Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

I doubt Mickey was top of anyone's fantasy list including mine but being realistic it seems he was the best genuinely available. Plenty of managers have belied their lack of experience to do a great job in their first year, plenty have fallen flat on their arses too. There's no way to know unless he has a go at it. It'll be interesting to see if any absentees come back and what new lads he adds to the squad, as well as persuading a few to delay retirement for another year. If he keeps us in Division 1 it'll be a job well done before even considering championship.

Needless to say, best of luck to all involved.

scoopmine

Lads what players do we want back on the panel and what could be done to keep the turnover low eg Monaghan...

mrdeeds

Quote from: scoopmine on August 20, 2018, 06:07:48 PM
Lads what players do we want back on the panel and what could be done to keep the turnover low eg Monaghan...

Players I'd like to see in/back are David Givney (in England) Kevin Meehan (music doesn't help), Paul Graham and maybe Andy, Eugene Keating, Gerry Smith(available again after exams), Fergal Flanagan (available again too after masters),  Paul Smith (working closer to home now), Brian O Connell, Jack Brady, Niall McDermot, Colm Smith, Conor Smith, Thomas Galligan, Niall McKiernan and Dillon. Maybe have forgot some.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 20, 2018, 06:18:24 PM

Players I'd like to see in/back are David Givney (in England) Kevin Meehan (music doesn't help), Paul Graham and maybe Andy, Eugene Keating, Gerry Smith(available again after exams), Fergal Flanagan (available again too after masters),  Paul Smith (working closer to home now), Brian O Connell, Jack Brady, Niall McDermot, Colm Smith, Conor Smith, Thomas Galligan, Niall McKiernan and Dillon. Maybe have forgot some.

Turloc Mooney, Rory Dunne

mrdeeds

Quote from: Itchy on August 20, 2018, 06:21:36 PM

Turloc Mooney, Rory Dunne

Yeah Mooney too. Don't know if Rory the same after injury. Kevin Tierney too.

rodney trotter

Johnny Leddy had soccer commitments but would be a good addition if he could commit.
Conal Sheridan and Kevin Boucher would be worth looking at too

mrdeeds

That's some list of players that would create a very strong squad. Training would be improved as a result.

Mickey was ratified last night with McCabe and Corey.

scoopmine

Is Paul Smith not based in Donegal? Like to see Argue too. But serious work on S and C to be done. Losing Maguire last year was a real loss but I believe Corry is very good at what he does. Just need real buy in. Galway hit the league hot and it did wonders for them.

mrdeeds

Quote from: scoopmine on August 21, 2018, 12:16:42 PM

Is Paul Smith not based in Donegal? Like to see Argue too. But serious work on S and C to be done. Losing Maguire last year was a real loss but I believe Corry is very good at what he does. Just need real buy in. Galway hit the league hot and it did wonders for them.

Paul Smith transfered to Monaghan.

rodney trotter

Plenty of good players if they were willing to commit. .
Mickey Graham should be a good manager to develop the forwards. Caoimhin Reilly a similar type forward to Rian Brady of Mullinalaghta and Longford.

Itchy

Cavan win through to the Gerry Reilly cup final (u16) where they  play Meath. Best longford in a tight enough game but I believe the played 3/4 of the game with 14 men. Prior to that they gave Dublin a awful hiding. What's encouraging is they seem to have some individual forwards hitting big scores. For example Caoimhin O Reillys brother scored 0-9 last day, 7 from play. Fionntainn i think his name is. More critical almost than senior is that we get the right men in charge of u17 and u20 panels to bring what is obviously some great talent through.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Itchy on August 21, 2018, 07:01:42 PM
Cavan win through to the Gerry Reilly cup final (u16) where they  play Meath. Best longford in a tight enough game but I believe the played 3/4 of the game with 14 men. Prior to that they gave Dublin a awful hiding. What's encouraging is they seem to have some individual forwards hitting big scores. For example Caoimhin O Reillys brother scored 0-9 last day, 7 from play. Fionntainn i think his name is. More critical almost than senior is that we get the right men in charge of u17 and u20 panels to bring what is obviously some great talent through.

We've always done well at u16. Where I think we lose our way then is not enough strength and conditioning. At minor and u20 level this year it was evident. Then when we get to senior we are miles behind. Maybe county board should employ a full tine coach with responsibility for all county players.

Westside

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 21, 2018, 07:12:17 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 21, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

We've always done well at u16. Where I think we lose our way then is not enough strength and conditioning. At minor and u20 level this year it was evident. Then when we get to senior we are miles behind. Maybe county board should employ a full tine coach with responsibility for all county players.

I always wonder if it's a football issue or a mental issue. Other teams seem to be able to up their game when it comes to Championship but we wilt at underage level. That follows through to senior. Maybe S&C is an issue.

The CB is advertising for a full time Head of Athletic Performance, maybe that will cover this sort of thing.

rodney trotter

The Donegal u20s were on a conditioning program from u15s. Downes was saying Cavan done very little in the gym. Plus the Cavan u20 team were small, none of the forwards were 6ft or over

cavanmaniac

A few early interviews with the new man. Speaks about balancing the attacking/defending and getting some players back. I like that he's not buying into that jaded claptrap about "we don't have the players" although of course you'd hardly expect him to say otherwise!

http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//sport/gaafootball/2018/08/22/news/cavan-need-their-best-players-playing-says-new-boss-graham-1413239/content.html

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/3015823/new-cavan-boss-mickey-graham-expecting-baptism-of-fire-as-he-starts-breffni-reign-in-division-1/