China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 10, 2020, 08:55:23 AM
A flight landed in Dublin airport this morning from Dallas.

Is there anyone else uneasy that Americans are free to visit Ireland at the minute?
I understand it will be driven by "our special relationship" with the US, but it does seem like this could lead to the re-introduction of greater instances of the virus.

If we don't prevent US flights landing here, then what is the point of blocking flights from any country at the minute?

You can't prevent movement of people, unless you live in a dictatorship. Hence why airports will always remain open.

Itchy

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 10, 2020, 09:18:31 AM

Is there anyone else uneasy that Americans are free to visit Ireland at the minute?
I understand it will be driven by "our special relationship" with the US, but it does seem like this could lead to the re-introduction of greater instances of the virus.

If we don't prevent US flights landing here, then what is the point of blocking flights from any country at the minute?

You can't prevent movement of people, unless you live in a dictatorship. Hence why airports will always remain open.

Eh, yes you can and you dont have to live in a dictatorship. Its crazy that flights like the above are coming in unless they are bringing Irish people home who will self isolate for 2 weeks. Tourists is absolutely crazy.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Itchy on July 10, 2020, 09:28:35 AM

Eh, yes you can and you dont have to live in a dictatorship. Its crazy that flights like the above are coming in unless they are bringing Irish people home who will self isolate for 2 weeks. Tourists is absolutely crazy.

How, exactly?

Bar the legal rammifcations on an island with two jurisdictions, that is one landmass.

Tony Baloney

The likes of NZ effectively closed their borders at the early stages of this and is considered the gold standard in Covid control. Hardly a dictatorship.

GetOverTheBar

They have the legal framework to do so. We do not.

Bar closing down the airports. Non issue.

Rossfan

The 6 Cos are now allowing people from 71 Countries to arrive without the need to isolate .
Not much point closing airports in the 26 then.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

More brains in a false face

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Rossfan on July 10, 2020, 09:37:32 AM
The 6 Cos are now allowing people from 71 Countries to arrive without the need to isolate .

Dr McBridie said they will following the London model on travel.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: trailer on July 10, 2020, 09:43:01 AM

More brains in a false face

That's a useful input.

Tell me, did Ireland (North or South) at any time during this most recent pandemic close the airports?

Wasn't there a big thing made of the Irish-Australians coming home around March time to help the fight?

They must have jumped onto the back of one of those Game of Thrones Dragons.

trailer

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 10, 2020, 09:44:11 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 10, 2020, 09:37:32 AM

Dr McBridie said they will following the London model on travel.

I know I say a bit but this time I really do mean it, there is more brains in a false face than there is in thon lad Dr Michael McBride. Completely out of his depth. Not a clue what to be at and now completely ducking all scrutiny. A manifestation of everything that is wrong with the North and the wankers in the Civil Service. A first class, career-loving, brown-nosing overpaid asshole.

Itchy

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 10, 2020, 09:35:23 AM

So you reckon an Irish government cannot close their own airports due to their own laws. I am sorry, I simply do not accept that and I dont think any right minded person can accept that. In times of crisis governments lead, they dont get led.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Itchy on July 10, 2020, 10:03:06 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 10, 2020, 09:35:23 AM

So you reckon an Irish government cannot close their own airports due to their own laws. I am sorry, I simply do not accept that and I dont think any right minded person can accept that. In times of crisis governments lead, they dont get led.

The Irish Govt. could close their own airports, they would have to gain the legal approval to do so (which they did not and would probably be still fighting to do so, if they had attempted to with the EU) hence why they didn't even bother. They knew the airlines tanking would for all intents and purposes close mass travel, which it did.

The right of freedom of movement is one of the most basic, core principles of the EU - https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:158:0077:0123:EN:PDF

My point is, with two jurisdictions on one Island and both, certainly at the start of the crisis having very different views. It is and was a no go. What would the point of Dublin closing, when Belfast could remain open and vice versa. Ireland simply does not have total control of it's borders but that's another thing altogether.

imtommygunn

If flights from the states were stopped I would suspect there would be implications. I almost feel that's the main danger we have here is more outbreaks coming in from America as it is so rife there.

Taylor

Flights from the States would absolutely be a massive concern - and a bigger concern of flights coming from Engerland.

It seems that many people in some States just dont give a f**k and are determind to carry on with life as normal.

I have relations out there (not Trump supporting so not going down that route) who said bars/restaurants are closed in their area but they still saw fit to go to a large wedding banquet or some sort where everyone was hugging/posing for photos/drinking together all night.

And we are letting these people into this island.

The mind boggles  :o

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Taylor on July 10, 2020, 10:51:13 AM
Flights from the States would absolutely be a massive concern - and a bigger concern of flights coming from Engerland.

It seems that many people in some States just dont give a f**k and are determind to carry on with life as normal.

I have relations out there (not Trump supporting so not going down that route) who said bars/restaurants are closed in their area but they still saw fit to go to a large wedding banquet or some sort where everyone was hugging/posing for photos/drinking together all night.

And we are letting these people into this island.

The mind boggles  :o

As long as their economy is ok, they tend to not really care for much else.