NFL Division 2 2010

Started by Cúig huaire, October 02, 2009, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Was one of the 208 souls in Semple Stadium yesterday, very poor game, both sides not up to much, ruined what was a lovely day for a drive. Hackett for all his talk hasn't a clue about the Westmeath mentality, we desperately needed to win that game yesterday to have any chance of turning our season around and giving Wicklow/Carlow a game. It was so pivotal to win that the U21s should have been involved, there wasn't even one of them on the bench. When/If the game is in the balance the next day we're not gonna have the mentality to push on for the win as we're used to being nipped at the post these days, another year without a league point, disgraceful.

The program yesterday listed 6 people as being part of the Westmeath management, SIX, a case of far too many cooks I think. What's worse is that I don't think any of them know what they're at. Brought Hoey on when we got back to within one, he did his usual soloing into trouble, giving the ball away that lead directly to scores and then they took him off after 10 mins, beggared belief. The only positives from the game were to see Seanie O'Donoghue in maroon and the fact we actually reached double figures for points scored, it's gonna be a short, short summer, lets hope Heavin doesn't make a balls of the minors again this year...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Onlooker

I was also one of the 208 yesterday, looking at the game from a Tipperary point of view and with the Under 21 players being rested for next Saturday's All Ireland semi final v. Donegal, I was not at all confident that Tipp would win the game and I would certainly not have expected a 6 points winning margin.  To me, Westmeath looked extremely low on confidence, which is not surprising after their last 2 League campaigns.     As you say, WH got to within a point of Tipp in the second half, but once Tipp put on a couple of points, I thought that WH fell away very easily and in the end Tipp could have won by more.   I am sure that you are right about the WH management set up.  I remember reading early in the year of the people that Brendan Hackett was appointing to his back room team and they made no sense to me.  i know that Spike Fagan was a very good footballer, but i don't see what the likes of Michael Carruth and some others add to the set up.  Their appointments look very much like gimmicks to me.  No team needs a management team of 6 people and IMO if any team in the country needs a change of manager it has to be Westmeath.  Having said that Westmeath have some fine footballers and Martin Flanagan is still a very dangerous forward.  I could not understand why WH moved him out the field, as once they did so the Tipp full back line were in control of that part of the field.  There is still no reason if they get their act in order why WH can not beat the winners of the Carlow/Wicklow game.  These are my thoughts on Westmeath, after what I saw yesterday.

Croí na hÉireann

Good man Onlooker, it was a lovely day for it anyway. I presumed your U21s weren't involved as I was expecting more from yous, best of luck to them against Donegal. You're right, confidence levels are at rock bottom, yesterday was the time to build confidence again but we were a shambles. I counted 7 players who started who had no game time for Westmeath this year, talk about late in the day to be giving lads their chance. The heads dropped once Tipp started to pull away again and I'd be very concerned that the same will happen against Wicklow/Carlow. You're spot on about Michael Carruth, what significant contribution can a man who was involved in a solo sport make to a team. To me, he's just a well known name who was put on a ticket to get Hackett the job. Flan is indeed still very dangerous but he's infuriating to watch, great to sell a dummy and move past players but has absolutely zero workrate. Moving him out the field backfired, they say Willo was doing damage inside and probably hoped Flan could keep him supplied with ball but his lack of industry saw Tipp take over the middle and they kicked on from there. Grogan is a lovely player and was easily the best player on view yesterday. Tipp should be dangerous enough in Munster once they get their U21s back, best of luck anyway and see yous bright and early next year in Roinn 3. By the way, I know the hurlers are going well but where were all your supporters yesterday? It seemed to be mostly friends and family there...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Onlooker

Tipp will cetainly benefit from the return of the Under 21's, but I am afraid our chances in the Munster Championship ended on the night that the draw was made last November.  Tipp play Kerry in the Quarter Final with the winners meeting Cork in the Semi Final.  Talk about a nightmare draw.  They can not admit it, but Tipp have to be thinking about the qualifiers already.  Hope we get a better draw.  No venue for the Under 21 game has been announced yet.  There could be a Westmeath connection as it could be fixed for Mullingar.  The bookmakers have Donegal as favourites to win the All Ireland, but I think that Tipp will give them plenty of it on Saturday.  We were given no chance against Kerry in the Munster Final in Tralee and I am quite hopeful for Saturday.  I have always liked Martin Flanagan anytime I have seen him play.  He is a talented player.  Barry Grogan is a fine player and was really on his game yesterday.  He is a confidence player and got off to a good start yesterday.  The lack of support for Tipp footballers is a fact of life down here.   Interest in football is picking up, but people have not yet got into the habit of going to matches, plus there were a lot of club matches on yesterday.  There is real interest and goodwill in parts of the county, but Thurles and most of the North of the county is a desert for football.  Don't like to be thinking of next winter on fine days like this but Div. 3 is always a very interesting and competitive league.  Maybe Tipp won promotion to Div. 2 a year too soon.