Laois Senior Football Championship 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, March 09, 2018, 12:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

Quote from: Laoiseabu on October 14, 2018, 06:46:21 PM
Just seen today why Portlaoise don't win leinsters anymore . Were very very average today
Didn't need to get out of third gear really. Good effort by O'Dempseys but really a shock was never on. Ricky Maher is a transformed player. I'd imagine Sugrue will be taking a look.

Laoiseabu

I'd disagree they were there for the taking today . O'Dempseys got very close to them on a few occasions

High Fielder

They did but they also got detached and opened up at times too. It was an odd game really. There is no doubt Portlaoise have problems at midfield. It is rare for them to claim possession from kick outs. They were also at sixes and sevens facing runners. Meredith and Kehoe punctured holes a number of times. But O'Dempseys were naive close to goal and, particularly up front, despite Portlaoise under performing, they didn't win enough personal battles. They had the best player on the pitch in Meredith, but nothing to accompany him. I thought Boyle was Portlaoise's main man. He put them on the front foot so many times and always used the ball well.

I don't know what the situation is with the hurling, but to my eye, Healy and McEvoy looked tired today. If the hurlers have to play in Leinster one week, and the footballers the next, I can't see that as being a good thing for dual players. Healy in particular was nowhere near his best today

Laoiseabu

I thought Healy was actually better than a lot of them . McEvoy was poor though . Wouldn't beat a Moorefield on that performance

the sash

thought healy was poor by his own  standards.  still a very good player but by the looks of it today i don't think he would have the pace for inter county football anymore. thought he was beatin rather easily at times when run at. portlaoise done enough to win and  never really looked like they were going to lose out having said that they did look vulnerable in the full back line and o'deas had 2 good goal chances which they missed and thought portlaoise's two goals were rather scrappy in the build up and could have been avoided

Don Draper

Ricky Maher man of the match in a senior county final, maybe it's true after all, Portlaoise are that far ahead of everyone that anyone could win a county title on that team.

Laoiseabu

Ricky actually played decent enough this year compared to previous years I thought Don

BallyroanAbu

I think Ricky had a right year, It's hard to judge a team when essentially they are playing the scoreboard.  I think Portlaoise played poorly and probably should have won easier they seemed to play in patches we shall see how they go by the end of the year.

town1980

Obviously delighted to win but going forward we are so open at the back we coughed up way too many opertunities in my opinion it's not like mal to do this but whoever is in his ear I hope we change tact from here on in otherwise we won't go further

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Don Draper on October 14, 2018, 09:12:20 PM
Ricky Maher man of the match in a senior county final, maybe it's true after all, Portlaoise are that far ahead of everyone that anyone could win a county title on that team.

Jesus that is some begrudgary the day after a county final.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on October 15, 2018, 10:24:28 AM

It's points to an age old problem in Laois first impressions are fact,  this year Ricky got himself in super shape worked hard and shoved it down everyone's throat.  Actually a lot more the type of personality in Laois that we should be looking for.  I don't know him from Adam but he should be proud of himself this year and is an example to every young player out there. Nothing like getting rewarded for hard work.

clonadmad

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on October 15, 2018, 10:34:23 AM
Quote from: blueandwhite1 on October 15, 2018, 10:24:28 AM

It's points to an age old problem in Laois first impressions are fact,  this year Ricky got himself in super shape worked hard and shoved it down everyone's throat.  Actually a lot more the type of personality in Laois that we should be looking for.  I don't know him from Adam but he should be proud of himself this year and is an example to every young player out there. Nothing like getting rewarded for hard work.

Well said

SCFC

Ah Don you're better than that.

Laoiseabu

Don begrudging Ricky Maher ? Ricky Maher transferred from Stradbally when he was a young lad ? Don your hardly a Stradbally man ?

Blow-in

Minor final decent contest. Ballyroan will probably be very disappointed to lose the lead but I think a draw fairest result. Looking forward to the replay.