Best Club Rivalries in the GAA

Started by BallyhaiseMan, June 11, 2007, 04:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC1

Cavan:

Cavan Gaels vs. everyone
Mullahoran vs. Gowna
Belturbet vs. Drumlane
Shercock vs. Drumgoon or Knockbride (town vs. country)
Castlerahan vs. Ramor
Killeshandra vs. Cornafean

etc. etc.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Farrandeelin

Don't know if this is true or not, maybe it's just me but I think that Crossmolina dislike Knockmore more than Ballina and Ballina dislike Knockmore more than Crossmolina. Could Stephenite or any of the Deel Rovers lads say whether it's my own paranoia of these two clubs or not?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

orangeman

Without doubt, it has to be Ardboe and Moortown in Tyrone.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 12, 2007, 02:55:30 PM
Don't know if this is true or not, maybe it's just me but I think that Crossmolina dislike Knockmore more than Ballina and Ballina dislike Knockmore more than Crossmolina. Could Stephenite or any of the Deel Rovers lads say whether it's my own paranoia of these two clubs or not?
Ah no Farrandeelin we in cross dislike both Knockmore and Ballina equally :D :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

rosnarun

well like the rest of north mayo its those arrogsant show of pr!ck5 from Ardagh that we really can't stand
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

laceer

Quote from: orangeman on June 12, 2007, 02:58:05 PM
Without doubt, it has to be Ardboe and Moortown in Tyrone.
didn't frank mcguigan play against his brother in an ardboe v moortown county final?

magpie seanie

QuoteIn Sligo, Tourlestrane v Curry would be one of the main rivalries, indeed either v Tubber could be considered too. Same in West Sligo, Easkey v Enniscrone, Easkey v Farnan's, C'connor v Enniscrone, take your pick. Coolera v Mary's or John's wouldn't be a dirty affair but no love lost there. Others would include Geevagh v St. Michael's (and either v Shamrock Gaels), Bunnies v Curry and Bunnies v Harps.

You could add Tourlestrane v. Easkey in recent times too. And of course Gaeil na hAbhainn Moire v. the Judaean Peoples Front.

shark

Well in Westmeath the two biggest would probably be Athlone v Garrycastle and Mullingar Shamrocks v The Downs in football, Lough Lene Gaels v Castlepollard in hurling.

Until the early 80's Athlone was the only club in the town until a fight over holiday money led to the formation of Garrycastle and a long drawn out court case.  Alot of the current Garrycastle team would be sons of those who led the breakaway.  Back in 2000 Des Dolan temporarily left the county panel after the on field treatment he got off Athlone defender Ollie Keating who was a Westmeath selector at the time.  Last year Garrycastle won their first ever championship game against Athlone.

The Downs - Shamrocks rivalry was also born in the 80's.  The Downs along with Athlone were the kingpins of Westmeath and in 86 Shamrocks finally beat them, starting a winning run which lasted till 2003.  In that game there was a massive sideline brawl, instigated by the Downs manager who has since led Shamrocks to two u-21 titles.  Earlier this year members of both teams brawled outside a Mullingar niteclub and Shamrocks won a championship encounter last month. To add spice, there were two sets of brothers in opposition and whats even more bizzare, one of the Shamrocks players father has a child with one of The Downs players wife.   :P No love lost there.

The Gaels and 'Pollard played in about 7/8 county finals against each other in recent years and generally hammer the crap out of each other.  Both teams are backboned by a group of brothers, and of course the brothers playing for Pollard are first cousins of those playing for the The Gaels. Lovely stuff.

thewingedlady

In Armagh, Granemore versus anyone. The biggest shower i've ever come across without doubt.

Rufus T Firefly

When thinking of the traditional big local rivalries/derbies in Armagh, the ones I would always think of are,

Maghery v Sarsfields
Clan na Gael v St Peters
Harps v Ogs
Cross v Silverbridge

Sarsfields, St Peters and Silverbridge have hit on lean times in recent years and the rivalries have tended to take a back seat through lack of games. Then the likes of Mullabawn for example come forward as a big rival of Cross. This rivalry is something relatively new in itself, as Mullabawn were a Junior side up until the late eighties. 

Stalin

Quoteforeglen and desertmartin
:D :D :D :D

clash of the titans if there ever was one! how or why this is a 'best club rivalry' is beyond me!
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 12, 2007, 05:23:29 PM
You could add Tourlestrane v. Easkey in recent times too. And of course Gaeil na hAbhainn Moire v. the Judaean Peoples Front.
Indeed, never thought of Easkey/T'strane. Must throw in Tubber v Mary's and Shams as well, a little bit of history there! The former pairing met in the finals of 76,77,79, 83-87 and 91, in the time when Mary's ruled the roost and could also give and take a few hits in the process.

As for our derby, now ten years reconstituted, well that speaks for itself. It may be a while before we renew acquintances again though, pity! Indeed there's also a bit of edge to our meetings with Shams (at most times) and Mullinabreena (more recent affairs). Then there's the crowd to the South as well...

Another two keen rivalries I've learned of during the college days - Hollymount v Garrymore in Mayo, and Ballinagh v Lacken in Cavan. Not sure of Leitrim, but I would imagine that Bornacoola and Annaduff have little love lost.

QuoteEarlier this year members of both teams brawled outside a Mullingar niteclub and Shamrocks won a championship encounter last month. To add spice, there were two sets of brothers in opposition and whats even more bizzare, one of the Shamrocks players father has a child with one of The Downs players wife.

The Gaels and 'Pollard played in about 7/8 county finals against each other in recent years and generally hammer the crap out of each other.  Both teams are backboned by a group of brothers, and of course the brothers playing for Pollard are first cousins of those playing for the The Gaels. Lovely stuff.
Class! ;D

Orior

Surely its Cross and Dromintee in Armagh?

I seem to remember Glen and Saval locking horns in my younger days in Down.

Poyntzpass are not really good enough to risk calling anyone a Rival  :(
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Over the Bar

Plenty of suggestions about.  Carrickmore v Errigal has a serious edge in Tyrone given the terrible episode and it's repercussions of a decade or so back.

Crossmaglen versus its neighbours Silverbridge, Dromintee etc I think would be bigger tho given that Cross poached players in search of glory from surrounding parishes which has seriously pissed off their neighbours.

armaghniac

Crossmaglen versus its neighbours Silverbridge, Dromintee etc I think would be bigger tho given that Cross poached players in search of glory from surrounding parishes which has seriously pissed off their neighbours.

Who would these be? I thought Crossbar had cleared up that point before.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B