Best Club Championship

Started by Oakleafer93, April 28, 2009, 11:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakleafer93

With a bit of bias I have to say the Derry championship is probably the best in Ulster, Armagh are a one team county and Tyrone don't seem to have much of a buzz about their championship. What about the other teams in Ulster, do St Galls or Cavan Gaels face much opposition?

Although my beloved Lavey are no longer feared by the rest of the county..I still enjoy it with one of 4 or 5 teams capable of winning John Mc Laughlin and 2 or 3 more capable of causing an upset.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on April 28, 2009, 11:54:42 PM
With a bit of bias I have to say the Derry championship is probably the best in Ulster, Armagh are a one team county and Tyrone don't seem to have much of a buzz about their championship. What about the other teams in Ulster, do St Galls or Cavan Gaels face much opposition?

Although my beloved Lavey are no longer feared by the rest of the county..I still enjoy it with one of 4 or 5 teams capable of winning John Mc Laughlin and 2 or 3 more capable of causing an upset.

Think thats a bit generous to be fair. Its between Ballinderry, Slaughtneil and Glenullin with the Shamrocks the clear favourites of the 3. Maybe Screen, Bellaghy or Dungiven could push for an upset though.

Right enough, Derry has a high number of top tier clubs who would be dangerous in Ulster, think the ulster league results of recent years show this
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Oakleafer93

Quote from: hardstation on April 29, 2009, 12:06:08 AM
What do you mean by 'the best'?

Most competitive and has the most chance of the winners winniner Ulster or All Ireland

Oakleafer93

Quote from: hardstation on April 29, 2009, 12:07:19 AM
Junior championship in Antrim and Armagh.

'Tis two questions really.

You can take it however way you like.

moysider

whiskeysteve

Quote from: moysider on April 29, 2009, 12:24:39 AM

This an Ulster only thread?

No its a vehicle for Oakleafer to beat a Derry drum.

you aint worthy...
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

mattockranger

my personal opinion fro club championships i've seen most recently

The Dublin senior championship seems to be the most competitive
2 all-ireland winners in the past two seasons
attract's alot of big names from outside the county-The premiership of sorts!
not too sure about the quality or maybe entertainment of the football on view but highly competitive

My own county championship in louth is highly recognised in the county and has alot of passion with a genuine buzz about the place
error ridden games and fierce local rivalries make the football entertaining but not of the highest order
i would liken the standard to down football with exception to Mayobridge

Meath Championship games in pairc tailtinn make for excellent nights viewing
with emphasis on pure football 'catch and kick' with most sides having one quality forward on view and usually delivers
highly emotional as meath people and the fans involved seem to be...with good natured tempers boiling over on numerous occasions but all good natured (except the recent flare up) The standard of refereeing meath has a lot to do with the free flowing football and lack of bullshit
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Oakleafer93

No everyones welcome, but I am just unfamiliar with other provinces

Oakleafer93

Quote from: whiskeysteve on April 29, 2009, 12:25:49 AM

No its a vehicle for Oakleafer to beat a Derry drum.

you aint worthy...

Excuse me? I ain't beating no Derry drum. I have already pointed out my club aren't one of those in the mix up.

armaghniac

QuoteArmagh are a one team county

But there is great interest in who comes second.  :D

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Oakleafer93

Quote from: hardstation on April 29, 2009, 12:35:52 AM
Why did you pick Derry? Because you're from there?

No because Derry is a highly competitive championship and I am by in large a neutral when it comes to crunch time. This year I think, Ballinderry, Slaughtneil, Glenullin, Dungiven or Bellaghy could win with up and coming teams like Coleraine or Screen causing an upset.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on April 29, 2009, 12:42:08 AM

No because Derry is a highly competitive championship and I am by in large a neutral when it comes to crunch time. This year I think, Ballinderry, Slaughtneil, Glenullin, Dungiven or Bellaghy could win with up and coming teams like Coleraine or Screen causing an upset.

:D I wish  :D

If Coleraine win Derry this season, I will post a nude picture of myself.

Oakleafer93

Quote from: whiskeysteve on April 29, 2009, 12:58:52 AM
Quote from: Oakleafer93 on April 29, 2009, 12:42:08 AM

:D I wish  :D

If Coleraine win Derry this season, I will post a nude picture of myself.

I don't mean win it, I mean knock out a favourite.

INDIANA

wouldn't agree on the Dublin SFC -dominated by 4/5 premiership clubs . Standard is pretty mediocre fellas. The 4/5 teams only have 2 really competitive games now- ie against each other. The Leinster club championship is pretty poor . Any of the 4/5 above big clubs if they win dublin -would have to play really badly to lose in it, in its current state. So then you're in an all-ireland semi final.
The long run in suits the big clubs in Dublin. Often would train like professional teams for the all-ireland semi and final. Twice a day 3-4 days a week. Double sessions at weekends, training camps away - a carte blanche from the county board not to play any club fixtures till after paddys day. its not a fair refelction of the standard. Any of you in Dublin from tonight to sunday should drop into parnell to see some of it and watch the influx of foreign stars that is ruining the club game here.
Would explain our county record and Leinsters in general. I would say in counties like Kerry and Tyrone the standard is more even and as a result they get more indigenous players of a very good standard from which to pick a county side. We have a shockingly limited pool of high quality Gaelic Footballers.

fitzroyalty

Derry probably have the strongest clubs in their SFC though it doesn't mean its the best championship as Ballinderry will probably be clear favs to win it again this year. Same with Down (mayobridge), Armagh (cross) Antrim (galls) and Cavan (gaels). Tyrone would be interesting as there are a few teams in with a shout, would it be the same for donegal and monaghan? Here's hoping for victory in 09 to slaughtneil kilcoo pearse ogs cargin and mullahoran!