Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJ2017

6th Sept - The AFL Competition Committee is meeting next week with a view to introducing fixed formations at the restart after a score
in the next season, this season had the lowest scoring points per game in 50 years and congestion has been an increasing issue
for the game.

"With defensive strategies improved, data has shown the effect congestion has on the ability of players to demonstrate their skills and move the ball from end to end"

"Introduction of the six-six-six starting position at centre bounces could see the first phase of play after a centre bounce being more open with forwards and defenders engaging in one-on-one battles."

May have some merit in Gaelic Football but would need another referee to police in my opinion.

heres a link to the full article
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-competition-committee-to-look-at-6-6-6-next-week-20180906-p50224.html

Cunny funt - great video of Mayo v Dublin pulldowns you posted to illustrate a need to change the rules.
Andy Moran favours a 50 metre style penalty to be introduced for it.
http://www.the42.ie/andy-moran-50-yard-penalty-call-3925202-Mar2018/

TheGreatest

Quote from: sid waddell on September 10, 2018, 02:51:38 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 10, 2018, 02:43:40 PM
Players wear vests weighed down with lead.

Slow them down. Make them use their craft and guile, make the ball do the work. You'll see a better game then.
Already been suggested.

Quote from: sid waddell on July 20, 2018, 11:52:55 AM
Why not make Gaelic football like horse racing and introduce a weight handicap system?

Each player on the better teams would be forced to carry a specially weighted vest to slow them down.

Division 4 teams would carry no weight.

Division 3 teams would carry a weight of 1kg.

Division 2 teams would carry a weight of 2 kg.

Dicision 1 teams would carry 4kg.

Then, to really even things out, Dublin players would each have to carry 10kg.

It works in horse racing, so why not in Gaelic football?!

I presume that was a joke.

I see everyone mentioning Dublin as a comparison for new rules to be implemented. I believe you need to look elsewhere and use other

Michael Murphy said on the Sunday game that in Donegal they are trying to play like Dublin , playing more attacking football, it showed the last couple of years.

Dublin changing the game for the better I believe, teams now know that they have to score over 20 points/scores to beat the best and that's what they are training at now. The Dark ages are over.

MoChara

If you receive the ball from a handpass, you can only kick it, along with enforcing the carrying rule this will put a bit of extra pressure on the player on the ball without making wholesale changes to the game.

Jinxy

Quote from: CJ2017 on September 11, 2018, 02:17:29 AM
6th Sept - The AFL Competition Committee is meeting next week with a view to introducing fixed formations at the restart after a score
in the next season, this season had the lowest scoring points per game in 50 years and congestion has been an increasing issue
for the game.

"With defensive strategies improved, data has shown the effect congestion has on the ability of players to demonstrate their skills and move the ball from end to end"

"Introduction of the six-six-six starting position at centre bounces could see the first phase of play after a centre bounce being more open with forwards and defenders engaging in one-on-one battles."

May have some merit in Gaelic Football but would need another referee to police in my opinion.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-competition-committee-to-look-at-6-6-6-next-week-20180906-p50224.html

Cunny funt - great video of Mayo v Dublin pulldowns you posted to illustrate a need to change the rules.

It's funny the way someone involved in a professional sport can recognise that this is a problem, while anyone saying the same in a GAA context is often characterised as a misty-eyed traditionalist.
Most team sports, to a greater or lesser extent, need to be protected from coaches.
Coaches are there to win, they are not there to look after the health of the sport.
Checks & balances are required.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ha ha derry

The ball must be played forward except inside the attacking 20m line. Simple.

Orchard park

Quote from: Jinxy on September 11, 2018, 09:04:36 AM
Quote from: CJ2017 on September 11, 2018, 02:17:29 AM
for the game.

It's funny the way someone involved in a professional sport can recognise that this is a problem, while anyone saying the same in a GAA context is often characterised as a misty-eyed traditionalist.
Most team sports, to a greater or lesser extent, need to be protected from coaches.
Coaches are there to win, they are not there to look after the health of the sport.
Checks & balances are required.

Most coaches now set out nt to lose  within the loose application of poorly defined rules

kerryforsam2018

I actually don't think we need many rule changes, people are just having a discussion. It's allowed and it's not all about Dublin.

Usually when people get really defensive about everything they have something to hide or something they feel guilty about. What do the Dubs feel guilty about?

Itchy

I think an offensive mark would help. For example a player who fields the ball clean inside the opposition 20m line should get a free in. I think the not allowed move backwards inside the opposition half won't work, it will actually make it more defensive. For example if you knew the opposition couldnt go backwards after crossing into your half, wouldnt you have all your players sit deep until they crossed the line and then press out as soon as they did cross the line? It might be interesting but its not what I would consider Football.

One thing that is worth considering is going to 13 a side. More space means harder to have a mass defense.

Jinxy

Quote from: Itchy on September 12, 2018, 01:30:47 PM
I think an offensive mark would help. For example a player who fields the ball clean inside the opposition 20m line should get a free in. I think the not allowed move backwards inside the opposition half won't work, it will actually make it more defensive. For example if you knew the opposition couldnt go backwards after crossing into your half, wouldnt you have all your players sit deep until they crossed the line and then press out as soon as they did cross the line? It might be interesting but its not what I would consider Football.

One thing that is worth considering is going to 13 a side. More space means harder to have a mass defense.

Agreed.

sid waddell

Quote from: Itchy on September 12, 2018, 01:30:47 PM

An offensive mark would totally change the character of the game for the worse. It would largely kill off points from play as we know them. No thanks.

Quote from: Itchy on September 12, 2018, 01:30:47 PMOne thing that is worth considering is going to 13 a side. More space means harder to have a mass defense.
Would mean more focus on fitness and less on skill. No thanks.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: sid waddell on September 12, 2018, 02:17:01 PM

An offensive mark would totally change the character of the game for the worse. It would largely kill off points from play as we know them. No thanks.

Quote from: Itchy on September 12, 2018, 01:30:47 PMOne thing that is worth considering is going to 13 a side. More space means harder to have a mass defense.

Arguably the way the game has gone since 2010. 

sid waddell

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 12, 2018, 02:32:11 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 12, 2018, 02:17:01 PM

Arguably the way the game has gone since 2010.

All field games have always been increasing their focus on fitness and physicality. That's the natural human drive to improve.

But the 15 a side game strikes the right balance between fitness and physicality and skill.

By removing four of the 30 players from the pitch, you increase not just the space, but the amount of space players have to cover, thus exponentially increasing the focus on fitness and physicality at the expense of skill.

general_lee

How about not changing anything? These rules are stupid and half the time aren't implemented. I've played senior football for 14+ years and does everyone on the field wear a gumshield? No. Do I see black cards being issued correctly, if at all? No. Has the mark done anything to encourage more high fielding? No.

I can safely say I dread the these conversations, they only come about because one of the best teams of all time is at their peak or because slaughtneil and magherafelt playing puke football for about a minute has just went viral.

Jinxy

Lads, the one major change that is easy to implement and doesn't impose a significant additional demand on our utterly hapless officials is the restart.
The thought of refs having to count hand-passes...

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Jinxy on September 12, 2018, 02:51:02 PM
Lads, the one major change that is easy to implement and doesn't impose a significant additional demand on our utterly hapless officials is the restart.
The thought of refs having to count hand-passes...
We already trust (well the powers that be do anyway) them to count a player's steps so counting three handpasses shouldn't be that bad.