Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mb80b60

Quote from: ballinaman on April 28, 2015, 11:46:04 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2015, 11:32:43 AM
I do the ballot every year so must get on that. Not that interested in the marathon unless a big one like London so I just do it and if I get in I get in.

Tokyo sounds about on a par with Belfast lol.
haha...bit further to go than Belfast though. Be an awful dose of a trip too, took me about 3-4 days to get over jetlag to Australia/New Zealand so wouldn't be ideal flying economy to Tokyo and running a marathon!

Ya, no harm in throwing name down next Monday. Say if you miss out 5 years you are guaranteed for 6th. You have to enter every year though, if you miss out you are bottom of the pile. Or you can just go with Sports Tours International ( who i went with to Boston and they are very good) and pay for package, entry...hotel and flights. Little bit more expensive but guaranteed a number, think they can get as many as they like for London he said.

Regarding good for age.....there are ways around it...if you happen to have a friends address in UK, and you can put that down and info ect will be sent there.

Are you sure about this Ballinaman? I know this used to be the case but I thought they had stopped this for London?

laoislad

On holidays at the moment.
Trying to get a run in most days while the kids are asleep in the afternoon.
It's great to be able run somewhere different, it's a novelty running with palm trees lining my route and the sun shining on a beautiful blue sea.
Some fantastic looking women running past me also helps!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on April 28, 2015, 02:39:02 PM
On holidays at the moment.
Trying to get a run in most days while the kids are asleep in the afternoon.
It's great to be able run somewhere different, it's a novelty running with palm trees lining my route and the sun shining on a beautiful blue sea.
Some fantastic looking women running past me also helps!

Past you would be right :o.. With the heat there you must be at walking pace! 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: heffo on April 28, 2015, 08:32:15 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 28, 2015, 08:27:13 AM
Quote from: heffo on April 28, 2015, 08:21:02 AM
Quote from: muppet on April 28, 2015, 12:50:13 AM
Quote from: heffo on April 27, 2015, 08:43:31 PM
Have committed to doing the Dublin marathon - need to get finger in gear now.

Good man.

What sort of distance/times are you doing at the moment?

Having had a disastrous few months, I am back on the road again. I did 37km in total last week, very slowly mind.

Doing 10kish once or twice a week - swimming and cycling too - am doing some triathalons too.

Will do the next 10 mile coming up and then a half marathon after that

What tri's have you entered?

Dungarvan, Dunmore East, Athlone & Dublin City along with some small duathalons

Was looking at the Kilkenny one, seems to be popular.... Not training for tri's this year, just too busy but will get it going for next year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: charlieTully on April 23, 2015, 10:28:36 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 23, 2015, 09:52:21 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on April 23, 2015, 09:32:45 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 23, 2015, 09:19:09 PM
Class  ;D

http://m.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/who-was-the-dad-leading-the-boston-marathon-at-mile-one

doing Belfast marathon very soon, any tips after your Dublin experience?  despite you being a laois royalist liverpool supporter you did inspire me to enter.
Well despite you being a Celtic supporting Nordie cnut......
Enjoy the day first and foremost. I take it its your first Marathon? Great feeling crossing the finish line, something I'll never forget.
I dunno if you have a time goal in mind but take it handy at the start and don't burn yourself out.
My time goal went out the window half way through and by then I just wanted to finish whatever the time.
Depending on weather maybe wear some old tracksuit bottoms and a top that you can throw away so you're not freezing at the start line.

first one indeed,last 5 months of my life dominated by it, cant wait now to do it but nervous as hell too, time goal is 4.30 but tbh would just be delighted to complete it. great idea about tracksuit bottoms etc, 9am start so will be cool enough waiting to start i would think.
only messing about the laois craic btw, my best weekend of the year is in stradbally with mad hoors from port arrlington.  :)
I wasn't messing about the Nordie Cnut thing.... ;)

Enjoy it anyway.When is it?
Have you anyone waiting at the finish line for you? Or even part of the way through the course? It gives you a real boost seeing someone you know.
Best feeling ever seeing my young lad just as I was finishing as I was doing it all for him really.

imtommygunn

What'd you do BM??

ballinaman

Sound sound lads.
10km in 34.41 tommy, 8am start to the race which was fairly unusual but was a decent course and nice morning.
Could be better though, went through 5k in 17.15 so 2nd half of race was 17.26, prefer to negative split it ideally.
Legs were sound but need to improve cadence speed and 5K time to have any thoughts about 34....which typically, was the first thought..haha. Never happy!

imtommygunn

Good man. Ha runners are never happy - sure if you were you wouldn't have the desire to get better!

It's not far from a negative split. 10k is a funny distance to pace - you need a few under your belt to get it right.

annapr

Quote from: charlieTully on April 24, 2015, 01:36:26 PM
Thanks very much all.
Best of luck tomorrow.

My own advice would be to enjoy it and go with a pacer. If you are finding it tough going then I would suggest easing off and making sure you finish.
I know plenty of fellas not finish their first Marathon and never do another.

In my own first Marathon I had a time goal in mind but everything went wrong on the day.
The day was unusually warm for the area and time of year and I probably thought I was better than I was and totally underestimated the enormity of running a Marathon.I limped home in well over 5 hours but I was delighted just to finish.

I actually got a few sneers from people about my time (from people who had never ran a Marathon themselves!!) but I didn't care as I knew I would go back and do more Marathons.
And I did do more.I have now done 7 marathons and my PB is now 3:34
I honestly believe if I hadn't finished my first I would never have done another.

For anyone doing Dublin this year and I see a few here have already signed up.
I ran Dublin for the first time last year hoping for sub 3:30 but on the day the unseasonably hot weather really affected me as well as most of the field actually.I've never seen so many people on stretchers on the side of the road during a Marathon! I came home in 3:48
Dublin though is a fantastic marathon and I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the goodwill from the onlookers.

Anyway I'm rambling, could actually talk about running all day though!
Enjoy tomorrow Charlie as you'll never again get to do your first Marathon and it truly is a wonderful race to compete in and to complete imo.

CD

Best of luck to anyone running tomorrow! Looks like it's going to be dry if a little blustery at times. I'll be at Cherryvale with the kids roaring you on"
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on May 03, 2015, 08:01:06 PM
Best of luck to anyone running tomorrow! Looks like it's going to be dry if a little blustery at times. I'll be at Cherryvale with the kids roaring you on"

Going to head to finishing line at 11 to see the main runners come in. Otherwise id be at my usual dpit at Gideons green

ballinaman

Good luck today CharlieTully and whoever else in running!

Ballot for London next year is open, no harm in throwing the name down. Doesn't stay open for long....

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/ballot-entry/

laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on May 04, 2015, 09:16:46 AM

Ballot for London next year is open, no harm in throwing the name down. Doesn't stay open for long....

Did it for the craic!
Why would they want to know your occupation though!?

laoislad

Good luck Charlie.. May the Fourth be with you  ;)

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on May 04, 2015, 09:27:13 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 04, 2015, 09:16:46 AM

Did it for the craic!
Why would they want to know your occupation though!?
illuminati collecting data I'd say....classic brits, up to no good as usual.