Hurling article on slate.com

Started by Eamonnca1, April 13, 2011, 10:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Mainly focusses on the helmet issue. Slate has a big readership, my hurling movie is going to get a lot of hits from this:

QuoteThe Craziest Men in Sports
In hurling, the ball moves 100 miles per hour. So why don't goalkeepers want to wear facemasks?
By Loren BerlinPosted Wednesday, April 13, 2011, at 6:45 AM ET

Imagine you're sprinting down a 160-yard field. As you run, you balance a tiny ball—small as a hockey puck, hard as a baseball—on the end of your stick, as in lacrosse. Except where the lacrosse stick has a woven pocket, your stick has a flat, wooden blade, and where lacrosse requires protective gear you wear neither pads nor gloves. Now imagine that your opponents are waving these same axe-like cudgels. They are coming at you from all sides, hoping to hook you from behind or block you from the front. You race down the gigantic field while considering your options. You could pass to a teammate, either with a slap of the bare hand or with a kick. No one is open, though, so you prepare to take a shot—never mind that you're still 100 yards out from the goal. You lean back and swing hard, like a baseball player at bat, feeling the satisfying reverb in your arms as you connect with the ball.

Continued...

My favourite comment:

Quote"In 1997, goalkeeper Joe Quaid shattered one testicle..." 

Well, now he can truthfully tell people that he busted a nut while thousands watched.

Puckoon

From Wiki on Joe Quaid

"His right testicle exploded on impact while half of the other testicle had to be removed".

Christ almighty. That's painful reading.

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 13, 2011, 10:42:29 PM

Quote"In 1997, goalkeeper Joe Quaid shattered one testicle..." 

Well, now he can truthfully tell people that he busted a nut while thousands watched.

:D :o

AZOffaly

I think articles like these actually harm your chances of increasing the playing base in the US Eamonn. I think you should write to Slate and explain to them the real qualities of hurling, the skills, the speed, the grace and the high scoring. Even post a link to your fine video, as that is much more about what hurling is really about.

I've found that a lot of Americans, when they stumble across hurling, are fascinated by the 'danger', even though I would contend there are less serious injuries from hurling than from Gaelic football. They focus on the bravery of the players with the 'sticks' flying, and the game itself becomes secondary, at least at a superficial level.

When you sit down with them and explain what's going on, and even get them to try it out on their own with a hurl and sliothar, they then start to appreciate the real game itself.

I read this article and thought 'what parent/child in their right minds would play the game that was just described there?'. The courage of the players is obviously a facet of the game, but I think the ability to pick a ball up, solo at speed, hit on the run straight off the stick, score from 80 yards out etc etc are all more emblematic of hurling than a poor goalie losing a testicle.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2011, 09:22:46 AM
I think articles like these actually harm your chances of increasing the playing base in the US Eamonn. I think you should write to Slate and explain to them the real qualities of hurling, the skills, the speed, the grace and the high scoring. Even post a link to your fine video, as that is much more about what hurling is really about.

I've found that a lot of Americans, when they stumble across hurling, are fascinated by the 'danger', even though I would contend there are less serious injuries from hurling than from Gaelic football. They focus on the bravery of the players with the 'sticks' flying, and the game itself becomes secondary, at least at a superficial level.

When you sit down with them and explain what's going on, and even get them to try it out on their own with a hurl and sliothar, they then start to appreciate the real game itself.

I read this article and thought 'what parent/child in their right minds would play the game that was just described there?'. The courage of the players is obviously a facet of the game, but I think the ability to pick a ball up, solo at speed, hit on the run straight off the stick, score from 80 yards out etc etc are all more emblematic of hurling than a poor goalie losing a testicle.

Couldn't agree more.

"Axe-like cudgels"?

Puckoon

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2011, 09:22:46 AM

Would you have the "balls" to tell him to his face that he was a poor goalie? Would it be a bigger deal if it was a better goalie?

You're a tough critic - I'll give you that.

imtommygunn

AZOffaly

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 14, 2011, 08:43:31 PM
poor = unfortunate...
He knew what I meant, he's just being smart :D

Although half of Limerick would have had a few choice words to say to him about his rapid fire puckouts in the last few minutes in 1994.

Eamonnca1

Well I posted a link to the video in the comments and got 127 hits from it, but from people searching for hurling on google and the youtube search engine I got another 2000. Not bad.

Yup, the article might do a bit of harm, but then ice hockey is just as dangerous and it seems to have a loyal following. The "badass" danger element is an attraction to some people, but I can see how it would put parents off. I always thought that you could argue that there are more injuries in soccer than in hurling and you could use that as your defence.  Looks like it'll need a closer look.