Ulster Championship 2020

Started by J70, October 26, 2020, 03:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

You would imagine that the only reason that the bookies have Donegal as favourites is due to Tyrones absentee list.  Any word on McShanes progress?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 27, 2020, 01:52:36 PM
You would imagine that the only reason that the bookies have Donegal as favourites is due to Tyrones absentee list.  Any word on McShanes progress?

So if Tyrone had a full team available Tyrone would be favs? Where's the game being played?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: LCohen on October 27, 2020, 12:18:56 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on October 27, 2020, 12:02:39 PM
Quote from: LCohen on October 26, 2020, 04:29:07 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on October 26, 2020, 04:06:03 PM
For the love of fcuk, please nobody blame results on covid "we would have won only we were missing players with covid" everyone is in the same boat, and its down to pot luck whether players get away without it. 

Monaghan (it should be closer than the league standing would suggest)

Armagh (Armagh to be cruising, Derry to cop on the defence is suspect and to run them close in the end, me to have a mini heart attack as is the norm with Armagh matches these days)

Down (should be routine, Fermanagh are in a bad place)
Donegal/Tyrone too hard to call and will come down to who makes the least mistakes on the day. 

Donegal/Tyrone to win Ulster

Everybody might not be in the same boat though

I think they are to be honest.  Most teams have the risk of getting decimated with covid dropouts on a week to week basis.  A team at full strength may be unfortunate to have several key players out of action the week after. 

Hopefully players be extra careful over the next month so it doesn't come to that.

Respectfully that is complete nonsense.

Your original point was that nobody should complain that "we would have won only we were missing players with covid" as everyone is in the same boat. It is simply not the case that a team that is missing 20 players is in the same boat as a team that could have been missing 20 players. It simply isn't.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that or anything like it

Of course a team missing 20 players isn't the same as a team at full strength, but my point was simply all teams can be equally as unlucky to have players out of a fixture as a result of it. 

The only thing I say me and you will agree on is that we will need a fresh set of togs coming into the last 10mins of the Armagh match. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 27, 2020, 09:01:21 AM
I felt Donegal didnt even come out of second gear against Tyrone, yes Tyrone were doing maybe some shadow boxing also but they needed the wins to secure safety in Div1..

Once Donegal develop a lead, its very hard to win ball back and get a score before they get another one, Murphy was picking up balls in his fullback line and popping up a minute or so later fighting for the ball at fullforward.

15/8 is the best price you'll get on that list

The main issue with Tyrone is defensively. Donegal at their ease scored 2-17 in that round 6 tie, last Sunday was a do or die championship like match whereby one would expect Tyrone to concede a low score yet they conceded 1-19 to a Mayo side without their main marksman Cillian O’Connor and Tyrone only won because of agurably David Clarkes worst performance in a Mayo shirt. 

Angelo

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 27, 2020, 02:20:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 27, 2020, 09:01:21 AM
I felt Donegal didnt even come out of second gear against Tyrone, yes Tyrone were doing maybe some shadow boxing also but they needed the wins to secure safety in Div1..

Once Donegal develop a lead, its very hard to win ball back and get a score before they get another one, Murphy was picking up balls in his fullback line and popping up a minute or so later fighting for the ball at fullforward.

15/8 is the best price you'll get on that list

The main issue with Tyrone is defensively. Donegal at their ease scored 2-17 in that round 6 tie, last Sunday was a do or die championship like match whereby one would expect Tyrone to concede a low score yet they conceded 1-19 to a Mayo side without their main marksman Cillian O'Connor and Tyrone only won because of agurably David Clarkes worst performance in a Mayo shirt.

Tyrone should have been a lot further ahead at HT than 8 points and Mayo were eased back into it with a number of very soft frees in comparison. Tyrone made very hard work of what should have been fairly routine to close out. Players looked out on their feet near the end but hopefully a battle like the second turned into will bring them on for Donegal.

The key of this game will be kickouts. Donegal have aggressively pressed in the last two meetings as they have backed themselves to dominate us in midfield which they did, they have more size and pace in that middle third area. Thought Kennedy added a lot to us at the weekend but was notably tiring in that second half before being withdrawn.

We are lacking in defensive options - Hampsey, Brennan, Cassidy and O'Neill are all likely to miss out. Three of those would have started I'd have guessed.

If we can break even in primary possession then we have a decent shot but I just feel that Donegal completely have our number tactically and given the number of players we likely be down, key players, then it's hard to see a Tyrone win here.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Angelo on October 27, 2020, 02:59:10 PM

Tyrone should have been a lot further ahead at HT than 8 points and Mayo were eased back into it with a number of very soft frees in comparison. Tyrone made very hard work of what should have been fairly routine to close out. Players looked out on their feet near the end but hopefully a battle like the second turned into will bring them on for Donegal.

Could be a less in front at half time but for Mayo butchering a number of good goal scoring chances 1st half. Mayo dominated the 2nd half out scoring Tyrone 1-12 to 1-5 in the end the goal keeping error on the 3rd goal was key to Tyrones narrow win.  If a simliar 70 minute performance is produced by Tyrone on Sunday it will result in a comfortable win for Donegal.

Angelo

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 27, 2020, 03:21:40 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 27, 2020, 02:59:10 PM

Could be a less in front at half time but for Mayo butchering a number of good goal scoring chances 1st half. Mayo dominated the 2nd half out scoring Tyrone 1-12 to 1-5 in the end the goal keeping error on the 3rd goal was key to Tyrones narrow win.  If a simliar 70 minute performance is produced by Tyrone on Sunday it will result in a comfortable win for Donegal.

No we should have been a lot more in front, Harte and Donnelly had goal chances which they took points in. McKenna had another goal chance himself, we hit about 5/6 scorable wides in the first half, McKernan dropped one into Clarke's hands. We should have been about 12 up at HT on the balance of play and had the game over as a contest. Mayo were highly reliant on a number of soft frees to keep them in it.

0-02 of Tyrone's 2-09 came from frees in the first half.
0-03 of Mayo's 0-07 came from frees in the first half.

rrhf

Has Murphy recovered from when Mc kenna put him on his arse? Might take more than last weeks game. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rrhf on October 27, 2020, 05:26:54 PM
Has Murphy recovered from when Mc kenna put him on his arse? Might take more than last weeks game.

Think he was fine when he showed him the score at the end  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Leagues for playing in, championship is what counts!

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Angelo on October 27, 2020, 04:25:36 PM
No we should have been a lot more in front, Harte and Donnelly had goal chances which they took points in. McKenna had another goal chance himself, we hit about 5/6 scorable wides in the first half, McKernan dropped one into Clarke's hands. We should have been about 12 up at HT on the balance of play and had the game over as a contest. Mayo were highly reliant on a number of soft frees to keep them in it.

As I already stated could be a less in front at half time also. If Mayo were clinical on Sunday they would have scored in the region of 4-22. For the record this is what Tyrone conceded in their previous 6 matches in McHale Park. 0-8,1-7,1-11,1-11,1-8,1-5

The current issues Tyrone have in defence has to be a big cause for concern for this upcoming knock out championship tie.

Angelo

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 27, 2020, 06:23:25 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 27, 2020, 04:25:36 PM

As I already stated could be a less in front at half time also. If Mayo were clinical on Sunday they would have scored in the region of 4-22. For the record this is what Tyrone conceded in their previous 6 matches in McHale Park. 0-8,1-7,1-11,1-11,1-8,1-5

The current issues Tyrone have in defence has to be a big cause for concern for this upcoming knock out championship tie.

Could have but they should have been more than the 8 pts ahead on the balance of play.

If Mayo took every single opportunity going they might have scored 4-22, if Tyrone took every single opportunity available they might have scored 6-26.

That's the hypothesis you're proposing.

Tyrone do have an issue in their defence presently and also in midfield.

Brennan and Hampsey are guaranteed starters we will have to do without in that defence next week. I hope we show improvements in that area this coming weekend but my eyes are more focused to next year and what having a fit and fresh McShane can do to our attack along with McKenna.

delgany

Middle 8 not winning an equal share of the breaking ball is a major reason why defence is under pressure. The defence  do turn over alot of forwards to be fair to them.

Angelo

Quote from: delgany on October 27, 2020, 06:59:14 PM
Middle 8 not winning an equal share of the breaking ball is a major reason why defence is under pressure. The defence  do turn over alot of forwards to be fair to them.

It certainly does a lot to explain it but then you look at two goals we let in against Donegal and it was just brainless defending, players letting men run in behind them without tracking the runs, three or four players charging towards a player with the ball and leaving so much space in behind.

There's a lot of players you could blame for the first Donegal goal but McKernan was the most guilty party as he was in a good position to cover, left his position to go after Mogan when there was enough there to deal with him and then they all bought the dummy and were wide open.

Hampsey was at fault for the second as he didn't track Brennan in behind when he was the closest player to him.