Android Boxes

Started by snoopdog, July 30, 2015, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

QuoteI've given up using builds and just take add-ons from superrepo.

Me too.  Whilst the builds look good they typically go tits up after a while.

trueblue1234

What would you recommend for live sport then? I'm struggling with my complete lack of tech experience!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

gallsman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 28, 2016, 08:50:12 PM
What would you recommend for live sport then? I'm struggling with my complete lack of tech experience!!

Sportsmania is handy, think it's repo.sportsmania.eu but a quick Google will confirm. You'll need a subscription.

laoislad

Quote from: gallsman on February 28, 2016, 09:12:50 PM

Sportsmania is handy, think it's repo.sportsmania.eu but a quick Google will confirm. You'll need a subscription.
Sky Sports Sportsmania stream for Liverpool game was rubbish for me today. Found another stream that was Bein Sports and it was top notch.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Up The Middle

Put Exodus on the fire stick last night. Great job. Unlike Genesis the 1st stream I clicked on worked perfectly.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

gallsman

Quote from: laoislad on February 28, 2016, 09:19:09 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 28, 2016, 09:12:50 PM

Sky Sports Sportsmania stream for Liverpool game was rubbish for me today. Found another stream that was Bein Sports and it was top notch.

CTH Stadium appears to be quite good for Premiership games too.

Geoff Tipps

I've been using Exodus recently and it's an excellent addon.
Unfortunately the favourites and library feature which Genesis had has been removed.
I've set up a Trakt account and have just started using this now in Exodus.
The benefit for me is that if I do a Kodi rebuild the favourites are stored in Trakt so I won't lose them.
Has anyone else been using Trakt?

WeeDonns

I need to start using Trakt, sounds like the solution for me.

I just stick to the Dad Life builds atm, does the job for me - watching boxsets & the odd sporting event. Although by looking at reviews there are some better builds out there now.

I have trouble using the iVue TV epg, none of the default streams ever work. I can go via the addons and get the live stream I want, but it'd be so much better if it always worked via the EPG

Bud Wiser

I do only be here an odd time now and occasionally I see the posts about Android Boxes.  I have imported a fair few of these, some good, some bad.  My main business was CCTV and my main use for them was for people to fit them to their bedroom telly and using an app they could watch their CCTV or the cow calving. For what it's worth, here are a few of the lessons I have learned over the years:

Some of these boxes are copies of "other" boxes that come in plastic housings with little or no heat sinks on the circuit and are a potential fire risk, rule 1 get one that is CE Approved, RoHS compliant and ultimately - safe.

In my opinion, again for what it is worth, the main pitfalls are that the developers of the addons fall out with each other from time to time and what is a good add-on today is bad tomorrow. To avoid this, buy a box from a company that provide access to their own server for continuous updates.

Boxes on AliBaba claiming to be X manufacturer are plastic duds if you can buy them for less than the Trade supply cost from the manufacturer - or - they are being sold cheaply because the importer has had the supplier lower the cost of the shipping invoice to avoid Vat and Duty and when he is in jail along with someone for changing the rate of duty on onions to garlic you will be left with a useless product.

Low bandwidth. CCTV, Android boxes etc have been for a large part using MPEG4 decoding but this was then changed to H265 just around now.  H265 uses 60% less disc space than H264 and for obvious reasons is much faster.  Zoomtak are completely out of K5 boxes at the moment because they are clearing out all their H264 stock and will now release 4K boxes with H265 encoding - their T8 PLUS product already has it.

As the version of Kodi changes, next one being V16, they change their software and you simply clear your cache and data, log on to their server using the tool on the box and upgrade to the latest version with all the compatible add-on's and you are away in a hack.

To buy from Zoomtak you need to bring in at least 5 boxes per order, you can ask for a small amount of sample product but 5 people together paying DHL for 1 box each is going to cost you €200 for delivery and €250 for boxes and €10 each for customs clearance charge whereas you could get 5 boxes for €250-260 all inclusive if you group together.

Zoomtak also have Teamviewer installed so they will log in and help you if required.  I have no interest in Zoomtak, I am merely saying that from my experience of importing over 200 boxes that I found them to be the best, the main reason being that if you want a complete upgrade you simply log onto their server, click on update and go to the pub.  When you come back you can turn on most films in full 1080P streaming in H265 - even if you are too pissed to see them.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

laoislad

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on March 01, 2016, 10:52:55 AM
Unfortunately the favourites and library feature which Genesis had has been removed.
The benefit for me is that if I do a Kodi rebuild the favourites are stored in Trakt so I won't lose them.
How does this Trakt work?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: laoislad on March 01, 2016, 01:19:20 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on March 01, 2016, 10:52:55 AM
How does this Trakt work?

Have a look at this video, it'll explain how it works and how to set it up etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSzVGOAQiMU

banker

I have been using android boxes for quite a while now and generally use it to watch sports (GAA, Soccer, Golf), TV shows and movies.

Below are the recommended addons i would use which are great quality

Sports:

Operation Robocop. This will allow you to have match selection on all premier league games live. These will all be played in HD and are great quality. Last night was the first night it did not work for me. Add on tutorial below:

https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-operation-robocop-video-add-on-kodi/

NJM Soccer - Usually watch GAA through this. Great for Setanta Sports and Premier Sports. Watched the Frampton V Quigg fight on this over the weekend in full HD. Should have McGregor on this weekend. Add on tutorial below:

https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-njm-soccer-kodi-xbmc/

Phoenix - Valhalla - Live Tv - Live Games - Used this last night when operation robocop was not working. This will also provide you with Premier League match selection in HD. Phoenix also very good for Movies

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-phoenix-for-xbmc/

Castaway - Not one i have used too much but a lot of people have said this is very good for sports channels

https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-castaway-kodi/

Movies

One winner here which should have everything you need which is Exodus.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-exodus-for-kodi/

Would also highly recommend using the search option in Phoenix for any TV shows or movies.

To keep up to date with all the latest addons you can use the below link. This will have everything you need!

https://seo-michael.co.uk/

johnneycool

I'm still hanging onto my blackbox skin, kinda like it, but is there any way of adding in these other addons?

banker

Quote from: johnneycool on March 02, 2016, 04:00:14 PM
I'm still hanging onto my blackbox skin, kinda like it, but is there any way of adding in these other addons?

Not using the blackbox skin unfortunately. The skins make Kodi run a bit slower also. Better off clearing your box and just using the addons that work as this frees up more space allowing kodi to work better

johnneycool

Quote from: banker on March 02, 2016, 04:10:06 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 02, 2016, 04:00:14 PM

Not using the blackbox skin unfortunately. The skins make Kodi run a bit slower also. Better off clearing your box and just using the addons that work as this frees up more space allowing kodi to work better

Aye, but its not as user friendly for the less tech savvy in the house!!