Eddie Osullivan quits

Started by rosnarun, March 19, 2008, 10:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Here's hoping they get some more drubbings in Croke Park so they start pining away for Lansdowne Road and are glad to leave CP in a year or two's time. Still somewhat fearful of the "Cuckoo's Nest" scenario though. By and large the rugby types I know have a fierce contempt for the GAA, "bogball", "stick fighting", "Grab All Association", etc etc .....yawn.

Hardy

Micko, surely. Can't have a managerial position up for grabs without mentioning him anyway. Now that that's done, carry on.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Canalman on March 20, 2008, 09:27:01 AM
Here's hoping they get some more drubbings in Croke Park so they start pining away for Lansdowne Road and are glad to leave CP in a year or two's time. Still somewhat fearful of the "Cuckoo's Nest" scenario though. By and large the rugby types I know have a fierce contempt for the GAA, "bogball", "stick fighting", "Grab All Association", etc etc .....yawn.

Not down here. Of course you'll have a few rugby snobs, like we have GAA snobs, but the vast majority of Munster fans I know would follow Munster until they get knocked out of the Heinekein Cup, and then straight into Kerry, Cork, Limerick, Clare, Waterford, ,Tipperary or whereever.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Barney on March 20, 2008, 08:22:43 AM
As of 13/2. Bit of work to be done yet!

Not much work getting done in that pic...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hoof Hearted

Is that big green thing one of our second rows. could be as it hasnt moved much

this will only be a good decision if they appoint the successor well, a la wales
this time next year we could be looking eddie back !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

mackers

Dinny, are we not too late for Jake White, is he not being touched up by the English? Presumably they would be able to pay bigger bucks than the IRFU could come up with.......where's Denis O'Brien's telephone number.............
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Gnevin

Was he given money to walk?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hound

Quote from: Gnevin on March 20, 2008, 11:08:20 AM
Was he given money to walk?
As mentioned earlier in the thread - Yes.

He had three years left in his contract, so only right that the IRFU had to pay some penance for their error.

Uladh

White is nailed on for the English job. What about Eddie Jones or Clive Woodward?

As much as i felt it was time for EOS to move on i still think he did a good job. he developed the team well in his first 4 years in charge but it seems he lost the dressingroom. frequently a symptom of a coach who stays too long.

screenexile

Glad to see O'Sullivan leave and fair play to him for bowing out with a bit of dignity intact anyway!

As for the new manager I would be very much in Dinny's corner about White... a man with a proven track record and no hang ups with regard to any particular province as I think the Munster dominance in the Heineken cup has maybe meant that selection policy for the future has been neglected!

I was at a talk with Willie Anderson there recently and he mooted that Michael Bradley was the man he wanted to be the next Irish Manager. I can't see it happening this early but he may be one for the future and could be brought into the setup with a view to taking the main job himself in a few years.

An Gaeilgoir

God i dont know about Bradley, i have been to quite a few Con. games this year and as a unit they weren't that organised. I do appreciate he has meager resources and that the IRFU dont really want a con. team, that is a debate for another day. But bottom of the Magners league and the manager of a terrible underage Irish team hardly inspires confidence.

tyroneboi

I see on the BBC website that Martin Johnson is being lined up as team manager to work alongside Brian Ashton. I would assume then that Jake White isnt going to be getting the England job until probably after the Six Nations 2009. Think the IRFU should at least ask Jake White and sound him out about the job. Wouldnt be a big fan of Declan Kidney getting the job. Think he would be too familiar with the players and he would almost certainly have his favourites. I know Willie Anderson is a big fan of Michael Bradley and was talking him up on UTV last week. Wouldnt be a bad idea i suppose to take him in with whoever gets the job. Clive Woodward would be a good man as well but i think he has something to do with the Olympics in 2012. Whatever happens I think the IRFU have to make a high profile appointment to get the supporters back onside again after RWC 2007 and the 6Nations this year.

Main Street

I thought the simple minded speculation was that Ashton saved his job for some time with beating Ireland emphatically.
Fair play to Eddie for not making any obvious fuss bar the contract details for his departure.
He had his mind made up or made up for him before the England game.
He deserved to have won the grand slam last season. That was cruel.

Does nobody think that it´s going to be a hard slog to get back up to challenging for the championship again?

stephenite

Eddie Jones would be the best possible option, but I don't think he'd take it. Saw him interviewed on Oz Fox Sports rugby programme, and in a brief chat the panel had about the 6 Nations prior to the start of this years tournament he was fairly adamant that this Irish team were finished

Tankie

There are alot of lads being a bit harsh on Eddie, yes the last year has turned into a shocker and was glad he went in the end but he was still a great coach and did a great deal for Irish Rugby and gave people who are interested in Rugby some of the best memories.

Also atleast he had the dignity to leave and not drag it out. Best Of Luck Eddie
Grand Slam Saturday!