Recommended surround sound for TV?

Started by under the bar, May 18, 2010, 01:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

I've bought myself a big Panasonic 46".  Super job.   Now I need a decent sound system for it.   

I saw one in Makro that clips around the back and on each side so it looks like an extension of the TV itself which I liked.  I dont have a whole lot of room either side for floor standing speakers and am not fussed on wires trailing all ove the place.

Has anyone got the one I've decribed or can they recommend any other one?

nrico2006

I am looking one myself soon, seems to be that you get them in package deals with the DVD players.  I have a 42s10 myself, and was wondering if those in the know could enlighten me with regard to the benefits (if there really are any) of going for a Panasonic system as opposed to some other brand, Viera link and all that. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Real Laoislad

The Bose ones are some job.
You can also get wireless systems if you don't want wires every where
You'll Never Walk Alone.

mick999

If ye want to go for the "real Mc Coy "

Pioneer Surround Sound Amp, Blue ray player + quality speakers , there are some great offers here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055911753

Ulick

Hard to get good quality wireless speakers, they need their own power source and to be honest I've yet to be convinced of their quality. You can get decent 'virtual' surround sound 2.1 setups but they can be very expensive for all you are getting.

Best option is to go for a proper audio visual amp and a separate 5.1 speaker system. I have this one http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-home-cinema-receiver/str-dg820 which is pretty good but a big feature for me was the BRAVIA Sync as I've also got a Sony telly (don't need remotes all over the place to control things). Means then you just plug all your extra devices (DVD, games consoles, PCs, HTPCs etc) into the amp and it'll do any required upscaling before delivery to the telly.

To keep everything tidy, just buy some extra speaker wire, run it round your skirtings to wall mounted speakers and fix them down with those little clips on a pin. If you put a bit of effort into doing a good job they'll never be noticed. 

Main Street

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 18, 2010, 01:29:32 PM
The Bose ones are some job.
You can also get wireless systems if you don't want wires every where
Mostly you get what you pay for re speakers, but Bose are way overpriced for average sound, some would say a sound that develops into an extremely annoying irritation, others don't mind the sound. I actually hate the pair of Bose Companions I have connected to my computer.

I take it that UTB want a complete all in one  surround HT system, amp and speakers. Small room? wants a tidy system, does not need a blaster sound system to fill the space and probably would like acceptable quality for also listening at low volumes.
The safest bet is to go with something like the  Panasonic SC-BT330  £480 if he doesn't mind paying for Blue ray
or the no Blue Ray Panasonic Tall Boy system for  £290.
After that I would look at the similar priced systems from Pioneer, Samsung, or  Sony Bravia Dav  < £250.

Croí na hÉireann

Bought the 42G20B recently and absolutely delighted with it apart from the sound so will be keeping an eye on this thread. I'm leaning towards a 2.1 system though as cabling to rear speakers would be problematic and don't watch enough DVD's to justify 5.1...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Ulick

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 18, 2010, 02:57:47 PM
Bought the 42G20B recently and absolutely delighted with it apart from the sound so will be keeping an eye on this thread. I'm leaning towards a 2.1 system though as cabling to rear speakers would be problematic and don't watch enough DVD's to justify 5.1...

Which is the problem with Home Theatre Systems out of a box. If you have a separate amp then you can run everything through that, which means your not restricted to DVDs and the like, so whether it's satellite, PCs, CDs, DVDs, games consoles, radio, or any other device you can think off, you have the option of listening in proper surround sound. 

mick999

Agree with the other posters on getting a proper seperates AV surround sound amp plus speakers ..

I recently got a Denon 1910 AV amp plus a 7.1 speaker set up ( in-wall speakers )Terrific sound !!

Bought it through Richer sounds ..They do some great offers throught boards.ie ..

I think the offer that I posted earlier is brilliant value ..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055911753

You can get a Pioneer AV Surround Sound Amp plus Blue Ray player

Plus a 5.1 speaker set - Tannoy SFX5.1 system including sub woofer , all for 500 STG.

With the dedicated surround sound amp, you just feed all your inputs into the amp, connect the Amp via HDMI to your TV and connect up your speakers directly to the Amp, and away you go ...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Ulick on May 18, 2010, 03:09:42 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 18, 2010, 02:57:47 PM

Which is the problem with Home Theatre Systems out of a box. If you have a separate amp then you can run everything through that, which means your not restricted to DVDs and the like, so whether it's satellite, PCs, CDs, DVDs, games consoles, radio, or any other device you can think off, you have the option of listening in proper surround sound.

True, but most of the audio from them inputs are not designed for 5.1, i.e. I'm talking about the airplane sounding like it's flying from one side of your room to the other...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Main Street

I'd listen to stereo over 95% of the time.
Just adding a decent sub to a decent pair of front speakers is good enough for most films and way way better than the surround mix coming though surround speakers in plastic surrounds.
Why buy 5 or 7 speakers in plastic when you could buy 2 basic bookshelf speakers which give better sound for tv voice and film music? I have not heard a pair of speakers in a surround system that comes close to sounding like your basic pair of bookshelf speakers. Cheap surround is a vastly overhyped concept in modern consumerism, don't mind the flattering reviews, it's still sound coming out of fancy looking cheap plastic boxes.

The prices are good for the separates mentioned by Mick.
I was thinking to buy that cheap pioneer amp for my daughter a while back but it sounded very ordinary to me.
The stereo sound is no better than an old old bog standard Marantz pm50 amp. I have.  Just because they are separates does not mean quality. You have to step up the ladder for quality speakers /amp or build your own amp/ speakers.

For someone wanting a tidy surround system in a small room that mates perfect with a Panny tv then the
Panasonic tall boys SC-BT300 has a nice enough sound. The speakers and sub are way above standard for an 'all in one'
and is 1/2 the price of the cheapest set of separates.

Ulick

For an decent entry level av receiver&amp that's going to being giving you crystal quality at low volumes with at least 4 HDMI you're probably talking over £300. Obviously you're going to need a decent speaker system to go with that and again entry level would be about £90 and a lot further up.

No matter how many sound channels is coming from the input device the amp will deliver them intelligently around the speaker system with lots of options for tweaking.

Simply sticking a pair of speakers onto your tv or DVD player, as I think MS is suggesting, won't give you best output as you are relying on the telly to do your audio decoding, which frankly isn't what they are built to do, then presumably you have the untidy wires (I assume those tallboys aren't passive?). I reckon it's preferable to get a decent set of small, quality, speakers which can be discretely mounted around the room with the wires tucked out of the way around the skirting.

Main Street

I didn't suggest not using an amp, but whatever amp you use, a pair of decent bookshelves will sound a lot better than little plastic enclosed speakers.
Also the Panasonic tall boys is part of an all in one  with dvd/ amp and speaker output is as good as and superior to those 5/1 separates.

DickyRock

Have a look at the Onkyo HT-S3305 from richer sounds. Great budget seperates system for around £300. Got one myself and think it's great. Seperates are better as you can upgrade the parts seperately.     

Ulick

Quote from: Main Street on May 18, 2010, 09:01:49 PM
I didn't suggest not using an amp, but whatever amp you use, a pair of decent bookshelves will sound a lot better than little plastic enclosed speakers.
Also the Panasonic tall boys is part of an all in one  with dvd/ amp and speaker output is as good as and superior to those 5/1 separates.

Just had a look at it - there's no video inputs and only two optical imputs. So okay if you want to watch DVDs, but not exactly future proofed (no good for any other devices without running separate cables to tv and amp - unlikely as most devices are moving to HDMI).