The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Never say die lads. We have been on a dreadful run but we are still in the top two and by all accounts Norwich was our best performance for months. If we can manage a win at home to Swindon, the remaining fixtures before the trip to Charlton look reasonable on paper. Saturday is a huge day so bring it on.

Billys Boots

I'm very fearful - they can turn it on for the big games, but are sadly lacking in the humdrum fixtures.  A normal end-of-season beckons, sadly.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Archie Mitchell

Leeds have gone to the dogs since their FA Cup exploits. 3-0 down at home to Swindon today which puts Swindon into 2nd place and Leeds drop to 4th.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on April 03, 2010, 04:21:36 PM
Leeds have gone to the dogs since their FA Cup exploits. 3-0 down at home to Swindon today which puts Swindon into 2nd place and Leeds drop to 4th.

Down to fourth, and level on points with fifth placed Charlton. There is a gap of six points to Huddersfield and Colchester in sixth and seventh, and bearing in mind that seventh is outside the play offs, there would be now a real danger of missing out totally - although given their current form, I'm not sure it matters much!!  :-[

T Fearon

Thought Leeds were home and dry at Xmas. Surely another season in the third division (can't get my head round this Premier, Championship,League One crap) will be too much for a loyal support to take

Mourne Rover

Don't worry Tony, the Leeds support will still be there regardless, but the recent decline has been incredible. I honestly thought we would beat Swindon today and get the show back on the road for the run-in, but we are going from bad to worse. That is four defeats on the bounce, with seven conceded and none scored. It would have been almost impossble to allow the sale of Beckford after he got the winner at Old Trafford, but his goals have dried up since then and no one else can seem to step up to the plate. While Grayson had a fine start to his time at Elland Road, his record with loan players lately looks very questionable.  Leeds have made play-offs on four occasions, going back to 1987, without ever managing to secure promotion. A fifth attempt, assuming we actually stay in the top six, would strain the nerve ends.

Mourne Rover

A fine performance today for two-thirds of the match, and a huge sweat towards the end. After starting the second half two up, it was shooting practice for the next 15 minutes and we really should have got at least another three. However, one bad goal turned things round and we might even have have drawn a game which we largely dominated. Gradel was brilliant, and could be the forward to rescue us. Six matches to go,including the trip to Charlton, and everything to play for.   

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 05, 2010, 08:45:31 PM
A fine performance today for two-thirds of the match, and a huge sweat towards the end. After starting the second half two up, it was shooting practice for the next 15 minutes and we really should have got at least another three. However, one bad goal turned things round and we might even have have drawn a game which we largely dominated. Gradel was brilliant, and could be the forward to rescue us. Six matches to go,including the trip to Charlton, and everything to play for.

Agree with that - should have been out of sight after twenty minutes of the second half, but one stupid mistale let Yeovil back in and then you could sense the mental fragility. Gradel was excellent, but Naylor for me was Leeds best player - not just the two goals, but the way he dominated when Yeovil were throwing everything in to the penalty area at the end.

If Leeds can take heart from this, there is no reason why any of the remaining fixtures are not winnable. Both Millwall and Swindon have difficult fixtures to come, and indeed still have to play each other.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 05, 2010, 09:57:40 PM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 05, 2010, 08:45:31 PM

Agree with that - should have been out of sight after twenty minutes of the second half, but one stupid mistale let Yeovil back in and then you could sense the mental fragility. Gradel was excellent, but Naylor for me was Leeds best player - not just the two goals, but the way he dominated when Yeovil were throwing everything in to the penalty area at the end.

If Leeds can take heart from this, there is no reason why any of the remaining fixtures are not winnable. Both Millwall and Swindon have difficult fixtures to come, and indeed still have to play each other.

I worry about the defence, it Doyles mistake for the goal but Naylor was poor defending the shot, he never got close enough and opened his legs in the tackle which is no-no. Yeovil put feck all pressure on Leeds and we looked like panicking, that scares me. The next 3 fixtures look good on paper so hopefully we'll kick on. Beckford annoyed me today, didnt work half as hard as gradel imo and thats not on. I thought Howson was very poor aswell, and defensively Doyle and Kilkenny left alot to be desired. PLayed better football, but Leeds need to score 3 goals a game nearly to win as I think we'lll concede. I like Grayson to be honest, hope he sorts the defence out more though.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

BennyHarp

If leeds finish 3rd and end up in the play offs - get all your money on huddersfield to dump them out in the semi final!
That was never a square ball!!

SLIGONIAN

3 wins in a row and back to second with Millwall drawing.

This second place is a rollercoaster at the minute. 4 games to go.

Billys Boots

Away to Gillingham on Saturday - must win.  Then home to MK Dons.  Then the crucial game - away to Charlton on May 1st.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

SLIGONIAN

Big Result for Leeds tonight as form team Millwall are starting to stutter, theyve lost to Huddersfield tonight. Great result for us, hoefully tomorrow we may open a 4pt gap to them.

Remember Millwall v Swindon is last game and ours is Bristol Rovers at home. Charlton away is huge. Cmon Leeds.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 16, 2010, 10:30:56 PM
Big Result for Leeds tonight as form team Millwall are starting to stutter, theyve lost to Huddersfield tonight. Great result for us, hoefully tomorrow we may open a 4pt gap to them.

Remember Millwall v Swindon is last game and ours is Bristol Rovers at home. Charlton away is huge. Cmon Leeds.

Watched the match tonight, roaring on the Terriers. IF Leeds can beat the Gills, then a serious opportunity presents itself. Charlton play Norwich tomorrow, so obviously points will be dropped there. Win tomorrow and Leeds are four clear over Millwall with three to play - call me optimistic, but I'm hoping the Charlton game won't matter!   :-\

Mourne Rover

The Leeds revival came to an abrupt halt today, although at least we showed some fight by coming back from three down away to Gillingham after just over half an hour by pulling it back to 3-2 by the end. However, other results over the weekend went very well for us as, of our three main rivals for the final automatic promotion slot, Swindon only drew at home while Charlton and Millwall both lost. We are still holding on to second place by a single point, but we will still definitely go up if we can somehow win our last three games. This is going to be a big sweat.