Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Good man Muppet well done

magpie seanie

Really suffered on my 12k jaunt this evening. Almost 9k of it is on trails and some bitchin hills. The guy who was showing me the route is a bit better than me and used to the terrain and I found it bloody tough. Great now that it's done but was not planning on as tough a run.

imtommygunn

I see you got your parkrun bingo. Did you do it? Be good for the local area. I would guess tough enough course as i just had a look at the times.

Milltown Row2

In Newcastle for stag weekend.... Managed to 6 mile runs.... Lads are cracking up!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on July 04, 2015, 07:20:01 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 04, 2015, 02:30:40 PM
Today was torture.

When I sat in the car afterwards I saw it was 23 degrees, so I don't feel to bad.

At lot of people were walking, particularly in the last 3 kms, which was indicative of the tough conditions. A fella I met before the race came up to me afterwards and told me he didn't finish as his friend collapsed on the beach and was out cold. They took him away in an ambulance. Hopefully it was nothing serious. His mate reckoned it was dehydration.

I took the good advice given here after the DCM last October and got up early and had an electrolyte. I had never even heard of an electrolyte, but I was very glad at the end today I took it.

Results not up yet but it was around 2 hrs 7 mins which is a long way off what I did in November. But I was very happy to finish without giving up. The thickness got me home. The last 3kms I wanted to  try to keep increasing the speed but it was torture today and I slowed badly, except of course the daft 10 metre 'sprint' at the end, in case anyone is looking, which they aren't.

Anyway, we will see how the recovery goes before any silly decisions are made.

It was fair warm alright, but i have to say, the amount of water and bananas along the route was a credit to the organisers, fininshed in 2 hours bang on, really felt the last 2k, although we were lucky the wind was at our backs all the way round until the turn for home. A great event and well organised. A swim in the sea was after was almost worth the run.

I didn't see bananas along the route. I am guessing you did Achill? I did Clontarf.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Just checked my 5k splits.

27+, 28+, 29+, 33+. That tells the tale.  :D
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

I guess you could call it a battle of Clontarf for you muppet..!

I'll get my coat..........
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on July 05, 2015, 10:23:46 PM
I guess you could call it a battle of Clontarf for you muppet..!

I'll get my coat..........

There was free Erdinger afterwards, so it was the Bottle of Clontarf. (That is how my Clontarf mate pronounces it anyway :D)
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 05, 2015, 08:23:00 AM
I see you got your parkrun bingo. Did you do it? Be good for the local area. I would guess tough enough course as i just had a look at the times.

I did alright. Went well for the first one. Had 78 runners which wasn't bad considering they have planned a "soft" launch of it for this month - triathlon on next weekend on the course and the AC's club 10miler on last weekend of July, so its only on 2 outa 4 weekends in July which the Parkrun people where happy with and give organisers a chance to get used to it.

It a two lap course and on each lap there is a steady, testing climb for about 400m or so. It takes its toll on the times. Apart from that its a decent run.

Come August/Sept it will be really popular I'd imagine and the amount of enquiries about it after Saturday from people suggests it will.

pullhard

Back from holidays and have started my routine proper now.
m - easy 5 miles
tu - intervals today was 3 * (6 on and 2 off) ran at around 6.40 pace
wed - off or maybe a spin class
th - hill reps 8/10 reps
fri easy 5 miles
sat - either going for a pb in parkrun or a hilly race in north wales
sun - off

todays run was hard, got a stitch and was able to power pass it

laoislad

Quote from: laoislad on July 03, 2015, 11:26:15 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 03, 2015, 10:09:09 AM
Quote from: laoislad on July 02, 2015, 02:54:49 PM
I've started a half marathon programme(for the Dublin HM in September)from a book by a fella called Brad Hudson.
Ever hear of him BM? Plenty of variety in the training which I'm loving.
Found the Hal Higdon I did for the marathon very boring but this has plenty of hill training and Fartlek type runs so it's keeping me interested.
No I hadn't but had a look online about him and gave him the auld follow on twitter. Seems spot on, the training at goal pace looks to be a key aspect of his methods which I agree with fully. If you're looking to break 20 minutes for 5K you need to be aiming for mile repeats in or around 6.26, 400s in 1.36s and 800s in 3.12s. Need to train the body to be able to sustain the desired pace basically.
Ya, Hal Higdon is very good to start off with, safe way to progress but once you have a year or two experience you'd need more of a stimulus to progress.

I'll be happy to break 24mins first!!

Half Marathon plan is very good though and I can really feel myself getting a bit stronger with doing his sessions.
I suppose it's easier train when you actually start enjoying it. Higdon just has you logging mile after mile with no other type of training really to speak of.

The book is called Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon by Brad Hudson if anyone is interested in doing it.I got it on Amazon for about 8 quid.

Well not only did I beat it,I skipped over 23mins also!
Decided to give myself a time trial tonight to see if this training I'm doing is working or not. Came home in 22'56
Absolutely over the moon.
I know I'm gonna have to do it in a proper race for it to count but at least I know the training is working.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on July 07, 2015, 09:56:50 PM
I've started a half marathon programme(for the Dublin HM in September)from a book by a fella called Brad Hudson.
Found the Hal Higdon I did for the marathon very boring but this has plenty of hill training and Fartlek type runs so it's keeping me interested.
No I hadn't but had a look online about him and gave him the auld follow on twitter. Seems spot on, the training at goal pace looks to be a key aspect of his methods which I agree with fully. If you're looking to break 20 minutes for 5K you need to be aiming for mile repeats in or around 6.26, 400s in 1.36s and 800s in 3.12s. Need to train the body to be able to sustain the desired pace basically.
Ya, Hal Higdon is very good to start off with, safe way to progress but once you have a year or two experience you'd need more of a stimulus to progress.

Half Marathon plan is very good though and I can really feel myself getting a bit stronger with doing his sessions.
I suppose it's easier train when you actually start enjoying it. Higdon just has you logging mile after mile with no other type of training really to speak of.

The book is called Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon by Brad Hudson if anyone is interested in doing it.I got it on Amazon for about 8 quid.

Decided to give myself a time trial tonight to see if this training I'm doing is working or not. Came home in 22'56
I know I'm gonna have to do it in a proper race for it too count but at least I know the training is working.
Class, fair play. Some difference to a couple of years ago, just shows what can be done.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on July 07, 2015, 09:56:50 PM

I know I'm gonna have to do it in a proper race for it to count but at least I know the training is working.

Wow well done. I am getting that book! And what watch were you using?  :D
MWWSI 2017

Never beat the deeler

That's great running ll. Been frustrated with a cold and then sinusitis - haven't managed to get out for about three weeks.

Clearing up now so will go for a jog this afternoon and see how it goes
Hasta la victoria siempre

magpie seanie

Brilliant running LL, fair play to you.