Canning - Captain, Cloonan recalled

Started by GalteeMountainBoy, May 19, 2008, 02:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalteeMountainBoy

Pretty sensational stuff from Ger Vader today.

Ollie Canning after a 20 month absence is handed the captaincy. Reports as well that Eugene Cloonan has rejoined the Galway panel.

Serious squad addition you'd have to say, even if he isn't what he was, he's a 15 minute man that most counties would kill to have the option of bringing on.

AZOffaly

Skeletor is really shaking them up, up there, alright. Not surprised to see Ollie Canning getting captaincy to be honest. He's Portumna, and very experienced. Their full back line, is leaky so I guessed he would be brought in to try and shore that up, and given his standing, it wasn't a huge leap of imagination to suspect he'd get the captaincy.

A bit more surprised about Cloonan. I thought his best days were behind him but, as you say, he could do a job for you in a tight game if the likes of Tannion or Farragher are struggling.

GaillimhIarthair

Spot on AZ, thats exactly why Eugene is back.  He has about 20mins tops in him for IC hurling but he has the ability to be lethal and could very well unsettle a defence when the "game is in the meltin pot" as Cyril would say. Hopefully his dodgy back will hold up.  Delighted to see Ollie get the captaincy. 

Bord na Mona man

I wouldn't be surprised if Eugene got the chop though!  ;D

Galforever

I think Ollie Canning has been a class player for Galway but to hand him the captaincy seems a little bit daft. How do we know hes still up to it at this level when hes been out for so long? He wasnt too hot  in the last couple of years playing for Galway either. Would have made more sense to make somebody whos guaranteed a place the captain.

slow corner back

John leeis clearly the leader on the current galway team, however do galway have a rule wherby the team captain is from the county champions? If they do then Ollie is the obvious choice, if they dont then Ger is playingb with fire?

INDIANA

oliie canning is a shoe in selection
a great player and well respected
a no brainer reallly.
john lee doesn't need that responsibility at 21

Galforever

Quoteoliie canning is a shoe in selection

I hope that is what happens. Howver, Canning hasnt played at this level for a few years now and is pushing on. There is no way anybody can be sure he is still up to it.

GalwayBayBoy

Ollie getting captaincy isn't that much of a surprise I suppose despite his retirement and comeback. Loughnane must reckon he's looking in good shape.

Cloonan coming back well I have mixed views on it. I doubt he's up to the pace of intercounty anymore but he could be useful to chuck on for 20 minutes of a game. Can't see him starting games anyway.