Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

heard an interesting point of view today, and I wonder how many of the Nordies will concur. I paraphrase below

"Every young male in Northern Ireland who has been the only Protestant walking down a street in a very Republican area or in a bar, or any Catholic who has been in a very Loyalist area knows the same fear that a black man in the US feels when he is in a white area. Worried about being found out, wondering if he could be on the wrong end of a hiding, but walking with fists clenched in case he has to defend himself.

Thats what happened to Trayvon Martin, he balled his fists to take care of himself when challenged by a bigot and wound up dead, for being the wrong persuasion when some under educated dumb ass thought he should "protect his people's turf" ."

Any thoughts?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Syferus

Race relations in general in the US are no where as bad as a fish out of water in the flashpoint areas of the north. The only advantage is unless you're in your Rangers or Celtic gear it's a little harder to single you out than if you're black 'in the white man's world'.

I think what happened to Trayvon Martin was horrible but a big part of the story seems to have been lost in the rush for people to use the case to support their own causes. The way he was dressed, a hoodie, was likely a huge part of why he was profiled too. It's like chav culture in the UK, how you carry yourself is as much a part of how people judge you are your ethnicity or religion. A hoodie has become a symbol of threat and danger and when you added it with Martin being black you got a toxic mixture.

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on July 20, 2013, 02:26:59 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2013, 01:34:22 AM
Race relations in general in the US are no where as bad as a fish out of water in the flashpoint areas of the north. The only advantage is unless you're in your Rangers or Celtic gear it's a little harder to single you out than if you're black 'in the white man's world'.

I think what happened to Trayvon Martin was horrible but a big part of the story seems to have been lost in the rush for people to use the case to support their own causes. The way he was dressed, a hoodie, was likely a huge part of why he was profiled too. It's like chav culture in the UK, how you carry yourself is as much a part of how people judge you are your ethnicity or religion. A hoodie has become a symbol of threat and danger and when you added it with Martin being black you got a toxic mixture.
WTF?

It's a hoodie. I own a couple. They're an item of clothing. My own GAA club even sell their own club emblemed hoodie.

The young fella is black.

The mixture of the two is a "toxic mixture".

Christ, I give up.

BTW, Zimmerman is a murdering bastid IMO, 'acquitted by a Limerick Jury'.

Hoodie have become a symbol to a lot of people in America and even here, plenty of shops frown upon people coming in with their hoods up for obvious reasons and that's only fed into the reputation.

Couple a youth with a hoodie by its nature isn't a problem but when you mix in people's prejudices and in this case someone who's black it really was a horrible concoction.

Immediately after the killing the Miami Heat posted a picture of themselves in hoodies in a show of support so yeah, 'hoodie culture' is a very real thing.

ziggy90

Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2013, 02:55:20 PM

WTF?

It's a hoodie. I own a couple. They're an item of clothing. My own GAA club even sell their own club emblemed hoodie.

Christ, I give up.

Hoodie have become a symbol to a lot of people in America and even here, plenty of shops frown upon people coming in with their hoods up for obvious reasons and that's only fed into the reputation.

Couple a youth with a hoodie by its nature isn't a problem but when you mix in people's prejudices and in this case someone who's black it really was a horrible concoction.

Immediately after the killing the Miami Heat posted a picture of themselves in hoodies in a show of support so yeah, 'hoodie culture' is a very real thing.

Don't most clubs?? I wear them out to work in the winter and so do most of the lads I work with. Syferus, I don't think you have a clue about "chav" culture in the UK to be honest.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

laoislad

I wear a hoodie nearly everyday to work in the winter months.Wore a Laois one to Windsor Park once  :D.
Hoodie culture me hole  ::)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

omagh_gael

When you think of some of the knackers who avoided jail terms yet these two get sent down you have to think the legal system is a bit banjaxed. Not condoning their actions by the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23495785

CiKe

Quote from: ziggy90 on July 20, 2013, 03:06:53 PM

WTF?

Christ, I give up.

Don't most clubs?? I wear them out to work in the winter and so do most of the lads I work with. Syferus, I don't think you have a clue about "chav" culture in the UK to be honest.

You never saw the Cameron "hug a hoodie" thing? Wearing a hoodie doesn't make you a chav but there is definitely a perception that chav's wear hoodies.

ludermor

Quote from: CiKe on July 30, 2013, 09:02:38 AM

WTF?

Christ, I give up.

You never saw the Cameron "hug a hoodie" thing? Wearing a hoodie doesn't make you a chav but there is definitely a perception that chav's wear hoodies.
Sums it up pretty well, in some Uk shopping centres having your hood up is banned , wearing a hoodie is not banned. Id be far more concerned about the amount of clowns who go around wearing their trousers hanging below their arse!

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: ludermor on July 30, 2013, 09:25:24 AM
Quote from: CiKe on July 30, 2013, 09:02:38 AM

WTF?

Christ, I give up.

Sums it up pretty well, in some Uk shopping centres having your hood up is banned , wearing a hoodie is not banned. Id be far more concerned about the amount of clowns who go around wearing their trousers hanging below their arse!

Like this lad?
Hasta la victoria siempre

NAG1

Never mind the hoody, no belts on that trip WTF

armaghniac

Korean drving test, woman flips car after 10secs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_MJQBbr6mA

she didn't pass.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

CD

Girl to me whilst giving her a lift to Donegal: Why do some of those trees in the fields have little fences built around them?

Me to girl: They're roaming pines. The farmers fence them in to stop them from moving all over the field.

Girl (deadly serious)  Wow, I've never seen those before!

End of Conversation. She wasn't even blonde!

WTF!!

Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!