GAA in Britain

Started by BennyHarp, June 20, 2007, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Thought you might have known carnaross! Probably should have just gave you a ring!! ???
That was never a square ball!!

amigo

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 21, 2008, 02:41:59 PM
Thought you might have known carnaross! Probably should have just gave you a ring!! ???

Benny what is your home club here in Ireland ! You still stay in contact with them ?? Or do you concentrate fully with your new club.

inisceithleann

I think generally the standard isn't too bad at the minute. It's interesting though that a fair few club's players are mostly young professionals, here to settle for a good while and aren't that over reliant on students. John Mitchel's had hardly any students on their starting 15.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

screenexile

Yeah I played last year for a while and I was well impressed with the standard both of Uni teams and Club teams in Lancashire. With the creation of these new Development officers in each County I think things can only get better for the English teams and hopefully a crop of new Homegrown players will help to strengthen the game throughout. More kids playing our games can only be a good thing for the association and I think the talk of GAA entering the Olympics as a demonstration sport is a great idea which can only help to promote our cause further throughout the world!

BennyHarp

QuoteBenny what is your home club here in Ireland ! You still stay in contact with them ?? Or do you concentrate fully with your new club.

My club back in Ireland is Dungannon Clarkes in Tyrone, played for them until I came over to England about 7 years ago! I still keep a keen interest in how they get on as alot of my mates (and some family) still play with them!

BennyHarp

NOTICED THIS ARTICLE IN HOGANSTAND QUOTING DANIEL MCDONAGH, HE'S VERY RIGHT!!!

Exiles need help from Croker 'to survive' - McDonagh
22 January 2008

GAA clubs in Britain will be in danger of folding if they don't get more support from Croke Park, a leading gael in Liverpool has claimed.

Daniel McDonagh, co-manager and chairman of Liverpool-based club John Mitchells, made the claim after his side lost to Cork's Canovee in last weekend's All-Ireland JFC quarter-final.

"Financially and administration wise it is hard," McDonagh said. "I'm not saying it is easy to run a club at home.

"I know in my own club in Ballina how difficult it is. But, in England, we are working and having to travel all the time for matches.

"I'm not giving out about this. We did it and have no problem doing it. But for club football in England to survive Croke Park must look at it and help us out a bit more."

carnaross

Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

Glensman

Anyone find a report from the mitchells/canovee game

carnaross

This from the Irish Post!!

BRITISH champions John Mitchels bowed out of the AIB All-Ireland Junior Championship with a quarter-final defeat to Cork side Canovee at Cloughduv, Co. Cork on Saturday.

With heavy wind and rain the conditions were not the best for a good game of football with a lot of missed catches and misplaced passes.

John Mitchels, playing with the strong breeze in the first-half, took the lead in the first minute with a free from Paul Melanaphy but Pat Dunlea soon equalised with a free from distance.

Another Melanaphy free after 10 minutes gave the lead back to the visitors and it was not until the 21st minute that Canovee again equalised through Kevin Walsh.

Eamon Lyons finally put the Cork side ahead on 27 minutes and it seemed they would go in leading at the interval but in the 30th minute the Exiles retook the lead with full-forward Shane McCann punching home brilliantly from a Padraig Brennan ball across the goal.

Another Melanaphy free gave them a 1-3 to 0-3 lead at half-time. Canovee almost cancelled out this advantage immediately after the break but Mitchels full-back Colin Phillips made a great diving block as Kevin Walsh shot.

Quickfire points from Walsh and a Dunlea free reduced the lead to one by 35 minutes and then Cork minor star Con Dunne levelled for Canovee before Dunlea sent over a 45 to give them the lead.

Kevin Walsh had a great chance of a goal for Canovee on 44 minutes but his low, close-range effort went just wide and Paul Healy pointed straight after to give them a two-point lead.

Mitchels John McDermott pointed on 46 minutes but this would prove to be the visitors only score of the second-half and their chances took a hammer blow immediately.

Canovee keeper Tim Lyons sent a booming kickout after the point which landed well inside the Mitchels half. Dunlea and O'Mahony linked well to set up Walsh and he sent a great shot across Carter into the back of the net.

Two minutes later Dunlea further solidified Canovee's lead and he added another free on 55 minutes. Mitchels pushed for scores to bring them back into the game but Canovee's defence was resolute and Paul Healy notched the final score, catching a Carter kickout and sending over a nice point to leave the final score 1-11 to 1-4.

Canovee now face Galway's St. Colmans in the All-Ireland semi-final in Askeaton, Co. Limerick next weekend.

Canovee: Tim Lyons; J McCarthy, J Scanlon (capt), Timmy Lyons; J O'Brien, T Murphy, B Ahern; E Lyons, B O'Donoghue; T O'Mahony, P Dunlea, D O'Sullivan; C Dunne, K Walsh, P Healy. Subs: D Cronin for Walsh (55). Scorers: P Dunlea 0-5 (03f, 0-1 45), K Walsh 1-2, P Healy 0-2, E Lyons, C Dunne 0-1 each.

John Mitchels: W Carter; A Brady, C Phillips, D Aspel; G McNamee, S Rice, C Cunningham; J Morgan, J McDermott; P Brennan, K Kane, R Mullan; P Melanaphy, S McCann, P McGlenaghan. Subs: E Hughes for Phillips (38, inj.), D McConnell for Mullan (43), B O'Reilly for McGlenaghan (57), R McCrossan for Aspel (60). Scorers: S McCann 10, P Melanaphy 0-3 (0-3f), J McDermott 0-1.

Referee: Maurice Condon (Waterford).
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

BennyHarp

National Football League Div 4 RESULT

Tipperary 1-23 London 0-4

This looks pretty bad! Roll on Kilkenny game!

thejuice

We're (Roger Casements, Coventry) are back training hard already, new manager is really making us work hard especially on fitness. Only problem is theres only between 6-8 players turning up. We've had to cancel 2 challenge games already. Suppose its typical of the time of year with soccer and rugby also on the go.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

inisceithleann

Started back for pre season training tonight with St Peter's in Manchester. Not a bad session. We're training at Man City's youth acamedy complex, with one of their fitness coaches. His training is excellent and training on the synthetic pitches is great at this time of year. Long way off full fitness though, like many others I imagine.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

BennyHarp

Quote from: inisceithleann on March 04, 2008, 09:48:33 PM
Started back for pre season training tonight with St Peter's in Manchester. Not a bad session. We're training at Man City's youth acamedy complex, with one of their fitness coaches. His training is excellent and training on the synthetic pitches is great at this time of year. Long way off full fitness though, like many others I imagine.

What you make of the new pennine league system then, inisceithleann? I think it should spice things up a bit!!

screenexile

Good man inisceithlann! How are Peter's shaping up this year? Are there many new lads in? It'll take a few more boys to beat Mitchel's this year I'd say.

What's the craic with the new Penine League system Benny? I haven't heard about it.

BennyHarp

QuoteWhat's the craic with the new Penine League system Benny? I haven't heard about it.

The Pennine League last year comprised 10 teams playing each other once. It was agreed during the last year that this year's competition would comprise two leagues with the top six from last year making up division 1 and the bottom four going into division 2 (St. Lawrence's, St. Brendan's, John F. Kennedy's and St. Anne's) plus Hugh O'Neill's and possibly Ellan Vannen Gaels from the Isle of Man.

The IOM team are not fielding in the Pennine League and Cuchullain's from Newcastle replaced them. With many of their players already living in the North East, apparantly Young Irelands agreed to allow them go into the first division and they (YI's) would play in division 2, though i was speaking to a few YI players and they were not consulted about this and arent too happy about the situation! Each team will play each other both at home and away.