Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leenie

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 16, 2016, 12:44:04 PM
It is pretty full on and seems a bit desperate. Look how great we are! But in fairness it IS a good news story. They are having a great time, and they seem to be well got by the locals and by fans of other teams. Sadly, what would seem to be normal can look exceptional in a backdrop of riot police, Russian heavies, and little Englanders, arms outstretched, chanting 'Stand up if you hate the french'.

They are not doing any harm, and maybe are even enhancing our reputation as a shower who like a drink and a singsong. It's not the worst thing in the world.
Quote from: muppet on June 16, 2016, 01:41:37 PM
Quote from: Rudi on June 16, 2016, 12:40:43 PM
News and media - How great the Irish Supporters are in France. Singing and dancing and even cleaning up after themselves. Fu@k me it would sicken yer hole. In truth we are a bunch of gombeens who can't handle our drink. Whats with this bullshit culture that everything gets videoed and put on on youtube, facebook or snapshite.  I'm off to the Alaskan wilderness to live a life of solitude. :'(

I agree about the overdose of the craic on social and the should-know-better media.

But as for you last suggestion, it has been tried:

News and media - How great the Irish Supporters are in France. Singing and dancing and even cleaning up after themselves. Fu@k me it would sicken yer hole. In truth we are a bunch of gombeens who can't handle our drink. Whats with this bullshit culture that everything gets videoed and put on on youtube, facebook or snapshite.  I'm off to the Alaskan wilderness to live a life of solitude. :'(

ive wondered about posters ages .. I'm presuming by your grumpy ole men posts ye are the wrong side 40 -50.

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

AZOffaly

general_lee

Quote from: leenie on June 16, 2016, 01:19:07 PM
I'd  rather see a video of a sing song than a video of English supporters circling around refugee children throwing coins at them and chanting ...vile

So what if we are gombeens at least we are having the craic unlike those arrogant bad mannered lot from across the pound ,
Or paying 7 year olds to drink beer... some of the irish behaviour is borderline cringey but gimme that any day over running around like Billy big balls looking a fight

Rudi

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 16, 2016, 12:44:04 PM
It is pretty full on and seems a bit desperate. Look how great we are! But in fairness it IS a good news story. They are having a great time, and they seem to be well got by the locals and by fans of other teams. Sadly, what would seem to be normal can look exceptional in a backdrop of riot police, Russian heavies, and little Englanders, arms outstretched, chanting 'Stand up if you hate the french'.

They are not doing any harm, and maybe are even enhancing our reputation as a shower who like a drink and a singsong. It's not the worst thing in the world.

Fair play decent post AZ, just a bit mad that normal behavior is treated as exceptional by the media, however as you said it is a good news story as opposed to the usual shootings and killings. I was over in the states lately and witnessed complete trampish behavior by Irish in the 20-25 age category. Some of these are probably over in France now, think Irish soccer supporters have got the name of early risers. Muppet, read the book and seen the film, quality stuff, however the buckeen was flawed.

leenie

Criticising them for behaving ? What's you witnessing trampish behaviour in the states got to do with Irish supporters having the Craic and bringing atmosphere to the Euros?

Suppose with some people your damned if you do and your damned if you don't..

Rudi

Quote from: leenie on June 16, 2016, 03:34:47 PM
Criticising them for behaving ? What's you witnessing trampish behaviour in the states got to do with Irish supporters having the Craic and bringing atmosphere to the Euros?

Where the fu+k did I criticize them for behaving? Did you bother yer ass read what I wrote?

muppet

I don't think anyone is criticising the Irish fans for behaving, or indeed for anything. But I know I don't need to see, day after day on Facebook, videos of lads just enjoying themselves and calling them national heroes.

As an aside, at the Euros in 1988, the fans behaviour had a big impact on the hosts and the supporters of the teams they played against. I am aware of a group of Dutch business men who brought loads of under-priveledged kids from rough areas of Dublin, on trips to Holland, purely on the back of the fun they had with Irish fans in Euro 1988.

So it can have a good impact, and I am not knocking it. But the relentless aren't we great videos and particularly news stories is getting tiresome.
MWWSI 2017

lurganblue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36550304

what's going on here? not often UK politicians are targeted for such serious attacks.

leenie

Quote from: Rudi on June 16, 2016, 03:46:53 PM

Where the fu+k did I criticize them for behaving? Did you bother yer ass read what I wrote?

Saying it would 'sicken your hole ' ??

Also you needn't be so rude .. In your reply but then it explains a lot

AZOffaly

He means the media constantly on about it would sicken your hole. Not that the lads are being well behaved :)

leenie

so criticizing the media for reporting on them .. So what if it's constant

AZOffaly

Quote from: leenie on June 16, 2016, 04:40:55 PM

Because it's a bit OTT. It's just getting repetitive. In my opinion :) But lookit, it's great they are having a great time, and it's great they are behaving themselves. And it's great they are making more friends, so it's all good :)

seafoid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eminem#Personal_life

Sanitation worker DeAngelo Bailey sued Eminem for $1 million in 2001, accusing him of invading his privacy by publicizing information placing him in a false light in "Brain Damage", a song which portrays him as a violent school bully. Although Bailey admitted picking on Eminem in school, he said he merely "bumped" him and gave him a "little shove". The lawsuit was dismissed on October 20, 2003
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

muppet

Quote from: leenie on June 16, 2016, 04:40:55 PM

If there is one thing I don't like in the media, it is someone saying that they themselves are great. The worst example would be some BBC commentary on their soccer or rugby teams, but we are definitely not immune to this type of hubris in Ireland.

I prefer to seek out neutral commentary if at all possible.

Here is an ESPN piece on the Irish Fans at the Euros: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgV9IxeWahg
MWWSI 2017