Started by passedit, June 17, 2008, 10:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7456532.stm

Page last updated at 16:39 GMT, Monday, 16 June 2008 17:39 UK
E-mail this to a friend    Printable version
France send home U20 brawl trio

Spotlight: Brawl marrs Wales U20 win

France Under-20s have sent home three players from the Junior World Championships after Saturday's defeat to Wales ended in a mass brawl.

Team manager Philippe Sella, the legendary French centre, made the decision to banish the trio.

Flanker Jeremie Braille, replacement prop Rabah Slimeni and winger Djibrill Camara have been sent home following the incident at the Liberty Stadium.

Camara became involved in the incident after being suspended for the game.

The International Rugby Board is conducting an investigation into the incident and are due to announce their findings ahead of Wednesday's semi-finals in which Wales face New Zealand.

Leigh Halfpenny's try deep into overtime sealed an unlikely win, which was rapidly followed by ugly post-match scenes.

Punches were thrown from both sides and Slimani was allegedly seen to kick out.

606: DEBATE
"The French were bad losers and the Welsh were bad winners"

lamlee
Wales won the match 23-19 after coming back from 19-9 down with three minutes remaining.
Don't Panic

Dinny Breen

Seemingly there are heavy suspensions on the way to both teams, kind of does away with the myth you get away with more in rugby.

It was a nasty enough brawl though, the referee literally robbed France, at one stage you could hear on the audio the referee saying there was 3 and 1/2 minutes left but he proceeded to play another 8 minutes enough to allow Wales score the winning try. The French were furious but that's no excuse, I wouldn't mind they even lost the brawl. The BBC have taken the brawl down of Youtube.
#newbridgeornowhere

passedit

Its still on the link above Dinny. I loved the fact that the three french boys were sent home. Surely that's where the rest of them are headed anyway. some of the welsh boyos have a strong case to answer as well i'd say.
Don't Panic

Dinny Breen

So it is  :-[

They'll still play one more game to decide 5th or 6th place, their final ranking affects the seedings for the tournament next year.
#newbridgeornowhere

screenexile

Yeah just has a look at it there... dodgy enough stuff. It seems as if a few French players just lost the plot completely! And as for U-20 some of those lads are HUGE!

rosnarun

Quote from: screenexile on June 17, 2008, 11:27:00 AM
Yeah just has a look at it there... dodgy enough stuff. It seems as if a few French players just lost the plot completely! And as for U-20 some of those lads are HUGE!
and most of the poor lads have ashma. you have to admire their fortitude
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thejuice

might be showing my colours here but I didnt think that was that bad. (from the BBC footage anyway) Its wrong to fight and players deserve punishment. But wouldnt call it a "mass" brawl, there were more lads holding fellow players back. only a handful throwing digs.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

rrhf

Kerry training session without the books. 

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: thejuice on June 17, 2008, 12:07:48 PM
might be showing my colours here but I didnt think that was that bad. (from the BBC footage anyway) Its wrong to fight and players deserve punishment. But wouldnt call it a "mass" brawl, there were more lads holding fellow players back. only a handful throwing digs.

Couldn't agree more.  Unless as you rightly say, the BBC footage has been edited.  Didn't see any boots flying in and it only lasted 10 maybe 15seconds at most.
In your Endo!

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Dinny Breen

For those who think the GAA are harsh how about the IRB

Both teams £50,000 fine, (suspendend for 2 years)
Both teams will also receive 3 point deductions at 20009 and 2010 JWC and JWRugby Trophy tournamments

Camara and Braille 9 week bans
Slimani 13 weeks (All France)

Jevons 3 weeks (Wales)
#newbridgeornowhere

baoithe

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 17, 2008, 01:38:57 PM
For those who think the GAA are harsh how about the IRB

Both teams £50,000 fine, (suspendend for 2 years)
Both teams will also receive 3 point deductions at 20009 and 2010 JWC and JWRugby Trophy tournamments

Camara and Braille 9 week bans
Slimani 13 weeks (All France)

Jevons 3 weeks (Wales)

Thats a bit harsh on the young fellas of circa 18,000 years time.