Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

I like the look of the championship format at this stage but of course seeing it run off will be the final verdict. Players want meaningful games and this format provides them in quick succession. Looking forward to it.

I would agree with the league format - I think it's as good as we can do and each league has 8 teams that are very evenly matched.

Ethan Tremblay

Involved in this scene atm and have mixed feeling on it tbh.  It will be interesting to see if the championship 'feel' come into play when we take on our first game.  I grew up playing the "1 bite at the cherry" format and weeks running up to a game was nerve wrecking, this feels different so far to me, if we lose are first game we have a shot at redemption. 

To be fair, just a  duffleking has stated, it is probably the fairest format as we are playing a mix of teams on our level and momentum may play a factor in the knockouts.  I would expect the harps, who have had a topsy turvy season to kick into gear with the run of games. 

Unfortunately due to the volume of games being played and the depth of players that will be used throughout the county, the B competition will become more or less redundant in my eyes. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

general_lee

B competition already redundant and should probably be graded and made 13aside.
I will give this new set up the benefit of the doubt, it used to be you could reach a final with 3 games, now the best you can do is a quarter final!

Itchy

So lads, Aidan O Rourke is a front runner for the cavan job with Poacher his number 2. What do Armagh guys think of his coaching or management skills. Did he do anything in Armagh? I know his stint in Lough didn't go well.

Throw ball

Quote from: Itchy on August 16, 2018, 07:45:08 PM
So lads, Aidan O Rourke is a front runner for the cavan job with Poacher his number 2. What do Armagh guys think of his coaching or management skills. Did he do anything in Armagh? I know his stint in Lough didn't go well.

From what I have seen and heard he would be very thoughtful on tactics and would study football well. From his time as assistant in Armagh he seemed to give referees a bit of stick. As manager that might change. Hopefully he and Poacher will not follow the Carlow method of football if he gets Cavan job.

Applesisapples

Keady beat Middlletown by 2 points in the SHC final, I wasn't expecting that.

Oraisteach

How are the Cuchulainns these days?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Oraisteach on August 18, 2018, 04:43:44 PM
How are the Cuchulainns these days?
Got thumped by Middletown, Derrynoose put it up to Keady though.

Rufus T Firefly

And then there were eight.

All four number one seeds have made it safely into the quarter-finals as group winners, with Harps, Silverbridge, Killeavy and Madden making up the rest.

I took in Madden and Dromintee yesterday at the Nab and I thought Madden were excellent value for their victory. Dromintee scored a very late goal to leave a point in it, but Madden held on for a well deserved win. They now play Maghery and I could see Madden giving them their fill of it - the Grimleys give Madden a strong spine and the bombs they put in on top of Ryan Grimley has the potential to rattle any team - just ask Rangers. Maghery will also be without Aidan Forker, following his red card against ourselves, although that is no doubt subject to an appeal. His absence could be a factor, although Maghery should take it.

St Pats pay Silverbridge. I've seen St Pats once in the Championship, and they were very comfortable against the Ogs. I took in Silverbridge and Sarsfields, and the match remained open only because of the terrible shooting of the Bridge forwards. I just cannot see anything but a St Pats win.

We (Harps) have drawn Rangers. That is the punishment for our failure to close out the Maghery game, when we led by a point, whilst only needing the draw, and with an extra man, we somehow snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. If we are to retain our title, the likelihood is that we will beat three number one seeds to do so, which is a very tall order. Rangers will be warm favourites and will really fancy their chances.

Ballymacnab play Killeavey and whilst the Nab have Championship glory in October in their sites, Killeavey have the potential to make a game of it. They were quite impressive in dispatching the Ogs on Friday night but are likely to find the Nab too big a hurdle. 

brokencrossbar1

Maghery, St Pats, the Nab and Harps. We are not there yet Rufus. Too many injuries to older men and bar 2-3 the younger lads just haven't pushed on. We are 3-4 players short of challenging and that's not me being a cute hoor!!!

Last Man

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 17, 2018, 08:00:32 PM
Maghery, St Pats, the Nab and Harps. We are not there yet Rufus. Too many injuries to older men and bar 2-3 the younger lads just haven't pushed on. We are 3-4 players short of challenging and that's not me being a cute hoor!!!
Recommend any good physios in the Portatdown/Lurgan area people? Have a young lad with a knee problem.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: keeperlit on August 16, 2018, 11:49:40 PM
Dates, times and venues for club championship

http://armaghgaa.net/football/fixtures-senior-intermediate-championship/

I hate the way Armagh groups their championships, why wouldn't you just have straight knockout like other counties?  Must take away hugely from the championship itself.  It seems a bit of a nonsense. 

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Last Man on September 18, 2018, 02:46:49 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 17, 2018, 08:00:32 PM
Recommend any good physios in the Portatdown/Lurgan area people? Have a young lad with a knee problem.

I know its not Lurgan or Portadown but would recommend Helen @ PhysioFocus in Armagh clinic - not a million miles away - has done a Phd in physio and have found her to be excellent in the past.  https://physiofocusni.wordpress.com/about/
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

redzone

There is also another Helen Mcelroy in augher who is a brilliant Physio. She is located at the Edge fitness premises.