Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

bet this scared the crap out of the attendants, I know I would be

South Africa: 'Dead man' wakes up inside morgue

A 50-year-old South African man woke up inside a mortuary over the weekend and screamed to be let out - scaring away attendants who thought he was a ghost.

His family presumed he was dead when they could not wake him on Saturday night and contacted a private morgue in a rural village in the Eastern Cape.

He spent almost 24 hours inside the morgue, the region's health department spokesman told the Sapa news agency.

The two attendants later returned and called for an ambulance.

The man - whose identity has been withheld - was treated in hospital for dehydration.

Eastern Cape health spokesperson
"Doctors put him under observation and concluded he was stable," Eastern Cape health spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said.

"He did not need further treatment."

Mr Kupelo said the man woke up at 1700 local time (1500 GMT) on Sunday, demanding to be let out of the chilly morgue in Libode village, frightening the attendants on duty.

"At first the men ran for their lives," said Mr Kupelo.

Officials have urged the public to contact doctors or the emergency services so they can they can pronounce someone dead before calling an undertaker.

"You begin to you ask yourself how many other people have died like that in a morgue," said Mr Kupelo."We need to [get] the message across to all South Africans that it is very wrong for them to conclude on their own that a person has died," he said
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

AbbeySider

Letterkenny hospital doctor was unable to take pulse

A JUNIOR doctor recruited to work at Letterkenny General Hospital last July could not take a patient's pulse, a Medical Council fitness to practise inquiry heard yesterday.

The inquiry was told there were concerns about the competency of Dr Asia Ndaga (31), who qualified in Romania in 2008, from the moment she joined the hospital on July 1st, 2010.

There were concerns that her medical knowledge was "weak" for a senior house officer, at the slow speed of her assessment and diagnosis of patients and about her ability to calculate drug dosages.

A clinical incident had been noted formally whereby a nurse had to show her how to certify the death of a patient and how to write up medical notes in relation to a patient transferred from Dublin.

Dr Ken Mulpeter, a consultant geriatrician at the hospital, undertook an assessment of her competency on August 18th after concerns had been raised. He took her to see a patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and an irregular heartbeat and asked her to take the patient's pulse. She tried to do this by putting her fingers "on top of the patient's wrist" rather than underneath it and said the patient was in normal rhythm.

"I obviously got a bit of a shock with that, so I asked her to take the patient's pulse in his feet," said Dr Mulpeter. "She put her two fingers on areas of the foot where you would not feel a pulse."

He said how to take a patient's pulse was something learned in first or second year in college.

He said Dr Ndaga was unable to say how much oxygen the patient was on, something which could be read from the patient's oxygen mask and a device on the wall.

She also did not know why the man had a barrel-shaped chest. It was an indication of lung disease but she suggested rickets.

In addition, she failed to take an adequate patient history, partly due to some language difficulties. Dr Mulpeter felt she was not competent to continue working in the hospital as a senior house officer and her contract was terminated.

Dr Ndaga, who did not turn up for the inquiry, was found guilty of poor professional performance. The fitness to practise committee will report to the full council and recommend an appropriate sanction, which was not disclosed.

The inquiry heard Dr Ndaga had not been interviewed by the hospital and the hospital did not check her references. Pat Murray, human resources manager at the hospital, said this was because she was interviewed by the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland as part of a central recruitment process and allocated to the hospital as part of the college's training scheme. He understood she did not get a post in the initial round of offers from the college but was on "a reserve list" used when all training posts had not been filled.

Dr Ndaga was registered by the council in March 2009. Solicitor JP McDowell, for the council, told the inquiry it was not clear whether she had worked in Ireland before getting the Letterkenny job. However, Mr Murray said when he spoke to her about her performance, she indicated this was her first job in Ireland.

Dr Mulpeter said in evidence that "at the time we had some difficulty in recruiting doctors, so there was an expectation that the doctors might not be as strong as in previous years". Staff were therefore prepared to supervise them more closely. He said it might be expected she would need time to get up to speed on the Irish hospital system but his major concern was her competency. He did not consider it safe to have her working in the hospital.

Mr McDowell said initially a firm of solicitors had engaged with the council on her behalf, claiming the assessment of her skills by Dr Mulpeter lasted only five minutes and that he looked down on foreign doctors, an accusation denied by Dr Mulpeter and Mr Murray.

Denn Forever

Beggers belief.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13700490

Sterilisation: North Carolina grapples with legacyBy Daniel Nasaw

BBC News, Washington

Ms Riddick, now 57, suffered decades of depression and illness More than 60,000 Americans were sterilised, many against their will, as part of a eugenics movement that finished in 1979, aimed at keeping the poor and mentally ill from having children. Now, decades on, one state is considering compensation.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Bingo

In the office this morning, receptionist comes in to say that there is a young fella walking round the cars outside. I go to look (we are upstairs) and see the pup, very dodgy looking, going in and around the cars, looking in and trying the door handles. I go straight out and ask him what he is doing (he's a young traveller bloke, very rough looking but no more than 16).

He comes towards me and pulls something from pocket but it only paper, waves it at me and says he waiting on someone, pointing across the road and off he goes. Garda called at this stage and they land 5 minutes later and give him a pull as he is doing same on cars across the road.

They search him and put him on his way. They call in to say he had nothing on him, is known to them and the paper he was waving is a letter about a meeting he has with his probation officer in the building across the road that he was waiting to go into!!

WTF the cheeky barsteward.

blewuporstuffed

Holland at the top of the FIFA world rankings
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AFS

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 24, 2011, 04:34:24 PM

Why not? They've won 20 out of their last 21 competitive matches, and that one defeat was only after extra time in a World Cup final. Spain should probably be ahead of them, but as far as results go there's f**k all separating the two over the last few years.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AFS on August 24, 2011, 05:13:23 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 24, 2011, 04:34:24 PM

Why not? They've won 20 out of their last 21 competitive matches, and that one defeat was only after extra time in a World Cup final. Spain should probably be ahead of them, but as far as results go there's f**k all separating the two over the last few years.
spain are current euro & world champions, i just couldnt believe holland were ahead of them!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

Dead squid that dances when you pour soy sauce on it.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on September 02, 2011, 05:54:38 PM
Dead squid that dances when you pour soy sauce on it.

For some strange reason that squid reminds me of Robbie Keane.
MWWSI 2017