Who will follow Donegal?

Started by irunthev, August 30, 2011, 09:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

Any thoughts on other county teams that are likely to look at the Donegal model and decide that the defensive game is their best way forward?

I guess you're looking at teams that have two decent forwards and an abundance of hard working and capable players, as well of course as a manager who understands how the system works and is able to convey that message to the players.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: irunthev on August 30, 2011, 09:13:13 AM
Any thoughts on other county teams that are likely to look at the Donegal model and decide that the defensive game is their best way forward?

I guess you're looking at teams that have two decent forwards and an abundance of hard working and capable players, as well of course as a manager who understands how the system works and is able to convey that message to the players.

Kildare are nearly there so I would expect them to do it.

Denn Forever

Not Cavan as we are football purists.  And it looks like a lot of work.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ExcellentDriver

Didn't Tyrone and Armagh gain success with similar tactics?

What beat Tyrone this Year was Mickey Harte's Love Affair with the 1998 Minor Team. Most of them really should have retired last Year. I can't see Snout, Gormley, Jordan, etc going for much longer.

Perhaps Dooher can stay as a Coach/Trainer.
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

AZOffaly

Offaly are going to pick 1 goalie, 13 defenders and Niall McNamee. We aim to win every game 1-2 to 0-0. Scorers, Niall McNammee (1-1, 1 pen), Ciaran McManus (0-1, 0-1 from an 80yd free)

armaghniac

QuoteDidn't Tyrone and Armagh gain success with similar tactics?

This is simplistic. Of course winning teams had decent defences, if you concede a bagful it is hard to win an AI. But they also had strategies to attack, people talked about Armagh's diagonal ball while Tyrone were noted for breaking at speed and pushing into attack mode.
If you want a comparison, in 2002 the semi final score was Armagh 1-14 Dublin 1-13 and nobody complained about the entertainment value of the game.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 30, 2011, 11:28:38 AM
Offaly are going to pick 1 goalie, 13 defenders and Niall McNamee. We aim to win every game 1-2 to 0-0. Scorers, Niall McNammee (1-1, 1 pen), Ciaran McManus (0-1, 0-1 from an 80yd free)

Big Ciaran won't be playing, sure is he not due to hang his boots up :P

AZOffaly

This is the future. How will the programmes cope?

1. Goalkeeper

2. Near Goal Supplementary Sweeper
3. Extreme Right Full Back                    5. Full Back                                                      7. Extreme Left Full Back
4. Precautionary Right Full Back.                                                                                 8. Precautionary Left Full Back
                                                        6. Roaming Frontal Sweeper                               

9. Three Quarter Right Back                10. Three Quarter Center Back                           11.Three Quarter Left Back

12. Right Half Back                                                                                                   13. Left Half Back

14. Supplementary Half Back/Playmaker.

15. Forward

irunthev

What about a team like Galway? Does anyone think that whoever the new manager is might be tempted in a bid to get themselves up and running again? I know it is viewed as a very Ulster tactic and that mightn't sit too well with some supporters, but again, if you are sitting in an All Ireland semi-final in August, principles tend to be set aside even by the die-hards.

AZOffaly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 30, 2011, 11:43:07 AM

He'll play as my 'Three Quarter Centre Back' and take all long range frees.

sheamy

The roaming frontal sweeper position...catch the ball...solo 15 metres....hand pass sideways....run back again...repeat. Mark McHugh has mastered it.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 30, 2011, 11:52:27 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 30, 2011, 11:43:07 AM

He'll play as my 'Three Quarter Centre Back' and take all long range frees.

Would that be similar to the quarter back role that has somehow morphed it's way into football?  "Marty Clarke is excelling in his quarter back role, spraying the passes around!" Annoys the hell of me >:(

boojangles

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 30, 2011, 11:49:50 AM
This is the future. How will the programmes cope?

1. Goalkeeper

2. Near Goal Supplementary Sweeper
3. Extreme Right Full Back                    5. Full Back                                                      7. Extreme Left Full Back
4. Precautionary Right Full Back.                                                                                 8. Precautionary Left Full Back
                                                        6. Roaming Frontal Sweeper                               

9. Three Quarter Right Back                10. Three Quarter Center Back                           11.Three Quarter Left Back

12. Right Half Back                                                                                                   13. Left Half Back

14. Supplementary Half Back/Playmaker.

15. Forward

Brilliant.

skeog

i for one wont be following that dung football again

muppet

Mayo plan to play next year with no forwards. We will have every single one of our players in our own half all of the time.

We will move the ball quickly using 365 hand-passes up to midfield where Conor Mort will receive it and will try to draw a foul. We will then bring up Hennelly who will score from the resulting frees at midfield. He will be the furthest Mayo player up the field and when he hits his frees he will turn, without even looking after it, and sprint back to join the other 3 goalkeepers.

All Mayo supporters will sit around the half which we will be playing in which means at half time all supporters will have to get up and walk around the ground to sit in the other end for the second half. Most of us could do with the exercise anyways.
MWWSI 2017