Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

ARMAGH THURS 29TH JANUARY

Training for GAA Players

Title: Making Athletes More Explosive and International Rules Training Plan

Venue: Ardmore Recreation Centre

Time: 7.00pm – 10.00pm

Facilitator: Mike McGurn

Mike has a wealth of experience working with top class athletes on their strength & conditioning. The former Ireland Rugby guru, now with Welsh side Ospreys, has enjoyed huge success in rugby league with the St. Helens team which won the treble of Challenge Cup, Super League and the World Cup Championship in 2001. Mike more recently help prepare the Irish Team for the International Australian Rules. He has also worked as a consultant for Leeds United, Everton, and numerous senior County GAA teams.

Course Content: This practical session will explore the training methods to be used to make the individual/team more explosive therefore being adequately prepared for peak performance.

Relevancy: Suitable for coaches involved in training and preparation of teams/individuals who train more than 3 hours per week.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Just saw that and following the preseason thread I thought I'd raise it for the members in the Northern half of the country - looks interesting ....

I'll try and go to this as I'd be interested to hear his thoughts or opinions on the International Rules and the differences between Rugby, GAA, AFL and International Rules

JMohan

http://ulster.gaa.ie/2008/12/22/2009-ulster-coaching-conference/

Then on the 24th - The Ulster Coaching Conference

2009 Ulster Coaching Conference

This year the Ulster GAA Coaching Conference is targeting coaches who workin the nursery and juvenile sections of our clubs. This is a very important area within our clubs. It is at this stage of the young player's development that the right building blocks are set down for their future progress and development.

The title of the Conference "Physical Activity, Common Goals, Different Roles" was used at the National Coaching and Training Centres 8th National Forum in 2005. This has become very relevant in Ulster as we have moved forward in recent years. Clubs are now running nursery sessions with under 6's and fundamentals up to Under 8 and 10 with more sports specific activity up to under 12 and 14. The Minister's Sport in Schools programme is delivering physical literacy to Foundation and Key Stage 1 pupils (up to primary 4). Teachers in the Schools also have a responsibility for delivering the new curriculum and embedded in this is the Fundamental Movement Skills Programme (FMS) being delivered by the Education and Library Boards.

The Conference explores how all stakeholders have a common goal, the physical literacy and health of our young people and the development of better technical and tactically aware children and youth who feed into our Gaelic Games.

As we move forward the "what" we coach becomes increasingly important. Of equal importance is the "how" we coach - as the coach / player interaction often influences the young persons' future involvement in our games. We are joined by some of Irelands leading coaches and educationalists who will share their expertise, knowledge, ideas and concerns as we "strive to meet the needs of the future generation of GAA players in Ulster".

The conference attendance is limited to 350, and places will be distributed on a first come first served basis.

The cost of attending this one-day event is £20 / €25 per person, and you must pre-register, by contacting Bernie Mc Glinchey on 028 37 521900, or email at bmcglinchey@ulster.gaa.ie

The deadline for registration is: Monday 19th January at 4.00pm.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

This might be of interest also to some people ...

thebandit

Quote from: JMohan on January 07, 2009, 02:36:37 PM

I'll probably head to this. I know Big Joe, Niall Moyna and Paudie Butler are going. I wonder is Tony Scullion speaking?

boojangles

Quote from: thebandit on January 07, 2009, 10:30:04 PM

I'll probably head to this. I know Big Joe, Niall Moyna and Paudie Butler are going. I wonder is Tony Scullion speaking?
Where is this one on?Same place ?

thebandit

No, its in the Glenavon Hotel in Cookstown.

Zulu

Quote from: JMohan on January 07, 2009, 02:32:44 PM
ARMAGH THURS 29TH JANUARY

Training for GAA Players

Title: Making Athletes More Explosive and International Rules Training Plan

Venue: Ardmore Recreation Centre

Time: 7.00pm – 10.00pm

Facilitator: Mike McGurn

Mike has a wealth of experience working with top class athletes on their strength & conditioning. The former Ireland Rugby guru, now with Welsh side Ospreys, has enjoyed huge success in rugby league with the St. Helens team which won the treble of Challenge Cup, Super League and the World Cup Championship in 2001. Mike more recently help prepare the Irish Team for the International Australian Rules. He has also worked as a consultant for Leeds United, Everton, and numerous senior County GAA teams.

Course Content: This practical session will explore the training methods to be used to make the individual/team more explosive therefore being adequately prepared for peak performance.

Relevancy: Suitable for coaches involved in training and preparation of teams/individuals who train more than 3 hours per week.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Just saw that and following the preseason thread I thought I'd raise it for the members in the Northern half of the country - looks interesting ....

I'll try and go to this as I'd be interested to hear his thoughts or opinions on the International Rules and the differences between Rugby, GAA, AFL and International Rules

How much is it to go to this and can you go if your from the South? Also where is the Ardmore Recreation Centre as I won't be going by car so can I get there by train or bus?

I presume anyone can go to the 2009 Ulster Coaching Conference, which I'll also probably attend if I know where it's on.

EDIT:Glenavon Hotel in Cookstown -  Is that accessible by train or bus?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Zulu on January 07, 2009, 10:39:33 PM
EDIT:Glenavon Hotel in Cookstown -  Is that accessible by train or bus?

The Gleanavon's fairly close to the centre of Cookstown Zulu, and you can get a bus from Bus Áras to Monaghan, and change there, but it looks like you could have an hour or so's wait in Monaghan.

Edit: Glenavon Location on Map (Drum Road)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zulu

Cheers FoSB, you wouldn't know where Ardmore Rec center is by any chance?

Fear ón Srath Bán

I'm not familiar with it myself, but it looks to be a taxi-ride from Armagh city centre (Ballinahonemore Road): Ardmore Location on Map
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

JMohan

Quote from: thebandit on January 07, 2009, 10:30:04 PM

It's always good to hear practical stuff and better to hear from guys who have won stuff
That's why Scullion is interesting and of course big Joe too - real experience from winners
I've heard Moyna speak and while he talks a good game he comes across as a bit of a teacher and a bit removed from the dirt of the gym or the real world of games

Sorry I stand corrected - he trained DCU ... then again when you look at their star studded team and the dreadful record they've had in recent years you would wonder.

Big Joe is very interesting though, I know he never did the training but it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the changes in the game over the past 10 years from Cross to Armagh and now.
Is Fergal McCann speaking anywhere?
I'd go to listen to him.

Who is doing the training for Errigal Ciaran this year for Peter?

INDIANA

Two points J Mohan.

Moyna helped train vincents last year and over the last 2 years developed all the strength and conditioning programmes for them. In fairness the way they overpowered cross should be a testament to that.
He didn't train DCU since their sigerson win , some internal political wranglings within the college meant he wasn't involved in any capacity last year, but i believe he is involved this year but I'm open to correction on that.
I know the vincents players to a man say he's top class. He's dublin's strength and conditioner this year so it will be interesting to see , but I don't think dublin really need any advancement in that area, its more the skills end we fall down.

JMohan

Sorry - fogot about the Vincents thing - though I wasn't sure how much input he had. I'm not sure 'over powered' Cross would eb a term I'd use, but regardless they played a far smarter game and had a very good game plan for them.
It must be dissappointing that he wasn't involved in the DCU training - there is so much talent there it's embarrassing.

The Dublin thing will be inetresting

And Yes I strongly agree with you that skill is the biggest issue - well in fcat I think it's finding the balance rather than focusing too much on one area or the other... I have heard alot of good things about Mickey though - so the future could be bright.

The GAA

He trained Scotstown this year. not much overpowering going on there either...

armagh leg-end

Quote from: Zulu on January 07, 2009, 11:55:08 PM
Cheers FoSB, you wouldn't know where Ardmore Rec center is by any chance?

Ardmore is about a mile from armagh city centre! its beside where armagh city F.C is based. if you get to the bus depot in armagh you would need to get a taxi from there as it is a bit of a walk all up hill!!

if you by car, you take the newry road out of armagh, and turn left just after the bapist church. theres a sign there anyway. you then take the next right go up the hill and you'll see it from there.
Ard Mhacha Abu

JMohan

Quote from: The GAA on January 08, 2009, 02:21:46 PM

He trained Scotstown this year. not much overpowering going on there either...

Moyna? Hardly