Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 30, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LooseCannon

Gmac

Quote from: High Fielder on August 13, 2019, 09:08:04 AM
We've heard nothing official from the CB (unlikely anyway) or from Sugrue. They want your money, support and volunteerism but don't dare ask any questions. We have no right to expect an explanation, but it's the done thing nowadays. Cian O Neill wrote an essay FFS. But not in Laois of course. Another PR disaster.
+1 the fact that Sugrue has not made a statement makes it look like it was far from an amicable parting and the cb don't want anyone to know why or what happened.

GAA-SMART

Hopefully nothing untoward and it is what was said. Family & Work, we will know soon enough im sure.

Is anyone going to the Adam Mangan final on Saturday ?

Chrimtain

I wonder would Davy Burke, the man who guided Kildare U20s to an All Ireland and rejected for the position of senior manager, be worth appraoching for our job?

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Jack O'Connor officially nominated for the Kildare job, lets hope Sugrue don't go with him.
http://kildaregaa.ie/statement-kildare-senior-football-manager/
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

les Antiques

Quote from: Chrimtain on August 13, 2019, 08:39:27 PM
I wonder would Davy Burke, the man who guided Kildare U20s to an All Ireland and rejected for the position of senior manager, be worth appraoching for our job?

No and no again

Joeythelips

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on August 14, 2019, 12:12:53 AM
Jack O'Connor officially nominated for the Kildare job, lets hope Sugrue don't go with him.
http://kildaregaa.ie/statement-kildare-senior-football-manager/

Sugrue has done a great job with Laois and owes us nothing but I would be hugely disappointed if he turned up as part of O'Connors backroom team. One of Sugrue's best traits was his straight talking and honesty, so I would be very surprised if he said he stood down due to family and work commitments only to take a similar role with our neighbours.

High Fielder

Surprised? I'd be fuckin livid. The Squealers must have got another bailout from Croke Park to be able to afford this Dream Team. It's a good few years now since HQ told them to get rid of that hen house they call a stadium.

In all seriousness, fair play to them. They've shown real intent with O Connor. They have plenty of good young footballers so if they don't go for it now, they never will. It's inconceivable that Sugrue will go in with them because whatever happened in Laois, that would be a shitty thing to do on Laois people. I don't think Sugrue is that type of person and even if we allow for the CB making a hames of things (which I'm still prepared to be sceptical about) then walking down the road to Kildare would never be the right thing to do

Don Draper

O Connor has had a disappointing time with the Kerry U20's. He lost a few marquee players, grand, so did everyone, but he's had his hole handed to him repeatedly at the grade. His star is on the wane as a result in Kerry, the pressure was coming on. Grand to win a few All Irelands against Mayo with some of the greatest players to play the game, and pick up some Minors with some outstanding players, but he's not pushed on and he wasn't able for Tyrone. The knives were being sharpened. Kildare have given him a life raft. We'll see how it goes. I don't for one second believe the rumors about Sugrue and any job in Kildare. Idle chatter from empty vessels. He desereves far more respect than he's getting on here with such talk.

High Fielder

Nobody has disrespected Sugrue. It's quite the contrary in fact, and that is why people are speculating so much. Nobody cared when some of our previous managers departed, but this is very different. People looked at Sugrue as the tide who could lift a few boats, and there is no doubt that he brought a renewed enthusiasm. In the same way that none of us expect him to go to Kildare, I have a similar feeling that he wouldn't walk away unless something went wrong. If all is as simple as family and work, then why not say that? You're hardly letting people into your confidence by telling the truth. You're also stopping the speculation.

Don Draper

He has no requirement to say or explain anything. He gave Laois two years of his life and stepped away. The sense of entitlement on here is off the charts.

High Fielder

Entitlement? Are you serious? I have followed Laois around the country for a long, long time and have contributed a lot of money in one way or another to Laois GAA. That commitment extends way beyond two years. I get nothing back for that except my enjoyment (rare) of the odd good performance. I even had to pay to get a spot in the car park, only to see lads getting in for free. Entitlement me hole. I'll let you off.

Giovanni

Surely to God it's reasonable for volunteers, sponsors, supporters of Laois GAA to want to know the reasons for the his departure? It may not be an "entitlement" but it's a reasonable expectation. There are several good reasons why this information should be shared as a matter of course. Firstly, it prevents the marginalisation of the people that the organisation depends on (people like HF who are providing both financial and moral support to county and club teams). Secondly, greater transparency in decision-making helps to ensure that people are more likely to behave with some maturity when they get into these positions. Finally, it exposes root causes of particular problems that will never be solved otherwise.

This is not about "entitlement". It's about doing what's right.

High Fielder

portlaoisekid

Sugrues departure has left a sour taste in the mouth and if the rumours that he has agreed to join O'Connors back room team are true then it further sheds a dark cloud over this sorry affair.Once again Laois players and supporters left in the sh!t.

For Laois moving forward I'm genuinely worried as to who we will get, this could all go wrong very quickly and move back down the divisions again.