2018 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 20, 2018, 11:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeythelips

Did Cheddar not come up with a long term plan for hurling that was basically ignored? Did Niall Rigney not do similar?  2 passionate Laois hurling men, but our county board just move on to the next journey man they can find it would seem.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Joeythelips on June 04, 2018, 01:47:18 PM
Did Cheddar not come up with a long term plan for hurling that was basically ignored? Did Niall Rigney not do similar?  2 passionate Laois hurling men, but our county board just move on to the next journey man they can find it would seem.

Look at the list of journey men managers that we have had in the last 20 years in both hurling and football.
What do they all have in common? They don't bother the county board. They accept second rate conditions for the players under their watch, thus allowing the county board get away with murder.

Then you have those who don't and wouldn't accept this- Cheddar, Big Sean, Sean Dempsey, Sugrue etc.

First thing- The bigger hurling clubs should get together, canvas the rest of the hurling clubs and jointly demand an emergency meeting of the CB Executive and the hurling clubs this week.
Explain this managers performance, his lack of insight into why Laois are not performing and whether or not he should be left in charge for the remaining games.

The CB in Laois get an easy ride in comparison to other counties, particularly from the hurling clubs. We have all gone too nice, afraid to upset or offend anyone. 
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

mountrath1

Had he actually any credentials to manage an inter county team.. junior panelist with tipp in 80s..

Don Draper

Quote from: mountrath1 on June 04, 2018, 07:59:29 PM
Had he actually any credentials to manage an inter county team.. junior panelist with tipp in 80s..
By that criteria you wouldn't have given Sean Boylan a job

Keyser Söze

Random part of the "next plan".

Try to have a nominated and interested person from each club as part of an intercounty backroom team (u17/u21/senior).  They commit to bringing bits and pieces back to their own clubs and upskilling themselves and others.
Financially renumerated for doing so.

At least when their stint with intercounty teams finishes they bring something back to their own clubs-
Laois hurling benefits from the learning experience that is being part of an intercounty backroom team and working with some of the best coaches/S & C/ analysts in the country- not a random club 40km down the M7.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Giovanni

That looks far too much like a good idea to be adopted by the county board.

Leixlad

A sad sad day for Laois hurling Saturday. An absolute disaster - a 10 point beating by Carlow. Thats down there with the 10 goals Cork scored. In fact id say we are now in a worse position than after that defeat - back then there was talk of dropping to Christy Ring, now there is same talk except this time dropping to Christy Ring is going to tier 3 not tier 2! How have we become so bad? Senior manager clearly has to take some of the blame but not all. I do believe the players are trying hard. Hurling has been in decline again since Cheddar left and the county board have done zilch. They are an absolute disgrace lets call a spade a spade. They are responsible for this - they had their chance with Cheddars plan. They didn't have the ambition to persue it. They wouldn't fund it because that would require work to raise money. A shower of dinosaurs ruining hurling in this county. Where do we go from here? We have no saviour like Cheddar to come in this time. A plan, a vision, a strategy over 5-10 years is whats needed now. Can we honestly see that happening through the Laois county board? No chance. We are in big big trouble now unless Croke Park step in to help us. Watching the teams hurling in the Munster championship would make you jealous - an unbelievable sport that is sadly dying in Laois.

Goku

I think your not far of Leixlad, I would mark the team that conceded 10 goals to Cork as a better team than our current set-up, A sad time for Laois hurling people. I hope the county board get off there asses and do something about it this time!

SCFC

Quote from: Leixlad on June 05, 2018, 08:56:31 AM
A sad sad day for Laois hurling Saturday. An absolute disaster - a 10 point beating by Carlow. Thats down there with the 10 goals Cork scored. In fact id say we are now in a worse position than after that defeat - back then there was talk of dropping to Christy Ring, now there is same talk except this time dropping to Christy Ring is going to tier 3 not tier 2! How have we become so bad? Senior manager clearly has to take some of the blame but not all. I do believe the players are trying hard. Hurling has been in decline again since Cheddar left and the county board have done zilch. They are an absolute disgrace lets call a spade a spade. They are responsible for this - they had their chance with Cheddars plan. They didn't have the ambition to persue it. They wouldn't fund it because that would require work to raise money. A shower of dinosaurs ruining hurling in this county. Where do we go from here? We have no saviour like Cheddar to come in this time. A plan, a vision, a strategy over 5-10 years is whats needed now. Can we honestly see that happening through the Laois county board? No chance. We are in big big trouble now unless Croke Park step in to help us. Watching the teams hurling in the Munster championship would make you jealous - an unbelievable sport that is sadly dying in Laois.
Great post.

burdizzo

Got to remember, Laois beat Carlow last year in the championship - and with King having been sent off early on, too. But, on Sunday, Carlow were way, way better. The Laois performances in this year's championship have far back on last year, and some of the 'tactics' baffling, but we do have the raw materials to compete in the McDonagh Cup. However, lack of size, as I said before, is a serious problem that was very noticeable on Sunday. The way the game is gone, it seems there's little enough point developing a load of skilful little lads.

redsetanta

But you have to play to your strengths. I agree size was very noticeable on Saturday so no point raining in high balls. Play a shorter, possession based game and give balls into the corners for forwards to run on to. Utilise what we have to best of our ability which hasn't been happening. I cannot understand how we can go to Antrim and get the victory to keep us in the competition and then fail miserably like we did on Saturday. Antrim beat Carlow and went very close to beating Westmeath. A win last Saturday coupled with Antrim beating Kerry next weekend would have seen us through provided we beat Meath. Would anyone put their house on us beathing Meath next week? I wouldn't!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Maybe start by selling those f'ing GPS trackers and buying a few extra sliotars to work on our hurling.

Carlow's first touch was closer to that of a Wexford or Dublin. They moved the ball without having to do a long dance, drop the ball twice, fumble and eventually lose the ball. They managed to pass the ball to a Carlow man in space rather than a Laois man. Their hurling, never mind their physique and tactics, was a million miles ahead of us. I wasn't at the Kerry match but can only imagine it was the same. I think it is a nonsense that we are skillful but small. Some of the smaller Carlow lads didn't let it affect their performance.

Do you really need a top class manager to be able to strike a ball on the run 10 yards to another player?

Every year we hear that this year's minor or U21 team isn't that great but the good ones are coming. On what evidence do we have the players?

Dave like the tv channel

We spent the last 10 years railing against tier2 hurling and now we hang over the cliff of tier3. We have to draw with or beat Meath now to be sure of even a playoff. A Div1B league team playing tier3 championship hurling would be ludicrous and unprecedented.

There are two Div2A teams and two Div2B teams in the CR semis. Statistically, the chances of a 2B team beating a 1B team is tiny (about 1%), but the 2A win % rises to about 24%. Given momentum etc, you wouldn't guarantee a Laois win.

Beating Meath is the priority.

burdizzo

I'd say they won't be 1B this time next year.

Mossy Bruce

I'm curious--has anyone heard from any of the hurlers, themselves, as to what they think went wrong this year?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!