Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Mcvitty named but not starting for DCU tonight. If he's injured would be disaster for cavan. Thomas Galligan midfield for DCU with Luke fortune playing for UCD

Westside

How did Fortune look against Kerry? Sounded like he got taken yo the cleaners...

Sincerely hope McVeety is taking precautions but will be ok come the weekend

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on February 07, 2019, 01:33:12 PM
How did Fortune look against Kerry? Sounded like he got taken yo the cleaners...

Sincerely hope McVeety is taking precautions but will be ok come the weekend

He got a bit of a run around but at the end of the day he was fired in at the deep end marking a very good player when McVitty went off. McVitty had O Shea in his pocket up to that point.

Westside

Not much talk about tonight? No team announcement, WeareCavan seem to have gone silent too they didn't do a preview.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on February 09, 2019, 12:57:49 PM
Not much talk about tonight? No team announcement, WeareCavan seem to have gone silent too they didn't do a preview.

It's all a bit odd, especially no podcast.

tierworker blue

It's the same team as the one that was named last week, apart from Moynagh named at 4, instead of Conroy.

Itchy

Well beaten in the end, few take aways

- Fitness and especially strength fitness is really below where it needs to be. I am beginning to see why Mickey made a point of saying we are 3 years behind most teams. I am thinking Corry did a test on the players and gave Mickey the bad news before the league started. There is of course no quick fix to this but I am sure a huge amount of work is going into it in training at the moment which is possibly why we are fading so badly in games. Thats my theory anyway. We need to asses the team in light of that. I'd still rather be in Div 1 losing by a few points than playing a lower standard.

- The goal was a foul on Galligan, it was level enough in 1st half and that goal certainly took the wind out of us. Why do referrees miss such blatant fouls? Mind you Galligan probably should be stronger and maybe punch that ball away instead of trying to catch under pressure.

- Discipline is a huge issue and Mickey needs to get hold of the lads and sort this out. Murray was on a yellow for a 1st half high tackle and then goes and does another one in front of the baying mob of Mayo fans in the stand - really stupid. Clarke mauls Andy Moran on the 45 with idiotic slaps, gets a free against him and then moans at the ref and its brought in for a tap over. Moynagh concedes a free on the sideline at the 45, wont release the ball and its brought forward for another simple score. If you think about it thats 2 points and a player down. You have to stay in these games when you are on the back foot, not throw your toys out of the pram. Discipline is costing us big time.

- Unforced errors were prevalent in the 2nd half. You get punished in Div 1 for every mistake. That a lesson we have to learn from.

- Martin Reilly a great soldiers but he needs to do this a second faster, he is slowing the game up.

- Madden struggled today. Won the 1st ball and kicked it wide from tight angle. Next one he won but gave it away, seemed to lose confidence and lost a few 50:50s. By the end he was spilling balls he was favourite to win. Still I have lots of faith in him but he needs to learn to put a poor performance behind him and move on.

- On the positive I think McVitty is one of the best players in the country, despite clearly not being 100% if he decides he is going past you he just does it. His 2nd point was magnificent. I cant wait to see him at full speed later in the summer. Moynagh did well when he came on. Stephen Murray played well and Jason McLoughlin had a great 1st half.

Injury News. According to a brief podcast from wearecavan Gearoid is back in training next week as is Caoimhin Reilly and Gerry Smith should be back for Roscommon so that is positive.

Itchy

The insane thoughts of our former grounds man that get printed by the virtual rag that is hoganstand...

Strange reply Mattie got relegated and came right back up and everyone wanted his head so why not look for the heads of the present management 3 losses so far in the league and more than likely three more to follow. How can any county board that have their county team in Division 1 give a new manager the okay to concentrate on the championship and forget the league if this is true we as supporters have been betrayed and cheated plain and simple. I don't believe that they allowed this to be ratified if yes they should all resign in block. But I fear this did not happen they would never be that stupid would they???

Westside

Is it just me or does the Cavan Board on HS attract a special type of lunatic? It's either one loser with an Hyland obsession posting under 10 different usernames or a former groundsman who obviously hates Graham calling a 3 point loss to Kerry 'disgusting and calling for Mickey to resign after 3 games.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on February 10, 2019, 10:52:47 PM
Is it just me or does the Cavan Board on HS attract a special type of lunatic? It's either one loser with an Hyland obsession posting under 10 different usernames or a former groundsman who obviously hates Graham calling a 3 point loss to Kerry 'disgusting and calling for Mickey to resign after 3 games.

Someone should write a thesis on that man. Last year he was calling for mcglennan to leave not he was wronged. No wonder the pitch was in shite for so long.

Itchy

Very good performance yesterday. Clarke awesome at midfield, Moynoagh hit everything he could see and possibly Niall Murrays best game for Cavan. Madden took his two goals so well. Can we dream to go to Omagh and pull another result of the bag?

Denn Forever

The lads on NS were great crack.  The work rate of the team would gladden the heart.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Itchy

That was really disappointing last night. Did ok in the 1st half to stay in touch but Clarke's stupidity has to be called out getting sent off. He really needs a strong word with himself. I've been at every game this year. Hes got a red, black cards, multiple frees brought forward for all sorts of stupid shite. Hes at his prime and an experienced operator, what he did last night is not acceptable.

Few other things that were really obviously issues..

- Very weak kick out strategy that was easily sussed out by Tyrone
- Free taking a total disaster again, we missed 6 or maybe 7. Martin Reilly is simply not a free taker. I dont understand this craic of Galligan coming half way up  the field to take frees and then discussing it with others and leaving to someone else. The free taker should be decided before the game.
- Discipline - see above
- Need more from our forwards, a bit of hard running and courage on the ball. We wouldnt have scored 1-14 if we were there for 3 games.

And the sad thing is Tyrone are not that great, they are well organised in defense but not great elsewhere yet by the end we made them look like all ireland contenders. AS few of our lads were total passengers last night too which is worrying. Mickey has an awful lot to do before the Monaghan match.

Westside

What's behind Clarke's discipline problems? He was a brilliant tackler once upon a time and now it's a lot of lazy diving in and dirty shots. Is it a lack of fitness? Is he fed up and not willing to put in the hard yards? Is he playing the part of what he thinks a hard man midfielder should be?

Itchy

Did anyone make the match. Very disappointing show again.  Last 2 games have been steps backward in my opinion. Where to start..

1- Freetaking. Abysmal, disorganised, no one seems to know who is taking them. I've cut Mickey some slack but for f**k sake this needs to get sorted. If I say Raymond Galligan run up the field again only to be told to go back I will scream. Our most reliable free taker this year is Jack Brady and he is on the bench. Niall McKiernan gets a first start and he gets to be on frees. Its bonkers. Sort it out Mickey. Monaghan stayed in touch thanks to frees, i dont think they got a point from play in the first half. Oh yes and if the bloody free isnt on then recycle the ball instead of blasting it wide.

2- Mcvitty midfield. Maybe we were forced into it as Thomas Galligan and Paul Graham were not togged but for me this is a waste of Mcvitty. You need him running from deep or closer to goal. I was not impressed with Clarke in there either. Didnt do enough for me.

3- New lads. Most are simply not up this level yet. Poor decision making, playing the ball backwards as not strong enough to take on a man. There is a bit about Rehill and Gerry Smith needs to up his work rate, too much swanning around and not enough getting stuck in.

4- Forward play. Again Mickey Graham needs to do more here. Leaving a big immobile player like Niall McKiernan on his own in the FF line and bringing our main scoring threat of the whole league Madden way out the field was crazy. We looked like we hadnt a clue how to attack.

5- Tackling/Discipline. Its brutal, lads who use to be able to tackle are now flat footed and throwing in lazy arms and conceding frees against teams that can score within 50m of the goal. Then the usual moaning - 3 free brought in by the ref yesterday and McVitty black card probably for moaning too. Again Mickey can surely see that this is a problem so what is he doing about it. I listened to an interview with Killan Clarke after Tyrone game and he was talking some crap about how the ref was determined to get him. What a load of bollox Killian. Senior player should be looking at himself, not the ref.

6- Leaders. I think we dont have any on the pitch.

Positives

Moynagh had a serious game and really brought it to Monaghan. McKiernan had an impact as a sub. Full back line was good. Apart from that there were none. As things stand I cannot see us spring anything on monaghan in Ulster I am afraid.