GAA in Britain

Started by BennyHarp, June 20, 2007, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Benny, why not edit your first post and just say GAA in Britain? Clear and unambiguous.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

carnaross

Sunday sees a semi-final in Leeds (Beeston) at 1.00pm between St. Benedicts Harps and St. Peter's from Manchester. This should be a cracking game as both sides will be flat out to get a chance against either Oisins (Manchester) and John Mitchel's (Liverpool) who play iin the other semi.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

screenexile

Is that tomorrow then??? Good Luck to the Peter's lads anyway although I'm sure they'll get past it easy having beaten Oisin's the other night. I fancy Mitchels to come through the second semi final to set up the big game. Also fancy a Peter's Mitchells Lancashire county final later in the year as well!

carnaross

I think it's Sunday tomorrow!! As for Peter's getting past the semi-final easily - wait for the result, although your opinion is noted.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

screenexile

You're having a laugh son! Benedicts?? Sure they can't even beat Young Irelands or Huddersfield. Peter's have been going well all season and will walk into the final!

carnaross

Quote from: screenexile on July 08, 2007, 01:24:46 PM
You're having a laugh son! Benedicts?? Sure they can't even beat Young Irelands or Huddersfield. Peter's have been going well all season and will walk into the final!

You're the one having a laugh - St. Benedicts beat Bros. Pearse twice last week, once in the Pennine League 1/4 final and again in the Yorkshire League. Also beat Young Irelands in the Pennine League. As for Peter's walking into the final? Well, there were some suggestions that they would win by 10 -14 points from so-called experts on the Hogan Stand. Result: St. Benedicts 0 - 10 St. Peter's 1- 9, a victory for Peter's, but certainly no walk. (and Benedicts had a perfectly good goal disallowed in the first half).

carnaross

Pennine League Final in Manchester on Sunday at 1.00pm between St. Peters and John Mitchel's.

Leeds Irish Festival at the South Leeds Stadium (aka John Charles Stadium) in Beeston from noon today, Saturday and tomorrow Sunday. Saturday sees an under 14's competition. Sunday includes an under 10's display, the Yorkshire under 12's championship final and the Yorkshire minor final. There is also music, dancing and all sorts of activities to be enjoyed. Free entry, so no excuse.

screenexile

Well carnaross what do you reckon about this one?? I was nearly tempted to go back for it but for other commitments. I've been away for a month now although I've been hearing Peter's are going well but I'm sure JM's are too. I'd say it'll be a good tight match but I still fancy Peter's to shade it by a couple of points.

carnaross

IMHO I believe Mitchel's will win this one - they are a better team all round. Peter's beat us by double scores in the league but only by two points in the semi-final. Now whether that's because we have improved immensely or that they were missing players in the semi, I don't know, but that game could have gone either way. Mitchel's beat us comfortably in Liverpool, although we had five under 16's in the starting line-up (that was before the daft rule about under-age players was brought in). So, Mitchel's to win - not sure by how much tho'.

carnaross

I'm told Mitchel's won by three points despite Peter's being the better side. I guess it's scores that count.

screenexile

I see the mighty Benedict's got put back in their box at the weekend against the Young Irelanders!

I've a few mates playing for Irelands and they said thet Benedict's just don't have the quality or the bottle when it comes to the bigger matches and that Benedict's could beat YI's all year long but when it comes to a bigger game they just can't hack it!

carnaross

There's very little between Young Irelands and St. Benedicts. One team will win one day and the other will win the next day. YI's won the other day with two late points in a very good game played in a great spirit between two sets of players who get on very well together. There was no mention of St. Benedicts' so-called inability to "hack it in the big games" when I had a few drinks with the YI lads after the game last week. As I say most of the games between the two clubs are very close affairs.

BennyHarp

Does anybody have any scores from yesterdays all ireland junior clubu championships? How did John Mitchells from Liverpool get on in Cork? Any reports?
That was never a square ball!!

Glensman

No report as yet that I can see but John Mitchells got beat by 7 points I think.

carnaross