Best Club Rivalries in the GAA

Started by BallyhaiseMan, June 11, 2007, 04:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glens73

Antrim Hurling - late 70's/early 80's Cushendall and Ballycastle

Derry football - late 80's/early 90's Lavey and Bellaghy - remember taking a mate, who didn't really like football, to watch these two play at Ballinascreen once around 94 or 95, he loved it.

Whitehair

In Down hurling, Ballycran, Ballygalget and Portaferry all on the ards peninsula, and the 3 contest the Senior Championship each year.

The Real Laoislad

In Hurling Castletown v Camross in Laois
You'll Never Walk Alone.

clootfromthe21

I think one of the stronegst rivalries anywhere must be Dunloy and Loughgiel. Whether it is the "best" is open to debate given some of the carry on that has gone on over the years. As is the way with most of these things, relations between the players seem (relatively) civilised compared to what  has gone on between fans of the respective clubs. 

fcuksake

In Armagh

Ogs V Harps
Cross V Mullabawn
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

blast05

For Mayo over the last10-15 years it would i suppose be any 2 of Knockmore, Ballina and Crossmolina - Ballina and Cross at the moment

pedro

pats and cooley definitely the big one in louth! i wouldnt say it is only since the pats started beating them, they have always hating each other and there have been some huge brawls in the last ten years!!
the three-game semi final saga last year was unreal.
i also noted a lot of neutrals from monaghan, down and armagh would have attended these games
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

corn02

Indeed Pedro, certainly alot of South Armagh folk would travel to The Cooley Pats macthes, there will usually be under half a dozen scores butyour guaranteed a bit of hard hitting.

Louth Exile

Quote from: pedro on June 11, 2007, 11:57:02 PM
pats and cooley definitely the big one in louth! i wouldnt say it is only since the pats started beating them, they have always hating each other and there have been some huge brawls in the last ten years!!
the three-game semi final saga last year was unreal.
i also noted a lot of neutrals from monaghan, down and armagh would have attended these games

I'd have to agree with Pedro here Mid Louth, you can't really name any other rivalry in the county that comes close to it in Louth?
And I'll have to correct on your first scoreline (you spotted the wicklow mistake in anothe thread ;) ) It should be Pats 2-0, Cooley 0-5
I'll never forget that game, one of the thousands of neutrals that went to it and without a shadow of a doubt the worst game of football I have ever seen.
Wouldn't be friendly with any cooley lads, but I know some very decent skins from Pats country and it is a pure and utter hatred, the brawls go to prove it. I would have to suggest that most neutrals going to a Pats V Cooley game are expecting a bit of a fight at least!

Other Counties
Meath - Simmonstown Gaels v Navan O'Mahonys
Monaghan - Ballybay v Latton
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

oakleaf stateside

in derry foreglen and desertmartin
Dont Do It

new devil

TYRONE- kildress V cookstown- the old firm

Owenmoresider

In Sligo, Tourlestrane v Curry would be one of the main rivalries, indeed either v Tubber could be considered too. Same in West Sligo, Easkey v Enniscrone, Easkey v Farnan's, C'connor v Enniscrone, take your pick. Coolera v Mary's or John's wouldn't be a dirty affair but no love lost there. Others would include Geevagh v St. Michael's (and either v Shamrock Gaels), Bunnies v Curry and Bunnies v Harps.

That said, haven't seen any real rows in club games here, then I went to the Cross-Ballina Mayo semi last year and saw more than I cared to remember! Another Mayo rivalry would be Belmullet v Kiltane, a rare meeting though?

Spiritof98

In Armagh as a Harps man the Ogs are the big rivals but the two teams both hate Keady, does anyone like Keady?? ???
I'll go back if Marsdens back

thebandit

Monaghan:
Blayney v Scotstown/Clontibret
Truagh v Emyvale
Aughnamullen v Drumhowan
Currin v Killeevan
Toome v Blackhill

fcuksake

Cannot stand them.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.