Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trailer on August 27, 2023, 08:41:33 AM
Convicted murderer Thomas McCabe on the run for the second time https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66620748

Convicted murdered on the run for the second having absconded before. But we let him out on day release again after recapturing him. I've said it before and I'll say it again. NICS is full of stupid c***ts.
Why is/was he still locked up for a murder in 1990?

nrico2006

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 27, 2023, 10:04:36 AM
Convicted murderer Thomas McCabe on the run for the second time https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66620748

Convicted murdered on the run for the second having absconded before. But we let him out on day release again after recapturing him. I've said it before and I'll say it again. NICS is full of stupid c***ts.
That's the way it should be, as in it's sickening to constantly see murderers released. They should never be freed if they've intentionally killed.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AustinPowers

Was his  nickname 'Snake' by any chance?

Because you're    obviously referring  to an episode of the    Simpsons , and not  reality.

David McKeown

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 27, 2023, 10:08:03 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 27, 2023, 10:04:36 AM

That's the way it should be, as in it's sickening to constantly see murderers released. They should never be freed if they've intentionally killed.

I'm going to disagree here. Indefinite lock up particularly mandatory indefinite lock up serves no practical purpose. By all means have lengthy tariffs but indefinite lock ups have no deterrent effect, make prisons far harder to maintain are effectively cruel and unusual.

Intentional killing is such a wide area as well. It covers everything from horrendous murders to mercy killings and everything in between. I'm not sure if you meant intentional killing as opposed to murder but if you have then intentional killing would be very hard to prove. For murder you don't have to prove an intention to kill. For attempted murder strangely you do and it's one of the hardest crimes to prove that we have. So I don't agree that people should ever be locked up and the key thrown away.

I do accept that getting released from a life sentence should be very difficult and very onerous and it most certainly is however that's not often well reported.

Whole life tarrifs are also a bit misleading. They don't mean people won't get out again they just mean they don't have an automatic right to apply. The continued need for detention still has to be reviewed periodically by the Secretary of State.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Wildweasel74

And if he goes out and kills someone on day release?. The law should be there to protect normal people, not worry about the welfare of dangerous ones.

David McKeown

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 27, 2023, 11:19:58 AM
And if he goes out and kills someone on day release?. The law should be there to protect normal people, not worry about the welfare of dangerous ones.

I'm not worried about the welfare of dangerous prisoners, those who remain a danger shouldn't get out so I don't see what the relevance is. I don't even advocate releasing life sentence prisoners easily let alone automatically. My problem is refusing to release any because one may kill someone. Life licence isn't and shouldn't be guaranteed to any prisoner. Unaccompanied Temporary Release or Day release as you put it isn't even guaranteed to any prisoner. It's a very lengthy process it comes after considerable risk reduction work in prison, after multiple experts from a wide variety of disciplines look at your case after accompanied temporary release and after prisoners have demonstrated their risk is manageable. Mistakes will happen and people will abscond but the alternative is no better.

Tony Baloney

Back to my original question - why is he still on the run 33 years after the offence when ordinarily he'd probably have been released after about 16-20 years.

David McKeown

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 27, 2023, 12:13:39 PM
Back to my original question - why is he still on the run 33 years after the offence when ordinarily he'd probably have been released after about 16-20 years.

He wouldn't have ordinarily been released. Unless he was a terrorist prisoner he would have to satisfy the life sentence review commissioners or now Parole Commissioners that he met the test for release. Even then if he secured release he'd remain on life licence and subject to recall should his risk of serious harm become unmanageable. So I imagine he's either neither satisfied the Commissioners or he's previously been recalled.

Most life sentence prisoners spend considerably longer than their tariff in custody

clarshack

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

quit yo jibbajabba

Think the mother's on hunger strike now....

AustinPowers

Should  Gary Neville  expect a  letter   from Paul Scholes's solicitor now?

Blowitupref

Not sure if this was already posted up here already.   Ignacio Quereda was the Spanish Women's football coach for 27 years and after he stepped down Spain's female football players accused former national team of abuse and homophobia in a documentary, 'Breaking the Silence'.

When he was at it carry on in public viewing what was he at behind the scenes?

https://twitter.com/SiPeroNo1/status/1694797957860610321
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose