Android Boxes

Started by snoopdog, July 30, 2015, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

I see a future business partnership Iceman. 50/50 split.
Keep 'er lit

The Iceman

My allegiances are with Armagh Android TV ;)
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Boycey on December 01, 2015, 04:40:17 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on December 01, 2015, 03:39:47 PM
I think anyone can charge to do something like that. Do you call a plumber something because he unblocks your toilet? Not every one knows what they are doing to install Kodi on a firestick. If they don't they pay - like everyone else surely?

Definitely true up to a point but I think a lot of people are underselling themselves and buying fully loaded boxes/firesticks etc when they don't need to. Most people in this day and age are computer literate to some degree and with a wee bit of patience and trial and error almost anyone could follow the steps in those guides..

I will however make an exception for my woman who thinks all these things are done by black magic or something :-). I've given up trying to explain the difference between the proper Skybox/Dodgy Skybox/Firestick currently attached to our TV. If I hear "How to I watch......" one more time

You must be married to my wife's sister :-) Has she figured out yet that electronics and liquids aren't too compatible?

gallsman

Can I go wrong with the Fire TV for 65 quid? 4K support, native support for mainstream apps in HD and (apparently) good KODI support, although has to be sideloaded. Thoughts?

take_yer_points

Quote from: Boycey on November 27, 2015, 04:31:47 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on November 27, 2015, 03:39:32 PM
I put Kodi on a firestick during the week and then installed the Beast. I was trying to watch a match during the week using the Live Sports > BT Sport Europe link on the landing screen but it would only work for a few minutes and then would cut off. I have a 6 Meg download speed, I assumed that would be enough to stream. I've no bother watching films, tv shows or freeview channels on it. Is the server just too busy?

I couldn't get rte going on the iVue guide links either. I was getting an error message and it was saying to check the logs. Any ideas?

There is limited cache available on the Firestick and it fills up very quickly. I empty the cache everytime I launch Kodi.... Its more of a problem watching live stuff than streaming tv series and the like

Where are you based? if not in Ireland RTE probably won't work without a VPN

Thanks Boycey (and the G's Man). I did a bit of reading about the cache and found a way to increase the cache size. I made that change (to 150Mb)  after finding a YouTube video explaining how to do it (link below) and its flying now. Great job.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wen5LwuNLng

RE: RTE, Im in the north so I'm assuming I shouldn't have any problems. The message I'm getting is about a UK TV add-on not working. I've tried reinstalling it but no joy. I'll try and find the add-on from another source if I can - haven't really had a good look yet.

Boycey

I'd never needed to use RTE on mine but I checked it on iVue there and it don't work for me either (South). I'll have a better look for u tomoro but I'd suspect it's just the add on iVue is using ain't reliable. From memory vdubt25 used to have RTE in his live tv channels u could try his add-on..

trueblue1234

Completely new to this whole android thing. So what would I need to purchase in order to stream football/ movies etc? What would be the best box? Is this different to the likes of the fire stick or is that the same? Apologies as I know this is pretty basic.

(Edit - I see a few recommendations earlier in the thread!!)

Is this good value?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-Firestick-Fully-Loaded-Kodi-15-Sports-Movies-TV-XXX-/231775316964?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

The Gs Man

I have a firestick and a box.  I prefer the firestick.

Firesticks were £25 there last week.  Great value.

Stick Kodi on it yourself if you have a laptop and half an hour and know your way round a computer.

Look on Page 8 there for a guide on how to do it.

It'll save you £30 or 40 quid.
Keep 'er lit

laoislad

Quote from: Up The Middle on December 01, 2015, 01:54:48 PM
Ive ordered one of the Amazon fire sticks. Is it easy to set up (im ok with computers and technology but not great). How do I get Saturday Premiership games on it for free?
I ordered one on the 27th of November from Amazon and it still hasn't arrived.
Has yours?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

Quote from: laoislad on December 10, 2015, 12:41:13 PM
Ive ordered one of the Amazon fire sticks. Is it easy to set up (im ok with computers and technology but not great). How do I get Saturday Premiership games on it for free?
Has yours?

Was that Black Friday? not specifically a firestick but I saw on another forum someone saying that they had received a refund for some item as Amazon had over committed on the day and hadn't stock to fulfil the orders. The person was willing to wait to get the item at the reduced price when it was back in stock but Amazon weren't playing ball.

gallsman

Has yours?

I ordered a stick and a box last week and they were both delivered to the house in Belafast on Tuesday.

Up The Middle

I tried to download kodi to my laptop but it just keeps coming up as a blank zip file and saying application cannot be found. Any ideas?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Up The Middle

Has yours?

Mine arrived today but can't get it set up with the links from the previous page.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

trueblue1234

Ok got the firestick in the post today and it's pre loaded with Kodi and Genesis. I can stream ok now but is there anyway to download it rather than watch via a stream?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

laoislad

Quote from: Up The Middle on December 14, 2015, 11:03:32 PM
Has yours?

Mine arrived today but can't get it set up with the links from the previous page.
Mine arrived last Friday.
Couldn't get Kodi installed via the laptop at all but found a video on YouTube that tells you how to do it without the need for a PC/laptop.
Working perfect. Watched the Leicester game tonight  on it and it was perfect.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.