Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

befair

V disappointing result in Ballymartin tonight. Rostrevor were 6 pts ahead with 10 mins to go (actually 7 pts, as scoreboard was wrong), and we took off two of our strongest players and ball winners, conceded a soft goal + ended up losing by two points. Don't usually like to blame management, as we had enough chances to win two games, and should have been out of sight, but these were bizarre decisions

upandwin

Quote from: Hedgehunter on August 20, 2018, 06:53:31 PM
Quote from: elk on August 20, 2018, 04:35:57 PM
Quote from: downjim on August 20, 2018, 02:48:04 PM
It should be the four quarter finalists into the semis and then it's the luck of the draw. CPN were not grear in Saturday and failed to cope with men behind the ball.
CPN definitely did struggle with the packed defense but Glenn started to tire in the second half and CPN took over until that strange goal at the end but CPN's fitness told in extra time. Have to say I was disappointed with the performances of the 3 Down men for Glenn and the one for CPN, did not stand out in a very ordinary game.
Yes Glenn did tire towards the end, thought Ronan Millar and Gary McMahon were very good. McMahon most certainly saved CPN though in the 60mins. Although a tight game he saved 2 almost certain goals and good accurate kicking. Glenn's lack of depth showed in the end as they had very little to come on and freshen things up where as CPN did. We can definitely take credit from our 2 championship performances to date considering our severely indifferent league form.
That was always gonna be a tricky tie for CPN-Actually fancied Glenn to pip them before throw in (The reason Why I don't gamble)...Agreed thought Miller and McMahon were impressive but no eye catching performances on the day tbh other than them and Ryan Magee for CPN. Rostrevor put a good show on last night, Bryansford will count themselves extremely lucky to still be in this championship. Can't see them beating the town-But I've been wrong before ::)

Smurfy123

The Banty to be confirmed as the new Down manager going by tomorrow's Irish news. Jesus where did that come out off? Done very well with Monaghan minors this year

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Smurfy123 on August 21, 2018, 09:27:14 PM
The Banty to be confirmed as the new Down manager going by tomorrow's Irish news. Jesus where did that come out off? Done very well with Monaghan minors this year

They tweeted that he had expressed an interest and had been in contact with the CB, I'm not sure that's quite as far as confirming him (unless there's something else?).

Smurfy123

It said he had been contacted by Down and has said he is interested. That's a curveball nobody seen

bannside

I'd still be very surprised if it wasn't Paddy Tally, even more so if Benny Counter is alongside.

snoopdog

Banty would be just another disaster like he was at meath and wexford. Would be better going with another 90s legend from within. I was ootimistic with Tally but not journey man banty. He is good with monaghan he should stay there.

the goal was on

Back of Irish news will be all downs if Banty pulls this off!

downjim

Anyone else hear Niall McAleenan is in on wee Petes ticket along with Barney?

Brick Tamlin

This is absolutely bizarre.
Farcical. And being played out in public too.

There needs to be an appointment made and pretty soon.
Theyd need to get it right.

haranguerer

Banty is a good gaa man, but that'd be an awful appointment

Targetman

Just you stay where you are Banty and don't be coming anyway near us lot, its time this was sorted out with Tally being my choice over some of the other candidates, I suppose it's keeping the Irish News with material to fill the back page!!

supersub

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 22, 2018, 12:39:00 PM
This is absolutely bizarre.
Farcical. And being played out in public too.

There needs to be an appointment made and pretty soon.
Theyd need to get it right.

Public being journalists asking potential candidates questions to unearth some sort of story. Speculation around every management appointment everywhere. Hardly 'played out' in public!

Who is 'right' Brick?

Brick Tamlin

People declaring an interest through media connections and 'playing the game' to the detriment of the county.
Using local media to further own agenda. Leaking the names of selection panel. Adding fuel to fire by making announcements through social media; announcements and news that really isnt their place to be leaking.
The whole circus has been played out too publicly and certain people have been lapping it up and stirring the pot because they cant help themselves when a 'jouranlist' (use that term loosely) or buddy with a camera or microphone want a soundbite.

Any man worth his salt and appropriate for the county manager role wouldnt be courting the publicity and playing to the gallery that some guys have been. Theyd be sorting it out behind closed doors, not posturing before the gallery.

2 suitable candidates and only 2 men id let near it would be Malachy O'Rourke or Tally.
But wouldnt be surprised if they wouldnt touch it with thecircus thats been going on recently.

thewobbler

Brick, you're fairly getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. We either want media coverage of our games or we don't. If we do, then managerial speculation is going to take place and there's no way to control it.

The selection panel wasn't leaked. It was announced to the clubs, who otherwise would have inundated the board with questions and paranoid waffle. This is what should happen in a member based organisation.

Lastly, you let yourself down by mentioning Malachy O'Rourke. It's like a West Ham fan giving off about appointing Pelligrini when Pochettino should be offered the job.