AI Club hurling

Started by johnneycool, November 10, 2014, 09:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homeofhurling10

What has the talent of the wider Tipp panels got to do with your statement above accusing Sars best players of being bottlers and underachievers "individually", which of the above three is a bottler and could have achieved more individually ? The former hurler of the year who will finish his career in the top three scorers from play in history or the two backs in their mid twenties generally recognised as being among the best defenders in the game ?

Not having a go at you Gallsman but at the wider use of the word "bottler" in relation to top intercounty hurlers, it drives me mad, i would say the real "bottlers" are the 99% of us who dont have the dedication and drive to hurl intercounty at the top level.

theskull1

Dunloy beat a Mount Sion team who had Tony Brown, Ken McGrath , Eoin McGath and Eoin Kelly in the AI club semis. We won because the 4 all stars of that year hadn't the stomach for it  ;D

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

CitySlicker11

I would rank that semi final victory for Dunloy up there in terms of upsets, considering the individuals that Mount Sion had. Thurles Sars are another example however that talented individuals can only get you so far in club hurling. Dunloy also had a great semi final win against Portumna in Clones one year. Which was your favourite game Skull?

Canalman

Have always said that the most important players in an AI club winning team are usually the  "11th to 17th best players " on the panel.

5/6 superstars on an extremely average rest of team won't get you anywhere imo.

For me Kilcormac Killoughey are a great example of a well balanced team and I will be v interested to see how they do against Ballyhale.

theskull1

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on December 04, 2014, 12:48:51 PM
I would rank that semi final victory for Dunloy up there in terms of upsets, considering the individuals that Mount Sion had. Thurles Sars are another example however that talented individuals can only get you so far in club hurling. Dunloy also had a great semi final win against Portumna in Clones one year. Which was your favourite game Skull?

I reckon the semi final vs Glenmore in Croke Park was our finest display. Didn't put a foot wrong and ran out 11 point winners that day. Willie O'Connor bottled it ...... or was it Eddie? Twas probably both of them ate the onion  ;D

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on December 04, 2014, 04:39:33 PM

I reckon the semi final vs Glenmore in Croke Park was our finest display. Didn't put a foot wrong and ran out 11 point winners that day. Willie O'Connor bottled it ...... or was it Eddie? Twas probably both of them ate the onion  ;D

Was it not Ray Heffernan?

In saying that Big Dominic gave Christy an awful going over, remember the Kilkenny lads weren't overly impressed about it.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Canalman on December 04, 2014, 01:15:41 PM
Have always said that the most important players in an AI club winning team are usually the  "11th to 17th best players " on the panel.

5/6 superstars on an extremely average rest of team won't get you anywhere imo.

For me Kilcormac Killoughey are a great example of a well balanced team and I will be v interested to see how they do against Ballyhale.

that is the same on most teams.
better to have more of the 'better than average club players' than star players.
nothing worse than a club team where the top player(s) have to 'do everything' - frees, sidelines, scoring from play
its like watching an U12 or U14 team at times.

theskull1

Quote from: johnneycool on December 04, 2014, 04:45:20 PM
Was it not Ray Heffernan?

In saying that Big Dominic gave Christy an awful going over, remember the Kilkenny lads weren't overly impressed about it.

Big Dom was gone by then..that was 1991 your thinking of. Christie was a hard man to soften. If ever a man could stick a bit of leatherin it was him. I think by the end up big Dom got soften'd

johnneycool

Christy allegedly got his helmet cracked in the ensuing battle so I'm not so sure how much of a softening Dominic got!!
;)

the waffler

Was at both games wouldnt be so sure bout upset that Dunloy team was as good as any game with mount sion was a cracker

pullhard

It sickens the hole out of me that there is still hurling being played this time of year. Heavy pitches, soggy balls, low sun, recipe for injuries. Club hurlers who have worked there balls off since January deserve much better than this. I don't buy into this county nonsense excuse either.

orangeman

Quote from: pullhard on December 07, 2014, 11:57:52 AM
It sickens the hole out of me that there is still hurling being played this time of year. Heavy pitches, soggy balls, low sun, recipe for injuries. Club hurlers who have worked there balls off since January deserve much better than this. I don't buy into this county nonsense excuse either.

Conditions for this game today are ridiculous.

Game on now.

orangeman

Kilcormac are tough lads. The tackling is full on. Ballyhale getting all they want here even if they have the better hurlers and the better team.

orangeman

Some bravery out there by both teams.

The Offaly lads simply won't go away. Ballyhale management would need to tell their lads that it's not a day for the fancy stuff and elaborate cross field passes.

Under foot conditions are terrible with men slipping and sliding all over the shop.

Extra time now.

gallsman

Brutally tough game out there by the looks of things. Boots must feel like they're filled with lead on that turf.