Quote from: Last Man on November 23, 2015, 07:06:52 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 23, 2015, 06:43:39 PM
Quote from: Last Man on November 23, 2015, 06:06:02 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on November 20, 2015, 08:22:32 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 20, 2015, 09:58:30 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on November 20, 2015, 09:38:27 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 20, 2015, 09:24:04 AM
Quote from: WTF u on about? on November 19, 2015, 11:04:38 PM
It's ok for some of u to say the league doesn't matter but that's only if ur at the top end of it! What about teams at the bottom of div1 /top of div 2?? Them playing a match without a couple of their best players could be the difference between promotion/relegation and the progression of their club! Clubs should have all their players for all games sure why would X y and z miss an important club game to sit on the bench for the county.

Thats my point. All this talk about 'we wont interfere with the clubs' nonsense falls to an arse at the first sight of a team thinking they have a chance to call a game off.

Clubs will look after their own interests first and foremost and if they have 2-3 main players in the team they will want to call a game off if its against a top/bottom team rival.

Then you will have people moan that there isnt enough games for our players to develop - again.

If the county senior team didn't interfere  with club fixtures - then why would any club be looking a match off?
I just really think that given the current level of our hurlers and the opposition we'll be up against - now more than ever is the time to give the club season some real unfettered life.
Noises are that PJ is open to this - it would be great to see - we have nothing to lose.
We've tried calling games off to wrap the county men in cotton wool for weeks before games - it hasn't worked.
Lets give it a go at playing our club season with real uninterrupted impetus - and see if that can in turn increase our playing pool.

Are you accepting that the intercounty hurlers may well end up playing two games in two days then?

I'm not oblivious to fixture issues.
What I mean is that a max of 18-20 hurlers are involved in say a CR game v Kildare on a Saturday. Clubs effected could play the Wednesday before or the Monday after - a bit like soccer does with European fixtures.
Sure, there may be once or twice daylight doesn't permit this.
So maybe some guys might have 2 games in 2 days once or twice the whole year. Their clubs might voluntarily rest them!
But the point is that this is rare - so the huge majority of playing population with clubs does not come to a standstill for 18-20 to go to Kildare.
It's the bigger picture - broadening the player base my broadening the amount of competitive hurling for everyone.

I see Glenmore are through to a Leinster Junior final with Ger Aylward in good scoring form, what does this say for lads in Antrim being told that if they are not playing at senior Div 1 level they cant expect to progress in intercounty hurling.
. Why who was told this and by who???
Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 23, 2015, 06:43:39 PM
Quote from: Last Man on November 23, 2015, 06:06:02 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on November 20, 2015, 08:22:32 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 20, 2015, 09:58:30 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on November 20, 2015, 09:38:27 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 20, 2015, 09:24:04 AM
Quote from: WTF u on about? on November 19, 2015, 11:04:38 PM
It's ok for some of u to say the league doesn't matter but that's only if ur at the top end of it! What about teams at the bottom of div1 /top of div 2?? Them playing a match without a couple of their best players could be the difference between promotion/relegation and the progression of their club! Clubs should have all their players for all games sure why would X y and z miss an important club game to sit on the bench for the county.

Thats my point. All this talk about 'we wont interfere with the clubs' nonsense falls to an arse at the first sight of a team thinking they have a chance to call a game off.

Clubs will look after their own interests first and foremost and if they have 2-3 main players in the team they will want to call a game off if its against a top/bottom team rival.

Then you will have people moan that there isnt enough games for our players to develop - again.

If the county senior team didn't interfere  with club fixtures - then why would any club be looking a match off?
I just really think that given the current level of our hurlers and the opposition we'll be up against - now more than ever is the time to give the club season some real unfettered life.
Noises are that PJ is open to this - it would be great to see - we have nothing to lose.
We've tried calling games off to wrap the county men in cotton wool for weeks before games - it hasn't worked.
Lets give it a go at playing our club season with real uninterrupted impetus - and see if that can in turn increase our playing pool.

Are you accepting that the intercounty hurlers may well end up playing two games in two days then?

I'm not oblivious to fixture issues.
What I mean is that a max of 18-20 hurlers are involved in say a CR game v Kildare on a Saturday. Clubs effected could play the Wednesday before or the Monday after - a bit like soccer does with European fixtures.
Sure, there may be once or twice daylight doesn't permit this.
So maybe some guys might have 2 games in 2 days once or twice the whole year. Their clubs might voluntarily rest them!
But the point is that this is rare - so the huge majority of playing population with clubs does not come to a standstill for 18-20 to go to Kildare.
It's the bigger picture - broadening the player base my broadening the amount of competitive hurling for everyone.

I see Glenmore are through to a Leinster Junior final with Ger Aylward in good scoring form, what does this say for lads in Antrim being told that if they are not playing at senior Div 1 level they cant expect to progress in intercounty hurling.
. Why who was told this and by who???
By a member of last years management team to a couple of lads from our club, it would be the prevailing attitude in a number of circles in fairness. Doesnt seem a prerequisite in other counties though.

Other county junior teams would give div 1 Antrim teams a decent game, plus a lot of these lads are playing decent school and university level hurling... But I know what you mean Last man
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

keep her low this half

How are Glenmore a junior team? They were winning Kilkenny senior championships 20 years ago. A lot of teams in various counties drop down one grade to have a crack at an all ireland but two grades is a bit much.

paddyjohn

Quote from: keep her low this half on November 23, 2015, 08:52:02 PM
How are Glenmore a junior team? They were winning Kilkenny senior championships 20 years ago. A lot of teams in various counties drop down one grade to have a crack at an all ireland but two grades is a bit much.

How do you know what problems the club has had? How do you know they've dropped 2 grades to have a crack at an All Ireland JHC?

Na Glinntí Glasa

They dropped to intermediate a few years ago and then were demoted to junior last year. Its not the same in antrim as kilkenny. They have a promotion and relegation in each grade due to the number of teams and the skill level being much higher.

Glenmore lost their senior status in 2005, losing out in a relegation play-off against Fenians.

In 2014, Glenmore lost their Intermediate Status losing in a relegation play off to Conahy Shamrocks by 2-22 to 3-16. This was a bitter blow for a famous club who not so long ago were a force to be reckoned with at the top table of Club Hurling both in Kilkenny and on the National Stage.

You cant compare antrim and kilkenny junior club hurling. Bennettsbridge won it last year and went on to win the all ireland that year and have just won this years intermediate title for the first time. this is a club that boast Noel Skehan as a former keeper.

The standard of club hurling is much higher and is far more competitive. Its hurling first and foremost. Football is a non event.
hurl like f**k boi!

Last Man

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 24, 2015, 09:08:23 AM

They dropped to intermediate a few years ago and then were demoted to junior last year. Its not the same in antrim as kilkenny. They have a promotion and relegation in each grade due to the number of teams and the skill level being much higher.

That puts Creggan's achievement in perspective.

Glenmore lost their senior status in 2005, losing out in a relegation play-off against Fenians.

In 2014, Glenmore lost their Intermediate Status losing in a relegation play off to Conahy Shamrocks by 2-22 to 3-16. This was a bitter blow for a famous club who not so long ago were a force to be reckoned with at the top table of Club Hurling both in Kilkenny and on the National Stage.

You cant compare antrim and kilkenny junior club hurling. Bennettsbridge won it last year and went on to win the all ireland that year and have just won this years intermediate title for the first time. this is a club that boast Noel Skehan as a former keeper.

The standard of club hurling is much higher and is far more competitive. Its hurling first and foremost. Football is a non event.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Last Man on November 24, 2015, 09:36:48 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 24, 2015, 09:08:23 AM

That puts Creggan's achievement in perspective.

It really does Last Man, Creggan's achievement was massive and they have moved on as such and kick on a gear as too have Rossa
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

I think thats just fanciful thinking there folks. Teams in KK dont want to drop down, they get relegated if they aint up to the standard. No club wants to drop down in KK. Rossa were a senior club that dropped down by their own doings and won the intermediate championship at a canter in antrim and ulster.

Im not making little of Rossas achievement on winning an all ireland, it was an unreal achievement and something they should be extremely proud of.

Clubs in antrim decide if they want to stay in a championship. Cloughmills came up to senior, gave it a go, didnt progress and dropped back down again. I would of liked to see them stick at it and keep going in it. Same with Ahoghill. I hope that Creggan will give it a real go and stick at senior as well. it can only be good for our club game with more teams competing for the Vol cup. Upsets happen in championship hurling!
hurl like f**k boi!

cfclg

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 24, 2015, 10:31:34 AM
I think thats just fanciful thinking there folks. Teams in KK dont want to drop down, they get relegated if they aint up to the standard. No club wants to drop down in KK. Rossa were a senior club that dropped down by their own doings and won the intermediate championship at a canter in antrim and ulster.

Im not making little of Rossas achievement on winning an all ireland, it was an unreal achievement and something they should be extremely proud of.

Clubs in antrim decide if they want to stay in a championship. Cloughmills came up to senior, gave it a go, didnt progress and dropped back down again. I would of liked to see them stick at it and keep going in it. Same with Ahoghill. I hope that Creggan will give it a real go and stick at senior as well. it can only be good for our club game with more teams competing for the Vol cup. Upsets happen in championship hurling!

Totally agree with your points here. Clubs in Antrim are continually pondering what cship to enter rather than fighting hard to be the best they can and not dropping down. Our structure doesn't help them obviously with no relegation play offs etc. I have always felt that this would eb a good idea but then clubs might start throwing these games so they could move down, you cant win. Main point is that in KK they all want to be at the top table.

cfclg

Quote from: cfclg on November 24, 2015, 12:48:52 PM

Totally agree with your points here. Clubs in Antrim are continually pondering what cship to enter rather than fighting hard to be the best they can and not dropping down. Our structure doesn't help them obviously with no relegation play offs etc. I have always felt that this would eb a good idea but then clubs might start throwing these games so they could move down, you cant win. Main point is that in KK they all want to be at the top table.

MR2, whats St Galls plans for cship 2016? Remain senior or drop down? I have the same question for anyone from Ahoghill on here?

I'm hearing St Pauls are entering JHC, what about Cushendun and Armoy, will they also enter the junior competition?? So many possibilities............

btdtgtt

Quote from: cfclg on November 24, 2015, 12:51:37 PM

MR2, whats St Galls plans for cship 2016? Remain senior or drop down? I have the same question for anyone from Ahoghill on here?

I'm hearing St Pauls are entering JHC, what about Cushendun and Armoy, will they also enter the junior competition?? So many possibilities............

Heard that myself. Disappointing but maybe inevitable when still reliant on guys like PD and Kieran Killyleagh - fantastic role models but nothing coming to step into their shoes.
Any further news on management changes?
Have heard little happening at Sarsfields whilst predictably St Johns will be sticking and Rossa will be changing.
SiE and SG any progress on the big job?

Milltown Row2

Would sincerely hope we stay at Senior... we have about 5 decent young hurlers who could keep us going for a while yet until the younger younger generation make it past minor... I'd be happy if we keep trying.... new manager on the horizon too for both teams so, be interesting to see what happens

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2015, 02:55:38 PM

Would sincerely hope we stay at Senior... we have about 5 decent young hurlers who could keep us going for a while yet until the younger younger generation make it past minor... I'd be happy if we keep trying.... new manager on the horizon too for both teams so, be interesting to see what happens

Any idea on your management setup - Maybe that will decide championship tier or club committee?
Do you see any change in the dual balance with your footballers loss this year?

Milltown Row2

Nope, the club is a footballing first hurling second club... we are dual but preference will (from my view unfortunately) will be football...... success dictates a lot of things... but we'll see... Only one person springing to my mind that may be interested in the hurling, as for the football, we may stay in house.. who knows?

Sleeping giant

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 24, 2015, 02:07:54 PM

Heard that myself. Disappointing but maybe inevitable when still reliant on guys like PD and Kieran Killyleagh - fantastic role models but nothing coming to step into their shoes.
Any further news on management changes?
Have heard little happening at Sarsfields whilst predictably St Johns will be sticking and Rossa will be changing.
SiE and SG any progress on the big job?
it's complicated. Lol
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.