Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2013, 12:02:36 PM
Started doing a bit of running last week. Went out the first night not knowing what to expect - was honestly just trying to run for 5 minutes without stopping but managed to do 20. Am doing a shortish route (just over 2 miles) near my house and improving my time in leaps and bounds since the first night (down to below 18 mins now). Have done it 4 times now and again tonight. My short term target is a 5k on Sunday week which I should manage ok. My question is - should I up the distance or just continue to focus on improving my time over my current route? My brother who is an experienced runner reckons I should do the latter and save the challenge of the extra distance for race day (my first). What do ye think?

All depends on what your target is, doing the 5k Park runs? Or the 10 races that are about? Ideally 10k should be a realistic target and the 5k should be handy enough once you get up to speed to register good times. After about two years I'd say I'd be ready for a half Marathon without a lot of long distance stuff done.

From the little experience that I have I would offer this, stretch properly and warm up properly, left leg was having hamstring problems for a while, can manage 5k at 7.5 mph but can do a lot better but don't want to sprint to quickly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

The biggest difficulty with upping distances is that body and mind aren't used to it.

There'll be a bit of adrenaline and stubbornness on a raceday that you won't normally get which helps counter the longer distance. But if you're pitching for 27-28 mins of running, I'd suggest you do one run of longer than 20 mins in advance. The last 5 will then come as less of a shock.

magpie seanie

Thanks for the help. Some food for thought. Might go a wee bit farther tonight.

I just started doing this with the aim of doing a charity run at the end of August that work are promoting participation in. It's a 5k/10k and initially I was aiming to do the 5k but now I think possibly the 10k is an attainable goal.

imtommygunn

Go longer to get the fitness up first so maybe drop the speed.

First step is getting the fitness for it. In time the speed will come too.

If you can run 20 minutes 5k will be no problem plus as others said adrenaline / stubbornness will get you round it.

magpie seanie

Went a bit farther tonight but it wasn't a great run cos judging by the time (28 mins) I started out way too slow. Felt strong at the end and blasted out the last km but it was a crappy time. Still, I'll not be as tentative the next night - should be able to knock a bit of shape into that time easily.

Thanks for the encouragement, this is all stepping into the unknown for me.

the Deel Rover

got a nice wee watch in lidl this morning with a heart monitor and stop watch all for 14 yo yos well pleased
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

laoislad

Seanie you must be fairly fit to start with if you were able do 20mins first night out. I am doing couch to 5k program(again  ::) ) at the moment and going fairly well. Starting week 5 tomorrow and at the end of week have to do a 20min run which i'm dreading.
I have a question aswell for all you experienced athletes.
I need a new pair of runners. I went into Elverys on the way home and tried on a few. The most comfortable  were a pair of Adidas trail runners, would it be ok to use these on the road? I do run on grass aswell around football pitches but I don't really want to have to buy two pairs.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

Laoislad - I was a bit shocked I was able to do that but I managed it (pretty slow pace mind you). I would say that I have been a lot more unfit in the past than I was starting off. with 2 young kids I simply don't have the time or opportunity to abuse myself (drinking, fast food, lying on the couch) in any way! Going great guns now and really enjoying it. Crushed Wednesday's time this evening (26 mins) so well chuffed.

The advice I got on runners was to go for either Asics or New Balance. I got a pair of Asics Gel Virage 6 reduced from €90 to €65 and I love them. They're light years ahead of any other runners I've worn. They're a huge part of why this is going well for me. If I got aches and pains in the joints I'd quit very quickly but so far so good.

One other key thing for me is the iPod. A good playlist of tunes shortens the road for you, keeps the brain from wandering down the negative "I'm fcuked" path and gives you a lift - I'd be lost without it personally.

Milltown Row2

Being on a Gaa forum you would imagine most on here have all played through to their senior/junior teams and had a degree of core fitness, but when you stop playing and start having a family the pounds seem to pile on and the fitness goes to the wall.

Was so glad that I managed to continue to do something over the years as it seems really difficult to get fit again
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Laoislad- when you are in Elverys, you should get the Gait analysis done and they'd put you right on what pair of runners to get. They very good in Arnotts, I seen them talk an Asia guy out of buying a pair of asics kayanos (€170) as he was a fun runner, they have a good range of stuff.

The trail runners generally are flatter and have a harder sole for running on bumpy, uneven surfaces. They would be cushioned as well on sides for comfort. Running on the roads or flat surfaces may not be ideal over time. You should be able to get a good pair of asics at a good price and they'll be equally as comfortable.

Fair play to the lads. I'm still a novice myself but it still surprises me how good I feel after a good run, great for body and mind.

JimStynes

Anyone ran the Paris marathon before?

laoislad

Ran my first ever 5k tonight!  ;D
Wasn't supposed to it it just sort of happened. I bought new runners today and went out to give them a test drive.
I felt good so kept running and next thing don't you know the runkeeper app tells me I had run 5k.
I did it in 29 mins 50 secs. Not the fastest time ever I know but for a fella who could hardly run for 30 seconds 5 weeks ago I'll take it for my first ever 5k.

I don't know what to do now though.I am doing the couch to 5k app and only just finished week 5 which means I have another 4 weeks left of it. I've already done 5k though so is there any point in finishing the program?
Would my time be best served lowering my 5k time and maybe upping the distance even more? I felt I had another km or 2 left in me tonight but I stopped at the 5k mark anyways.

btw the runners I got are a brand called ProTouch. Never heard of them before but by jaysis are they comfy.Got them in Elverys for €60
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Syferus

Bought a pair of Reeboks there last week and even though they're my usual size they're like clown shoes. Could barely run a minute without them feeling like they were slipping off. Got to put more thought into the replacement pair I buy.

How snug is too snug? I have a battered old pair of Adidas runners that probably have the cushioning wore away to nothing but damn if they don't fit like a charm.

Rois

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on August 03, 2013, 10:27:14 PM
Ran my first ever 5k tonight!  ;D
Wasn't supposed to it it just sort of happened. I bought new runners today and went out to give them a test drive.
I felt good so kept running and next thing don't you know the runkeeper app tells me I had run 5k.
I did it in 29 mins 50 secs. Not the fastest time ever I know but for a fella who could hardly run for 30 seconds 5 weeks ago I'll take it for my first ever 5k.

I don't know what to do now though.I am doing the couch to 5k app and only just finished week 5 which means I have another 4 weeks left of it. I've already done 5k though so is there any point in finishing the program?
Would my time be best served lowering my 5k time and maybe upping the distance even more? I felt I had another km or 2 left in me tonight but I stopped at the 5k mark anyways.

btw the runners I got are a brand called ProTouch. Never heard of them before but by jaysis are they comfy.Got them in Elverys for €60

29 is good going seeing ya haven't done much in a while, now you just work on it, you could (time permitted) do 2/3 times a week and you will defo knock minutes off that.