American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Pujols ain't on the list

Names start at Page 179 if you want to know

dec

The list

Marvin Benard, Barry Bonds, Bobby Estalella, Jason Giambi, Jeremy Giambi, Benito Santiago, Gary Sheffield, Randy Velarde, Lenny Dykstra, David Segui,
Larry Bigbie, Brian Roberts, Jack Cust, Tim Laker, Josias Manzanillo, Todd Hundley, Mark Carreon, Hal Morris, Matt Franco, Rondell White,
Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, Chuck Knoblauch, Jason Grimsley, Gregg Zaun, David Justice, F.P. Santangelo, Glenallen Hill, Mo Vaughn, Denny Neagle,
Ryan Franklin, Chris Donnels, Todd Williams, Phil Hiatt, Todd Pratt, Kevin Young, Mike Lansing, Cody McKay, Kent Mercker, Adam Piatt,
Miguel Tejada, Jason Christiansen, Mike Stanton, Stephen Randolph, Jerry Hairston, Jr., Paul Lo Duca, Adam Riggs, Bart Miadich, Fernando Vina, Kevin Brown,
Eric Gagni, Mike Bell, Matt Herges, Gary Bennett, Jr., Jim Parque, Brendan Donnelly, Chad Allen, Jeff Williams, Howie Clark, Exavier "Nook" Logan,
Daniel Naulty, Rick Ankiel, David Bell, Paul Byrd, Jose Canseco, Jay Gibbons, Troy Glaus, Jason Grimsley, Jose Guillen, Jerry Hairston, Jr.,
Darren Holmes, Gary Matthews, Jr., John Rocker, Ismael Valdez, Matt Williams, Steve Woodard

magickingdom

Quote from: J70 on December 13, 2007, 04:37:42 AM
Get your money on the Jets. Surely even they can beat a 24 point spread!

Or maybe not...

I hope they have new signals this time.

the jets are bad but their not that bad, they have to be worth a punt. i was in ny the past two weeks and the jets and patriots were playing the same time last sunday. we were eating in a bar and everyone was watching the patriot game and ignoring the jet game!! also see some of the jets fans are still causing trouble at the games despite all the efforts to get them to cop on. on the boxing front ricky hattons supporters gave the us national anthem the boos which did not go down to well in the pub i watched it in..

dec

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 13, 2007, 10:53:09 PM
Any American Sports worth seeing in Florida over the Christmas holidays?
Where in Florida

College football bowl games

Champs Sports: Boston College vs. Michigan State    Orlando, Fla.    Dec. 28, 5 p.m.
Capital One: Michigan vs. Florida    Orlando, Fla.    Jan. 1, 2008, 1 p.m.
FedEx Orange: Virginia Tech vs. Kansas    Miami    Jan. 3, 2008, 8 p.m.

NFL: Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Miami
NHL: Tampa Bay , Florida (Miami)
NBA: Orlando, Miami

FL/MAYO

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 13, 2007, 10:53:09 PM
Any American Sports worth seeing in Florida over the Christmas holidays?

Five times, when will you be in Florida and where will you be staying?

dec

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 14, 2007, 07:28:15 PM
We will be staying in Port Charlotte from 20th to 30th. Its an hour and a half from Tampa.

Probably a little far from Orlando or Miami.

Your only hope then would be Tampa Bay Lightning (ice hockey, cue heganboy's protestations that it is not a real sport :) )

Thu, Dec 20    Toronto    7:30 PM
Sat, Dec 22    Carolina    7:30 PM
Thu, Dec 27    Montreal    7:30 PM
Sat, Dec 29    Philadelphia    1:00 PM

or

Tampa Bay Buccaneers , American Football if you are around on the Sunday

SUN, DEC 30 Carolina at Tampa Bay    1:00 PM

FL/MAYO

Quote from: dec on December 14, 2007, 07:48:59 PM
We will be staying in Port Charlotte from 20th to 30th. Its an hour and a half from Tampa.

Probably a little far from Orlando or Miami.

Your only hope then would be Tampa Bay Lightning (ice hockey, cue heganboy's protestations that it is not a real sport :) )

Thu, Dec 20    Toronto    7:30 PM
Sat, Dec 22    Carolina    7:30 PM
Thu, Dec 27    Montreal    7:30 PM
Sat, Dec 29    Philadelphia    1:00 PM

or

Tampa Bay Buccaneers , American Football if you are around on the Sunday

SUN, DEC 30 Carolina at Tampa Bay    1:00 PM

Its a pity you were not here Sunday as I had a spare ticket to watch the mighty Miami Dolphins.

Puckoon

Quote from: FL/MAYO on December 13, 2007, 04:37:12 PM
I will be going to the Dolphins game Sunday, I am surprised the spread is only 3.5 thought the Ravens would be favoured by more.
Bloody Mary at 9am to start the day then a bit of tailgating,  hopefully we will celebrating our first victory with a cigar and whiskey when we get home. Forecast is for 80 Degrees with a chance of rain, should be a good days crack. If we don't win this week we will just have to beat the Patriots in New England the following week (guessing the spread will be close to 40 for that one) ...some chance. The Bengals the last week might be our only chance for a win. Who would ever have thought that the Dolphins could go 0 and 16 times have changed down here bring back Marino.

6 of the dolphins losses have been by a fieldgoal. I dont think they are much more than +3.5 underdogs in this game. I think the weather in foxboro could well make a punt on the jets worthwhile - not for me though...

SeanSouth

Was watching "who is ?" on Sky last weekend, Devin Hester is about to beat Brian Mitchells NFL record for most return touchdowns (kickoff & punt)......The amazing thing is Hester is in his 2nd season, it took Mitchell 13 seasons.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: SeanSouth on December 15, 2007, 10:47:07 AM
Was watching "who is ?" on Sky last weekend, Devin Hester is about to beat Brian Mitchells NFL record for most return touchdowns (kickoff & punt)......The amazing thing is Hester is in his 2nd season, it took Mitchell 13 seasons.

Hester is something else SS , the buzz of anticipation around Soldier Field before he receives the ball is unreal
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Puckoon on December 15, 2007, 12:49:52 AM
Quote from: FL/MAYO on December 13, 2007, 04:37:12 PM
I will be going to the Dolphins game Sunday, I am surprised the spread is only 3.5 thought the Ravens would be favoured by more.
Bloody Mary at 9am to start the day then a bit of tailgating,  hopefully we will celebrating our first victory with a cigar and whiskey when we get home. Forecast is for 80 Degrees with a chance of rain, should be a good days crack. If we don't win this week we will just have to beat the Patriots in New England the following week (guessing the spread will be close to 40 for that one) ...some chance. The Bengals the last week might be our only chance for a win. Who would ever have thought that the Dolphins could go 0 and 16 times have changed down here bring back Marino.

6 of the dolphins losses have been by a fieldgoal. I dont think they are much more than +3.5 underdogs in this game. I think the weather in foxboro could well make a punt on the jets worthwhile - not for me though...

Fingers crossed with Fins tomorrow. The Jets might be worth a few dollars with that spread but I hear the Pats what to show them up after the spying scandal earlier in the year.

J70

I know Port Charlotte well. Its a nice quiet town, but not a lot happens there, and virtually nothing of note sportswise! The Texas Rangers used to have spring training there up until a couple of years ago (so you'd get friendly games against the likes of the Yankees), but the town hasn't been able to attract any other major league teams since they left for Arizona. There were rumours of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays moving their training there from 2009, but I'm not sure if that is confirmed.

If you're down Fort Myers direction, Sanibel and Captiva are worth a visit, particularly if you're into wildlife (the JD Ding Darling preserve is great for birds and alligators). Also, there is a Henry Ford-Thomas Edison museum in Fort Myers based around their old winter residences (they literally lived across the street from each other). There is (or at least used to be) a manatee sanctuary along the Caloosahatchee River in Fort Myers. They have manatees and other animals on exhibit, and they run tours along the river and the mangroves to see them in the wild (alligators too). The Babcock Ranch, a few miles inland from Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda, does wildlife tours of the forests and swamps.

The whole Charlotte Harbor area is excellent for water sports or sailing, particular if you have friends who have a boat or if you want to do a bit of canoeing or something.

Puckoon

Pucks Pro Parlay Picks:

Packers (-8.5)
Titans (-3.5)
Seahawks (-7.5)
Colts (-10.5)

Im sure Ill get shafted on at least one, but sure its only 20$ and pays 10-1.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: the Deel Rover on December 15, 2007, 12:03:10 PM
Quote from: SeanSouth on December 15, 2007, 10:47:07 AM

Hester is something else SS , the buzz of anticipation around Soldier Field before he receives the ball is unreal

Puzzles me why teams keep kicking to him!

Gabriel_Hurl

quite fancy the Jets to cover the spread today