Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

T Fearon

I'm sure the craic would be great round Dalkey if South Dublin got to an All Ireland Final.Even Bono would be running around mad looking tickets,Pat Kenny would be tearing his hair out,and Bob Geldoff would have the business class flights home booked right away.

The only thing is,the citizens wouldn't contemplate standing on Hill 16, no no,out of the question.

6th sam

Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2017, 06:03:44 AM
I'm sure the craic would be great round Dalkey if South Dublin got to an All Ireland Final.Even Bono would be running around mad looking tickets,Pat Kenny would be tearing his hair out,and Bob Geldoff would have the business class flights home booked right away.

The only thing is,the citizens wouldn't contemplate standing on Hill 16, no no,out of the question.

I presume you're aware , that the current All-Ireland hurling champions , Cuala,  with their large and vociferous support are based in Dalkey , and one of Ireland's laRgest clubs is only a couple of miles away in Kilmacud,. There is no doubt that there is a market for GAA in South Dublin , and not only amongst families whose parents originate from rural GAA heartlands .
GAA is a glamour sport which many parents choose in admiration of what it offers: team spirit, sense of belonging , excellent governance, on your doorstep, sense of identity, not as dangerous as rugby or as mercenary as soccer, cost effective etc etc

trileacman

South dub side are beatable.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Aaron Boone

Quote from: armaghniac on September 10, 2017, 11:16:55 PM
Quote from: hardstation on September 10, 2017, 10:41:17 PM
Quote from: trileacman on September 10, 2017, 10:38:33 PM
South dub side are beatable.
+1
Who is Con O'Callaghan?

Favourite for young player of the year?

Steve Cluxton is now favourite for player of the year.

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Lar Naparka

Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2017, 06:03:44 AM

;D ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mrhardyannual

"Time to Split Dublin"

No.1 objective of the Mayo Senior Team. :P

mayoaremagic

needs to happen in next 5 years. split the dubs

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but as a certain bookmaker has offered odds of 5/4 on Dublin winning the next 10 Leinsters and that looks a generous price this subject is likely to stay bubbling under the surface. However splitting Dublin 2 won't work as it will simply be Dublin North and South dominating instead.
My solution is to split it in 4 along the local councils route, Fingal, Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, South Dublin and the City. I would then set Dublin up as a separate province and revive the Railway cup so the Dublin brand would continue.
There would now be 5 provincial championships which should be run on models similar to the Hurling round robins. There would still be a good chance one of the 4 Dublin teams would win the AI most years but it would at least give the rest of the country some hope.

longballin

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 14, 2018, 10:56:56 PM
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but as a certain bookmaker has offered odds of 5/4 on Dublin winning the next 10 Leinsters and that looks a generous price this subject is likely to stay bubbling under the surface. However splitting Dublin 2 won't work as it will simply be Dublin North and South dominating instead.
My solution is to split it in 4 along the local councils route, Fingal, Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, South Dublin and the City. I would then set Dublin up as a separate province and revive the Railway cup so the Dublin brand would continue.
There would now be 5 provincial championships which should be run on models similar to the Hurling round robins. There would still be a good chance one of the 4 Dublin teams would win the AI most years but it would at least give the rest of the country some hope.

Is this for real?  :D :D :D :D :D

Syferus

This is essentially (alongside subsiding prepartion and travelling expenses for county teams via centralised funding) of returning the GAA to its amateur ethos at IC senior. It would make for an incredibly exciting championship with al lot of teams believing they had real chances of an AI. But what bean counter in HQ has the balls to tell Dublin they are not a county and haven't been one for decades?

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: longballin on June 14, 2018, 11:12:09 PM

Is this for real?  :D :D :D :D :D

In time yes, let the current group beat all the records first which they will and then hope like hell that GAA can recover in the rest of the wasteland when the new structures are put in place.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I like it  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mayo4Sam14

I assume when these teams are knocked out they have the same right as any to go through the qualifiers? Sure then we just end up with four dub teams in ai semi finals
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!