The most bonkers moments in GAA

Started by BennyCake, April 27, 2020, 01:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveballaghback

Quote from: Rossfan on April 27, 2020, 11:27:51 PM
From memory- Ros got the Cup, then the ref found some Connacht Council officials to tell them he didn't allow the goal as the lad who placed the ball didnt take the kick and therefore Galway were the winners.
Eventually it was replayed and we won.
I remember the incident well. It was as you said except it was galway that put the pressure on and got the ref to change his decision after the match and Galway were presented with the cup.Ros were also in the senior final that day and it ended in a draw.I did not hear till after the senior  game that the minor result had been overturned, Every phone box in Ros was on the go that night but the Connacht council were standing firm it was Galways title,
A movement to boycot the senior replay and refuse to play it was gathering speed by the following morning and a meeting of ros supporters was being called for hyde park on the Wednesday evening. To avoid the rossie storm a replay was agreed by lunchtime on Monday and it was replayed on the following Wednesday evening back in Castlebar brfore the biggest crowd I have ever seen at a Connacht minor championship match.Roscommon won easliy by 4 or 5 points,

From the Bunker

Quote from: giveballaghback on April 28, 2020, 09:36:29 PM
From memory- Ros got the Cup, then the ref found some Connacht Council officials to tell them he didn't allow the goal as the lad who placed the ball didnt take the kick and therefore Galway were the winners.
I remember the incident well. It was as you said except it was galway that put the pressure on and got the ref to change his decision after the match and Galway were presented with the cup.Ros were also in the senior final that day and it ended in a draw.I did not hear till after the senior  game that the minor result had been overturned, Every phone box in Ros was on the go that night but the Connacht council were standing firm it was Galways title,
A movement to boycot the senior replay and refuse to play it was gathering speed by the following morning and a meeting of ros supporters was being called for hyde park on the Wednesday evening. To avoid the rossie storm a replay was agreed by lunchtime on Monday and it was replayed on the following Wednesday evening back in Castlebar brfore the biggest crowd I have ever seen at a Connacht minor championship match.Roscommon won easliy by 4 or 5 points,

Remember it well - Cake took the controversial penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZKbZlERhQs

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2020, 12:46:39 PM
GAA president Liam O'Neill insulting fans who didn't like the Sky deal in 2014

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-president-clarifies-remarks-about-prime-time-audience-member-1.1750883

The following day, speaking at a GAA function in Croke Park, O'Neill sharply criticised RTÉ's treatment of the story stating: "I think the star of the show was Prime Time in fairness. Where they got people in the audience... where they got the character barely able to read, calling us whatever he called us. Where did they get them?"

Sure your man could barely read and was going on about the usual "Grab All Association" nonsense. I was wondering where they got him too!

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on April 27, 2020, 01:51:07 PM
Mayo winning the 1925 Connacht final but Galway represent Connacht and win the All Ireland

Galway won Connacht final! The Connacht final was not held in time to produce a team that could compete against the other three provinces in the semi-finals. Mayo was therefore nominated to represent the province. Mayo beat Wexford in the semi final. Kerry beat Cavan in the other semi-final. However, both Kerry and Cavan were disqualified for fielding illegal players. This meant that Mayo were declared champions without the need for a final. However, in the meantime, Galway had defeated Mayo in the Connacht final and this put the GAA in a bind. They withdrew their nomination of Mayo to represent Connacht, and chose Galway as rightful Connacht champions. Thus, Galway became All-Ireland champions.

Rossfan

Quote from: giveballaghback on April 28, 2020, 09:36:29 PM
I'll disagree with your bit about Galway getting the Cup as I recall bumping into a few if the Ros minors at ht in the Senior game and one of them (Colm Kelly from Oran I think) had the Cup with him.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TheGreatest

Meath v Louth Leinster final, that was madness.

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 29, 2020, 08:13:05 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 27, 2020, 01:51:07 PM
Mayo winning the 1925 Connacht final but Galway represent Connacht and win the All Ireland

Galway won Connacht final! The Connacht final was not held in time to produce a team that could compete against the other three provinces in the semi-finals. Mayo was therefore nominated to represent the province. Mayo beat Wexford in the semi final. Kerry beat Cavan in the other semi-final. However, both Kerry and Cavan were disqualified for fielding illegal players. This meant that Mayo were declared champions without the need for a final. However, in the meantime, Galway had defeated Mayo in the Connacht final and this put the GAA in a bind. They withdrew their nomination of Mayo to represent Connacht, and chose Galway as rightful Connacht champions. Thus, Galway became All-Ireland champions.

Frig me, that AI for Galway was almost as handy as most of Kerry's!

sid waddell

Jayo's goal with his sock against Leix in 1995.

Babs Keating playing barefoot in the 1971 All-Ireland hurling final.

sid waddell

Quote from: johnnycool on April 28, 2020, 01:54:10 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 27, 2020, 04:04:03 PM
The Biffos sitdown protest in the 1998 semi versus Clare was a bit mad!

Certainly the maddest thing I've ever saw and it was live on TV at the time.
There was meant to be either a B or intermediate championship game on after that game and it had to be cancelled.
If you watch the footage of it again there's either Carlow or Kildare hurlers pucking balls about in the background.

Biffo's went on to win the AI that year IIRC.

Clare were out on their feet in the replay.
A few handy pints in the pub the night before a match makes you fitter than all those runs up the hill at Shannon.

Feckitt

I always wondered, Why did Babs Keating play in his bare feet?

johnnycool

Quote from: Feckitt on April 29, 2020, 04:08:28 PM

He did it once and only after one of his boots bust IIRC.

seafoid

Down in the 92 hurling semi I think. Loads of players went off injured.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

didlyi

Alot of players did it back then.

My Moment is Corks Christy Ring being carried shoulder high off the pitch by wexford players after the 58 final.
Ring was on the loosing side. So mad it never happened since

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on April 29, 2020, 07:57:31 PM
Quote from: didlyi on April 29, 2020, 07:27:09 PM

Alot of players did it back then
Did they? In the 70s? I've never heard of anyone else do it and I thought he only did it once.

I thought his boot broke and he played on without them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on April 29, 2020, 09:35:18 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 29, 2020, 08:44:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 29, 2020, 07:57:31 PM
Quote from: didlyi on April 29, 2020, 07:27:09 PM

Alot of players did it back then
Did they? In the 70s? I've never heard of anyone else do it and I thought he only did it once.

I thought his boot broke and he played on without them
Cobblers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WRpa4DG8nhQ

So I was right then! 😅
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea