Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteHuddersfield sack Lee Clark.. 3 losses in 55 league games..

perhaps they wanted someone where you could tell which was their firstname and which was their surname.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

the Deel Rover

From todays indo

Tuesday February 21 2012

PETER Skyllberg, the Swedish man who apparently survived more than two months of freezing winter in a snow-covered car had been living in the vehicle since last summer, when he was a regular customer at a local petrol station.

Mr Skyllberg was said by doctors to have endured temperatures of -30C (-22F) as he stayed inside the car through most of December, January and February after it was covered by heavy snow in a forest near the town of Umea in northern Sweden. He was eventually found, apparently emaciated and barely able to move or speak, by passers-by.

Mr Skyllberg was said to have survived on nothing but snow, but investigators believe that he also ate a "salve or ointment" that was found in the car in order to survive. Police initially thought he may have been a nature lover who may have become trapped while on an expedition.

But a local petrol station owner, Andreas Östensson, said that Mr Skyllberg had been living in the forest and sleeping in his car since last summer and that he had regularly come into his store to buy "hot dogs and coffee".

He said the 44-year-old "loner" was apparently in good health when he had disappeared towards the end of last year.

"He drove here in his car. Sometimes he filled the car and bought hot dogs, bread, cigarettes and coffee," Mr Östensson said. "He said that he lived in the forest and slept in the car."

He said Mr Skyllberg never spoke to other customers. "He was kind of odd but always very nice. He talked to me and he was laughing. I got the impression that he had driven through all Sweden, then stopped here and told himself 'this is a good place, I will stay here'," he told the newspaper Aftonbladet.

"Of course I thought it was odd that he lived in the forest. I was wondering what he was doing all day. But on the other hand he was good looking, used camping clothes, shaved himself and had good hygiene. I knew he was a loner but that he could live in the car for such a long time is difficult to understand."

Mr Skyllberg, from the central Swedish town of Karlskoga, had allegedly told Mr Östensson that he was from south Sweden and that he had worked as a carpenter but had had to leave the job.

But it has since emerged that he apparently got into money troubles after trying to buy a block of apartments. A local court ordered Mr Skyllberg's properties be seized after he was unable to pay debts of 1.6?million Kronor (€180,000). He had also broken up with his girlfriend.

A friend of Mr Skyllberg's claimed yesterday that he had disappered last May with debt collectors on his heels and had not been heard from since.

Police in Umea are baffled as to why Mr Skyllberg apparently did not try to leave his car. While the claim he had survived for 60 days with no food has drawn scepticism, experts say it is possible.

Mr Skyllberg is recovering in Umea's Norrlands hospital but refuses to talk to the press. Police believe his claims that he lived on snow and confirmed that he had not many hours to live when found.

He has not been in contact with his family for many years. "I have no information about him. He stopped contacting the family 20 years ago," his father said.

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Puckoon

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/Defense_Ga_suspect_says_angel_told_him_to_kill_139872173.html

Prosecutors urged jurors Tuesday to dismiss
a murder defendant's assertions that an angel who looked like Olivia Newton-John ordered him to fatally shoot a co-worker's husband outside a preschool. They say Hemy Neuman was not delusional or insane and had planned the killing for months.

Prosecutors said Neuman will also claim he was visited by a demon who sounded like Barry White.

laoislad

Laois locals were paid to play cricket during the Great Famine

"TAKING THE Queen's shilling" has acquired an unexpected new meaning with the revelation that men in the midlands played cricket for a landlord's cash during the Great Famine.

Documents discovered in Co Laois reveal that the quintessential English game offered poverty-stricken Irishmen a rare chance to earn money during the catastrophe which devastated the countryside.

Viscount Ashbrook's cricket club – on his estate at Castle Durrow – had a membership composed of the local Protestant gentry. But when the club needed extra players, Catholic men from the lower classes were hired to supplement the team. While the "toffs" were required to make cash contributions to the club, the Laois "temps" were actually paid for their endeavours.

Records from the Ashbrook Cricket Club for the years 1846-1848 have unexpectedly come to light and will be auctioned by Sheppard's fine art auctioneers next month.

Rules and Regulations for the Season 1847 – the worst year of the Famine – show that the club members were required to pay "one shilling for every match they are on the losing side" and "one shilling and sixpence" (which included the cost of a luncheon of "cold meat") for each practice day.

But the Catholic hirelings were paid for their participation – at the rate of "two shillings each for practice day and the same per day for matches against other clubs and their expenses".

Auctioneer Philip Sheppard said the "mostly Catholic" young men had "used their sporting skills to earn money at a time of mass starvation" by "playing alongside peers of the realm, members of parliament, medical doctors and clergymen".

With the exception of boxers and jockeys, the Laois cricketers appear to have been the first Irish sports players to be paid. But perhaps Viscount Ashbrook, a reputedly "good" landlord, had devised the payments to alleviate suffering?

Ashbrook Cricket Club's records for the summer of 1847 chronicle matches against clubs including Kilkenny; The Huntingdon Club at the Heath Ground in Maryborough (now Portlaoise); Templemore, Co Tipperary; the Carlow Club; and the Phoenix Club in Dublin.

Although that year subsequently became known as "Black '47" in Irish history, there is no hint or reference to the social impact of the Famine.

Mr Sheppard said the document was the earliest-known, organised "primary source" record of Irish sport in existence – with the exception of those relating to horse-racing – which "expands our understanding of mid-19th century provincial sporting and social life beyond the generalities of the huntin', shootin', fishin' stereotype".
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

That article seems to assume that simply because it was 1847, and it was somewhere in Ireland, that everyone there was starving. The effects of the famine were not spread evenly over the country.

www.irelandstory.com
MWWSI 2017

mannix

Mayo, apparently, had a pre famine population of 400,000? Where did they all live?  And ballina had a few breweries and a shkite of local newspapers.
In other things that make me wonder and think a lot.
The 2 year old boy that died in front of Marie Colvin, she was a CNN reporter in syria.She was naturally upset, as anyone with a heart would, she explained why she wanted the footage broadcast, sadly she was dead a day later herself, a victim just like the little kid of the bombing in Homs.

heganboy

I don't know what to say about this one...

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2012/02/joe_arpaio_craigslist_used_to.php

​Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and company say they've found more people surfing Craigslist trying to find dogs that are DTF.

The plan, according to Arpaio, was that the three people arrested by the MCSO last night were using Craigslist to find a dog to "fornicate" with the woman, while her husband and friend watched.

The sheriff's office says all three of their suspects -- Shane Walker, 38, Sarah Dae Walker, 33, and Robert Aucker, 29 -- showed up to the predetermined location, where they met an undercover detective and his male Golden Shepherd mix.

The detective was also offered the "opportunity to join in on the act," although it's not clear exactly what his role would have been.

MCSO Sgt. Brandon Jones tells New Times he "can't disclose" exactly how this operation was set up, but we know it ended up with three people meeting with a detective, his dog, and with expectations of at least one person having sex with it.

UPDATE: According to court documents obtained by New Times, the undercover detective responded to a Craigslist ad posted by the Walkers. The three admitted the plan was for Sarah Walker to have sex with the dog, and her husband, Aucker, and the undercover deputy would join in at some point, according to the documents.

Arpaio's apparently sharp with puns today, as he's quoted in a press release saying, "People who do this for enjoyment are a different breed, that's for certain."

Arpaio also reiterated the fact that he wrote a letter to Craigslist CEO Jim Buckmaster (almost a year ago) asking that he try to prevent the barnyard-banging-type stuff on his website, but Arpaio never got a response.

The sheriff's office says the Walkers and Aucker each admitted to their intentions with the dog, and as part of the Walkers' open marriage, Aucker told detectives he and Sarah Walker "have had a sexual relationship for the last month and that she shared with him dreams of having sex with a dog."

What we're guessing the dog's face looked like when it was informed of the plan.

This is now the second alleged dog-sex plan busted up by the MCSO using Craigslist, since two men -- one of them an elementary school teacher -- were arrested in a plot similar to the above-mentioned trio.

The Walkers and Aucker were arrested for "conspiring to commit an act of bestiality," according to the sheriff's office.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Hashtag

I HAVE A FISHBONE STUCK IN MY THROAT.  :'( :'( :o how do I dislodge it. PANICING HERE PEOPLE

theskull1

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/askquestion/1514/cure-for-fish-bone-stuck-in-throat-how-do-i-get-ou.html

The GAAboard is not the fountain of all knowledge...that'll be the world wide web. If youre still alive I'd use it instead
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hashtag

Quote from: theskull1 on March 01, 2012, 02:05:47 PM
http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/askquestion/1514/cure-for-fish-bone-stuck-in-throat-how-do-i-get-ou.html

The GAAboard is not the fountain of all knowledge...that'll be the world wide web. If youre still alive I'd use it instead

If I don't make it, avenge me.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Hashtag on March 01, 2012, 01:58:42 PM
I HAVE A FISHBONE STUCK IN MY THROAT.  :'( :'( :o how do I dislodge it. PANICING HERE PEOPLE

I had one stuck there for 2 days last year. It won't kill you but it's really uncomfortable and irritating. Lots of people told me to drink vinegar but it didn't seem to make any difference. I think they usually wear away after a couple of days. It's a right b!tch though. I've avoided fish since.

Hashtag

Quote from: Asal Mor on March 01, 2012, 02:38:25 PM
Quote from: Hashtag on March 01, 2012, 01:58:42 PM

I had one stuck there for 2 days last year. It won't kill you but it's really uncomfortable and irritating. Lots of people told me to drink vinegar but it didn't seem to make any difference. I think they usually wear away after a couple of days. It's a right b!tch though. I've avoided fish since.

This will be my last experience with fish, apart from fish pie if you know what I mean  8)