores very well. Coulter, while not his usual flamboyant self put in a good, hard days work. For a while in the last 10 minutes he was playing in the full back line, in fact everyone seemed to want to defend. Its a pity Martin McHugh wasn't there to see it, I would have bought him a fish supper after the game.
All in all a good day at the office. My Man of the Match was D. Rafferty, though it really could go to any one. Next up, Meath on Saturday night who will be a much tougher test.
Down Scorers.
P. McComiskey  1-5 (3F), J. Clarke 0-2, M. Clarke 0-2 (2F), A. Rodgers 0-3, D. Hughes 0-1, C. Garvey 0-1, S. Kearney 0-1, C. Laverty 0-1.

Dinny Breen

QuoteKildare did not go out there to play football today, they went out to bully and foul Down and were very lucky to end up with 13 players on the field. They lost 1 player after a straight red card and a second in the dying minutes for a second yellow, but they could and should have had a few more players sent off. McGeeney really needs to have a look at this, but maybe this is what he wants.

The fact that you don't know both players were sent off for two yellow cards, shows you how stupid that comment is. Gary Whites first yellow was for a terrible dive by Rafferty I think, simply embarassing, rolling around and then when he didn't get a free got up and played on, even worse was the ref was closer than the linesman and waved play on, but the clown of a lines man felt he had to have his say, very annoying. Down players went down the slightest bit of contact, won an awful lot of soft frees, Kildare's discipline went in the last 20 I admit but that was out of frustration as they were well beat at that stage. Benny Coulter should have seen a red card for that elbow as well, funny you don't comment on that.
#newbridgeornowhere

mournerambler

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 07, 2010, 09:07:50 PM
QuoteKildare did not go out there to play football today, they went out to bully and foul Down and were very lucky to end up with 13 players on the field. They lost 1 player after a straight red card and a second in the dying minutes for a second yellow, but they could and should have had a few more players sent off. McGeeney really needs to have a look at this, but maybe this is what he wants.

The fact that you don't know both players were sent off for two yellow cards, shows you how stupid that comment is. Gary Whites first yellow was for a terrible dive by Rafferty I think, simply embarassing, rolling around and then when he didn't get a free got up and played on, even worse was the ref was closer than the linesman and waved play on, but the clown of a lines man felt he had to have his say, very annoying. Down players went down the slightest bit of contact, won an awful lot of soft frees, Kildare's discipline went in the last 20 I admit but that was out of frustration as they were well beat at that stage. Benny Coulter should have seen a red card for that elbow as well, funny you don't comment on that.

As I said on another thread Dinny, I hope those sour grapes skitter the arse of you.