New All Ireland Championship Format

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, May 04, 2007, 09:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2007, 02:20:42 PM
The only change that should be considered for the Championship is to revert back to the old style, straight knockout.

Why oh why is the continual need for change such a major part of the GAA psyche?

I enjoy our games the way they are. Am I alone like that?

I agree with you totally Wobbler, why the fcuk do people see the need to change what is a winning format (certainly tweek a few things but the concept as it stands is sound!) are these people sooooo bored that they waste their time thinking of ways to fix something that isn't broken...  ::)
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on May 05, 2007, 02:49:51 PM
thejuice

You should leave Westmeath out of Connacht and put Donegal in there instead but be better for a stronger Western Championship. Also Westmeath despite its name is far from West, when I travel to Dublin when I get pass Mullingar on the bypass I consider myself nearly there. Sure for a West-Mayoman Roscommon is pretty far East.

Just you leave Donegal where it is, thank you very much!!  ;)
Tbc....

Tyrone Dreamer

Its ok to say things arent broken in the leinster and ulster championships. Both these provinces produce a fair number of decent games and bring out the big crowds. The reason I think change might be neccesary is because the munster championship seems to be dying on its feet. Few decent matches with low turnouts. Connacht also doesnt produce enough decent matches with 2 few teams. The system I proposed would ensure that most counties would have something meaningful to aim towards winning and still keep the all quarter finals up which has become the most exciting bit of the championship. It would also reduce the length of the county season which is currently 9 months down to 4 or 5 and take away the shadow boxing of the league whilst allowing the top counties to meet on a regualar basis. Its just something which could be worth considering in the near future. A condensed county season with more counties clashing on a regular basis, whike more time free for the clubs. The only thing is that some counties mightnt be happy that they wouldnt be competing for sam (which they realistically arent competing for anyway but if they improved could be back in the running the next year)

Bud Wiser

If the wimmins clock had been the rule today the AIF U21 Final would have been a draw.  Instead the Peoples Rebublic did a coup in the first minute of overtime and avoided a replay and a year each working as miners.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on May 05, 2007, 08:41:56 PM
Its ok to say things arent broken in the leinster and ulster championships. Both these provinces produce a fair number of decent games and bring out the big crowds. The reason I think change might be neccesary is because the munster championship seems to be dying on its feet. Few decent matches with low turnouts. Connacht also doesnt produce enough decent matches with 2 few teams. The system I proposed would ensure that most counties would have something meaningful to aim towards winning and still keep the all quarter finals up which has become the most exciting bit of the championship. It would also reduce the length of the county season which is currently 9 months down to 4 or 5 and take away the shadow boxing of the league whilst allowing the top counties to meet on a regualar basis. Its just something which could be worth considering in the near future. A condensed county season with more counties clashing on a regular basis, whike more time free for the clubs. The only thing is that some counties mightnt be happy that they wouldnt be competing for sam (which they realistically arent competing for anyway but if they improved could be back in the running the next year)

Tyrone Dreamer - I suppose it never crossed your mind that the reason the crowds at Munster matches arent that high could have something to do with the fact that they are the only province that has a proper hurling championship and the crowds go to those matches????
To my mind all counties should be able to compete for Sam - otherwise why don't counties only allow their top 4/5 teams compete in teh club championships if they want to apply the same rules?????

Anyway what is to stop club matches during teh summer anyway??? Just get on an play....

More damaging in my mind is the poor football, lack of skills, increased cyniscism, cheating, diving etc....and a total lack of emphasis on attacking skillfull football ahead of defence minded tactics....

Fishead_Sam

Western Championship        Eastern Championship       Northern Championship        Southern Championship
(Meave or Grannuaille Cup)  (Fionn McCumhaill Cup)     (Cuchullian or Setanta Cup)   (Brian Boru Cup)

Mayo                                 Dublin                            Tyrone                                Kerry
Galway                              Meath                            Armagh                               Cork
Donegal                             Kildare                           Derry                                   Laois
Roscommon                       Longford                        Antrim                                 Waterford
Leitrim                               Westmeath                   Cavan                                   Wexford
Clare                                 Carlow                           Monaghan                            Tipperary
London                             Wicklow                         Down                                   New York
Sligo                                  Kilkenny                         Louth                                  Limerick
                                        Offaly                            Fermanagh

Hurling

Southern Championship                 National Championship
Cork                                           Kilkenny
Waterford                                   Galway
Tipperary                                    Wexford
Limerick                                      Dublin
Clare                                          Offaly
                                                 Laois
                                                 Antrim
                                                 Down

Just a thought on how to even things out a little

Gnevin

Once again its talk of whole sale changes. Whats wrong with the current system ? Dublin with the biggest or one of the biggest club championship manages to play it thru the summer and same with the league.  County boards need to change not the All Ireland system .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Fisheadsam I hope someone puts you in a basket and boils or poaches you!!! If you think that we should travel to Clare or anywhere else in Connacht, catch yourself on!!! Donegal is an ULSTER county and will always remain so! Plank!
Tbc....

johnpower

what is wrong with re-plays ?.90% + of intercounty players time is taken up training doing weigths etc . Central council must insist county  Boards run their club championships  through out the summer months regardless of how the senior and minor teams are doing . Some counties manange this while others stop all club activity . I agree with Dubs for Sam the quality of football is not improving with increased levels of training and preparation . The qualifier system has its flaws but for me the best teams have still won the All Ireland each year  .Gaoth Dobhair after Ballybofey you may be thank full of the qualifiers .The old system  did not provide great sucess for Donegal. What would you consider success this year winning Ulster or getting to the last 4 .

Fionntamhnach

To me the current format for the SFC isn't sustainable in the long term. It might be a big fat goose for the GAA right now but this is being done to the detriment of club football. No other sporting organisation in Ireland arranges its top tier fixtures so haphazardly. Structured tiers for intercounty championships work grand for hurling and ladies football is introducing them this year. What's the problem for it in mens football?

The major problem however is that when change is mooted its often preferred to make a few small bolt-ons and tweaks rather than being brave and go for something radical and then sticking to it (with maybe one or two minor adjustments).

Rossfan

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 07, 2007, 12:09:02 PM
Structured tiers for intercounty championships work grand for hurling and ladies football is introducing them this year. What's the problem for it in mens football?

Agree with Fionn on that comment. Also all Counties have 3 grades of Club Championships -Senior/Inter/Junior.
Realistically there should be 3 tiers/levels or whatever you want to call it of All Ireland Championship - Top 12 or 16,next 8/12 and the rest. The system could be organised on Groups of 4 with gaps between games to allow players time for club games. With a restricted NFL it would be possible to fit in the Provincials which could be used as qualifers for the various tiers.
The Tier 2 and 3 Finals could be a double header in Croke Park with no other Senior Fixtures that day and have all the hype etc.
As for Club fixtures -at present County teams play an average about 13 competitive games a year but the players are training about 100?150? times and Managers are dictating to Co Boards when they can play their Club Championships.This usually means whenever the County team is out of the Championship which means that important club games are being played at all sorts of ridiculous times e.g Tuesday nights in October or with a Semi Final and Final within a few days etc.
More sensible training regimes are needed for County players not the present get as much "expenses" for the Manager systems of quantity sessions.We had the NFL games before Christmas done away with because players needed rest and what happened ? Training began in early October (Or August with the Commandant Maughan) so players get no rest -except from playing games- which shopuld be the whole point in the first place - not bloody non stop training.
If it were non stop practising skills like catching/kicking/tackling etc it might have some merit but all it's doing is turning out running/handpassing/athletes who cant kick a ball to save their lives.
Anyway that's enough of a rant for today
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: johnpower on May 07, 2007, 11:41:44 AM
what is wrong with re-plays ?.90% + of intercounty players time is taken up training doing weigths etc . Central council must insist county  Boards run their club championships  through out the summer months regardless of how the senior and minor teams are doing . Some counties manange this while others stop all club activity . I agree with Dubs for Sam the quality of football is not improving with increased levels of training and preparation . The qualifier system has its flaws but for me the best teams have still won the All Ireland each year  .Gaoth Dobhair after Ballybofey you may be thank full of the qualifiers .The old system  did not provide great sucess for Donegal. What would you consider success this year winning Ulster or getting to the last 4 .

Johnpower
I'm totally in favour of the backdoor system, it at least gives fans two chances to watch their teams in the championship, also for the players, at least two games, with a bit of luck, a wee run.

I'd love us to win thte Anglo-Celt, and still go on for Sam!  ;)
Tbc....

Fishead_Sam

Gaoth Dobhair Abu again it was dajuice from Meath who made the suggestion I dont want ye in Connacht at all, he was talking about a new possible format.

Jaz Gaoth Dobhair Im a proud Connachtman and really don't want other counties in here at all, dont mind London & New York as most of those people emmigrated from Connacht anyways. Just go build a wall around old Donegal and go live on a Chicken Ranch for all I care.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on May 07, 2007, 06:43:09 PM
Gaoth Dobhair Abu again it was dajuice from Meath who made the suggestion I dont want ye in Connacht at all, he was talking about a new possible format.

Jaz Gaoth Dobhair Im a proud Connachtman and really don't want other counties in here at all, dont mind London & New York as most of those people emmigrated from Connacht anyways. Just go build a wall around old Donegal and go live on a Chicken Ranch for all I care.

Fair enough FHS.  ;)
Tbc....