Club Hurling

Started by BallyroanAbbey, April 16, 2017, 11:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

This new format has taken a lot of edge out of the matches early in the championship. The Camross and C/Ballacolla matches and Rathdowney-Errill vs Castletown matches were very one sided. Castletown were unlikely to have troubled a full strength R/E team in fairness to where they are in their development but C/B didn't hurl knowing that they were safe once Camross got into the game. I think that the 6 teams remaining will be at a different level come September. The relegation match could go either way but Castletown would probably be favourites for the drop given their last two hammerings.

HURLING1

C/Ballacolla lay down when the went behind but I'm sure they will have  plenty left in them for B/K and will be a different animal next day.
R/E looked impressive .
Camross and Ballinakill will be happy to be in the semi finals but if the last few years are anything to go by the 5 week break was very detrimental as whoever the meet will be fired up with extra match under their belt.
All to play for yet.

Ogie

I agree group format seemed to lack any real edge to the games.
Camross improving all the time, look the team to beat.
Rathdowney Errill I would think will get through to final defeating Abbeyleix & Ballinakill
Borris Kilcotton poor all through so far, Clough Ballacolla will probably account for them & face off again with Camross, maybe give a bigger better performance

merman

Good to see you back Ogie.

If RE and CB both win; I believe I'm right in saying there would be a draw for the semi-finals.

I think it's a moot point anyway; can't see CB living with the BK forwards.
RE should account for an Eoin Reilly-less Abbeyleix with a bit to spare.

I agree the new format has removed some of the edge. It'll be an interesting decision for the clubs and Conty board; round robins are proving very popular at national level; should we buck the trend and revert back?

Unlaoised

Borris might just have a say yet I wouldn't rule them out.

Ballyfin for the chop...

Ballinakill could suprise R/Erill!
LAOIS ABÚ

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

there will be no extra draw for the semi finals.....the path is already decided, ie....winners Gp A play the winners of the tie involving 3rd Gp A and 2nd Gp B, in one semi and winners Gp B play the winners of 3rd Gp B and 2nd Gp A in the other one.

Hence the draw is Camross V Borris/C Ballacolla, and Ballinakill v Abbeyleix/Rathd Errill.

steven seagal

Quotethere will be no extra draw for the semi finals.....the path is already decided, ie....winners Gp A play the winners of the tie involving 3rd Gp A and 2nd Gp B, in one semi and winners Gp B play the winners of 3rd Gp B and 2nd Gp A in the other one.

Hence the draw is Camross V Borris/C Ballacolla, and Ballinakill v Abbeyleix/Rathd Errill.

That's not the case at all, the path isn't decided, seeding applies in the semi-final draw. If Clough-Ballacolla and Rathdowney-Errill win then it goes to an open draw, and likewise if Abbeyleix and Borris-Kilcotton win. If one team from each group wins in the quarter-final, RE and BK for example, then it is predetermined, because the seeding means RE can't play Camross again, and BK can't play Ballinakill.

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

I stand corrected if that is the case steven....no doubt rathdowney will be silently hoping borris turn over cb.

merman

Expecting wins for RE and BK tomorrow.
RE look to be hitting form at the right time and could well be best-placed to overturn Camross. Can't see Abbeyleix getting within 10.
Rumour is that Neil Foyle is out for BK; not sure if that's true but as dangerous as Foyle is, it probably means moving even more pace into the BK full-forward line. If they get in for a goal or two early they could run riot again. If it's close with 10 to go, I could sway towards CB but I've a sneaky feeling this one could be put to bed early. BK by 9.

Senior A: As poor as they've been, one would have to expect Portlaoise to beat Shanahoe Gaels. They'll have Flanagan and Geaney back from the states so they might just have too much. Portlaoise by 6.
Colt Gaels aren't up to a whole lot; amalgamation hasn't progressed and training isn't going well. Rosenallis will have too much. Rosenallis by 7.

Intermediate: If CB can stop Ben Conroy, they have a chance. Young Conway could be crucial for them. CB might just edge this even though I backed Slieve Bloom at the start of the championship. CB by 3.
BK should have too much for a Camross side who have lost a good few to their senior team. They've good firepower up front. BK by 11.

burdizzo

Good assessment. I think, in the intermediate, CB will be too fast for Slieve Bloom, and if they do win, they ought to win the final, too. They benefit a lot from, presumably, training with the seniors. Colt are having a bad year, and I think they'll slide a bit over the next few, too.

BallyroanAbbey

Portlaoise got out of jail big time last night against shanahoe who missed several chances near the end along with a few very questionable ref decisions against them. Cant see portlaoise going much further. Rosenallis had way too much pace and skill for a poor looking colt outfit, second half was a massacure.

Surprised to see camross in the intermediate final considering they struggled to get past ballypickas and ratheniska/timahoe. Cant see them making up a 13 point gap on a slieve bloom team with a good defence and 2 extremely dangerous forwards. Good to see Slieve Bloom and Mountmellick in the finals and Kyle win the junior B too, always back the first teams

blueandwhite1

Quote from: merman on September 08, 2018, 11:51:04 AM
Expecting wins for RE and BK tomorrow.
RE look to be hitting form at the right time and could well be best-placed to overturn Camross. Can't see Abbeyleix getting within 10.
Rumour is that Neil Foyle is out for BK; not sure if that's true but as dangerous as Foyle is, it probably means moving even more pace into the BK full-forward line. If they get in for a goal or two early they could run riot again. If it's close with 10 to go, I could sway towards CB but I've a sneaky feeling this one could be put to bed early. BK by 9.

Senior A: As poor as they've been, one would have to expect Portlaoise to beat Shanahoe Gaels. They'll have Flanagan and Geaney back from the states so they might just have too much. Portlaoise by 6.
Colt Gaels aren't up to a whole lot; amalgamation hasn't progressed and training isn't going well. Rosenallis will have too much. Rosenallis by 7.

Intermediate: If CB can stop Ben Conroy, they have a chance. Young Conway could be crucial for them. CB might just edge this even though I backed Slieve Bloom at the start of the championship. CB by 3.
BK should have too much for a Camross side who have lost a good few to their senior team. They've good firepower up front. BK by 11.

Merman, you were flying with your predictions until you got to intermediate!

The first game in O'Moore Park went the way many expected but the second was a surprise. It wasn't that CB were beaten but that BK look every bit as good as when they won the title a couple of years ago. If they continue that form I fancy them to make another final. Pace and accuracy was impressive. Would be great to get Joe Campion and Aaron Dunphy back with the county.

merman

I wasn't in O'Moore Park yesterday and I take no joy in seeing such hammerings.
I think Abbeyleix and CB are in a fair degree of trouble over the next couple of years.
CB look an aging team and I'm not sure they have enough coming through to replacethe likes of Coonan, Hanlon and McEvoy. They've had a hell of a decade but I don't know if they'll be genuine contenders any more. Paul Cuddy looked a shrewd appointment but it doesn't seem to have worked out.

Abbeyleix have a few good, young hurlers but I fear that there is a swing towards football at underage level. A lot of their best prospects are dual players and I just wonder will they end up prioritising football with a Ballyroan Abbey team who are seen as potential challengers to Portlaoise over the next decade. They have some good hurlers but have become very easy to play against and avoiding relegation will likely be the height of their ambition next year.

The Senior A semi-finals were poor fare.
Portlaoise got out of jail and had Shanahoe Gaels finished a fraction of their chances; they'd have stunned them. They needed more from Leigh Bergin too I felt.
Cahir Healy went off with a nasty head injury; I hope he's ok.

Rosenallis were so far ahead of Colt Gaels, it was actually uncomfortable to watch. That Gaels amalgamation looks dead to me; I don't see how it's benefiting either side.
I think Rosenallis will give The Harps a decent game but I just don't think they have the defenders to hold them for 60.

The PRO

Quote from: merman on September 10, 2018, 02:29:55 PM
I wasn't in O'Moore Park yesterday and I take no joy in seeing such hammerings.
I think Abbeyleix and CB are in a fair degree of trouble over the next couple of years.
CB look an aging team and I'm not sure they have enough coming through to replacethe likes of Coonan, Hanlon and McEvoy. They've had a hell of a decade but I don't know if they'll be genuine contenders any more. Paul Cuddy looked a shrewd appointment but it doesn't seem to have worked out.

Abbeyleix have a few good, young hurlers but I fear that there is a swing towards football at underage level. A lot of their best prospects are dual players and I just wonder will they end up prioritising football with a Ballyroan Abbey team who are seen as potential challengers to Portlaoise over the next decade. They have some good hurlers but have become very easy to play against and avoiding relegation will likely be the height of their ambition next year.

The Senior A semi-finals were poor fare.
Portlaoise got out of jail and had Shanahoe Gaels finished a fraction of their chances; they'd have stunned them. They needed more from Leigh Bergin too I felt.
Cahir Healy went off with a nasty head injury; I hope he's ok.

Rosenallis were so far ahead of Colt Gaels, it was actually uncomfortable to watch. That Gaels amalgamation looks dead to me; I don't see how it's benefiting either side.
I think Rosenallis will give The Harps a decent game but I just don't think they have the defenders to hold them for 60.
How do you see Portlaoise doing against Clonaslee?

merman

I haven't seen much of Clonaslee this year. It should be a close game; if I had to call it...maybe...Portlaoise might just edge it but that's more based off guesswork than any kind of form I'd have seen from them.