Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

laoislad

Anyone for a Horse burger?

Food safety chiefs probe horse meat in supermarket burgers

HEALTH authorities have launched an investigation after traces of horse meat were found in own-brand burgers sold by some of the country's biggest supermarkets. In a major blow to the reputation of the food industry, the meat is understood to have originated at two meat processing plants in Ireland.
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland has launched a major probe after horse DNA was found in beef samples. The two plants under investigation in Ireland are Liffey Meats and Silvercrest Foods. A third company based in the UK, Dalepak Hambleton, is also to be examined.

The meat had been sold to some of the country's leading supermarkets including Tesco, Dunnes , Aldi, Lidl and Iceland.

The FSAI confirmed that the investigation centres on how horsemeat entered the food chain.

But it stressed there was no risk to human health.

"It's not a food safety issue," a spokeswoman said. "There's no risk to human health but it is concerning. We're not a nation that eats horsemeat unlike the Netherlands and France."

Professor Alan Reilly, chief executive of FSAI, said: "Consumers who have purchased any of the implicated products can return them to their retailer.

"Whilst there is a plausible explanation for the presence of pig DNA in these products due to the fact that meat from different animals is processed in the same meat plants, there is no clear explanation at this time for the presence of horse DNA in products emanating from meat plants that do not use horsemeat in their production process.

"In Ireland, it is not in our culture to eat horsemeat and therefore, we do not expect to find it in a burger. Likewise, for some religious groups or people who abstain from eating pig meat, the presence of traces of pig DNA is unacceptable.

"We are working with the meat processing plants the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and the Marine to find out how horse DNA could have found its way into these products."

The FSAI analysed 27 beef burger products with best before dates from last June to March 2014 with 10 of the 27 products - 37% - testing positive for horse DNA and 85% testing positive for pig DNA.

Some 31 beef meal products such as cottage pie, beef curry pie and lasagne were tested with 21 found to be positive for pig DNA. All tested negative for horse meat.

Another 19 salami products were tested but showed no signs of horse DNA.

The FSAI analysis also found traces of horse DNA in batches of raw ingredients, including some imported from the Netherlands and Spain.

The DNA tests found horse in the following products: Tesco Everyday Value Beef Burgers 29.1%; Tesco Beef Quarter Pounders 0.1%; Oakhurst Beef Burgers in Aldi 0.3%; Moordale Quarter Pounders in Lidl 0.1%; Flamehouse Chargrilled Quarter Pounders in Dunnes Stores 0.1%; two varieties of Iceland Quarter Pounders 0.1%.

Even lower levels were recorded in Moordale Beef Burgers in Lidl and St Bernard Beef Burgers in Dunnes Stores.

The FSAI said its officials were working with the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine and the processing plants and retailers involved.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/food-safety-chiefs-probe-horse-meat-in-supermarket-burgers-3354449.html
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

muppet

No wonder we are saddled with debt. We need proper vetting on this night-mare as I suspect foal play.

Ulster says neigh, hi.
MWWSI 2017

BennyHarp

I dont see the problem with this. Surely it's all part of a stable diet?
That was never a square ball!!

sans pessimism

Horseradish on yer burger...there'll be some
kickback from that
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Nally Stand

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 16, 2013, 07:47:35 AM
I dont see the problem with this. Surely it's all part of a stable diet?

Agreed, I ate one and it's done me no harm at all. In fact my coat is really glossy and I just ran a mile in 1min 50sec
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

never kickt a ball

By the time I got to my burgers this morning they were off.

laoislad

I expect there will be a thoroughbred investigation into this
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Puckoon

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Tony Baloney

Ordered a burger in the Tesco Cafe earlier. The waitress asked "what do you want on it?".

"A fiver each way" was the reply.

muppet

Fed up with Tesco horse burgers?

Try their new Korean meatballs, they're the dogs bollocks.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Tesco are also selling their new Korean snack - Hot Poodle.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/9df329ce-5bd7-11e2-bf31-00144feab49a.html

"You'd be shocked how many people want to see what the temperature in their house is everyday. People love the idea they can look at their smartphone and change the temperature."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU