The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Martin Morgan former SDLP councillor in Belfast was young and had a bit of vibrancy about him. I once asked him if he got much hassle from Republicans in North Belfast and he said he got more from members of his own party when he spoke out against the behaviour of the police and the state. They accused him of sounding like a Sinn Feiner. Says it all... now he is nowhere to be seen.   

Zapatista

Quote from: orangeman on April 25, 2010, 12:03:41 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on April 25, 2010, 11:58:25 AM
IF this thread is a reflection of the general opinion of the SDLP then they are in serious trouble.

The SDLP became nothing after Hume packed it in. Even Mallon was second rate who never achieved anything in his political career. Since it became clear that the Peace process would mean SF sctive in political institutions the SDLP became the atni SF party. Ever since peace became a real possibility after the Adams and Hume talks the SDLP went into defence mode trying to protect their electoral success against SF. This inculded and includes pacts with Unionists and British Governments in an attempt to isolate SF. They have some neck complaining about SF not taking seats in westminster when over the years the stood hand in hand with unionists and british Governments while SF were locked outside the gates.

History repeating itself then with SF doing the same thing now. What's new ?

I don't get ye?

orangeman

Quote from: Zapatista on April 25, 2010, 12:46:06 PM
Quote from: orangeman on April 25, 2010, 12:03:41 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on April 25, 2010, 11:58:25 AM
IF this thread is a reflection of the general opinion of the SDLP then they are in serious trouble.

The SDLP became nothing after Hume packed it in. Even Mallon was second rate who never achieved anything in his political career. Since it became clear that the Peace process would mean SF sctive in political institutions the SDLP became the atni SF party. Ever since peace became a real possibility after the Adams and Hume talks the SDLP went into defence mode trying to protect their electoral success against SF. This inculded and includes pacts with Unionists and British Governments in an attempt to isolate SF. They have some neck complaining about SF not taking seats in westminster when over the years the stood hand in hand with unionists and british Governments while SF were locked outside the gates.

History repeating itself then with SF doing the same thing now. What's new ?

I don't get ye?

SDLP accuse SF today of doing what you say the SDLP did to SF in the previous generation.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 25, 2010, 12:20:37 PM
Martin Morgan former SDLP councillor in Belfast was young and had a bit of vibrancy about him. I once asked him if he got much hassle from Republicans in North Belfast and he said he got more from members of his own party when he spoke out against the behaviour of the police and the state. They accused him of sounding like a Sinn Feiner. Says it all... now he is nowhere to be seen.   

I think he stood a few years ago, and came across as a very good candidate. Talked publicly about many in the SDLP wanting to drop the re-unification idea
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Pangurban

If there is a more strident, illogical,ill prepared leader of a party, than Margaret Ritchie, then i have yet to come across them. The only place she will lead the S.D.L.P. is to complete oblivion.

unitedireland

Its Richie's fault if Unionist's take fermanagh and south Tyrone as the SDLP are not going to claim a seat they are only there to make up numbers and possibility take the deciding votes. McKinney was on TV last sunday and make look a fool by Gerry Kelly in a debate. Another celebrity politician - crap

Ulick

Quote from: unitedireland on April 26, 2010, 11:40:45 AM
Its Richie's fault if Unionist's take fermanagh and south Tyrone as the SDLP are not going to claim a seat they are only there to make up numbers and possibility take the deciding votes. McKinney was on TV last sunday and make look a fool by Gerry Kelly in a debate. Another celebrity politician - crap

She admitted as much on the radio yesterday morning that it was about building for the Assembly elections next year i.e. she will hand the Westminster seat to the unionists so she can increase Fearghals chances of getting an Assembly seat.

Maguire01

Is that not a legitimate enough move by a party leader then? To maximise their vote in a constituency? A SF or any Nationalist victory in FST Westminster elections won't bring a UI any closer, if the constitutional issue is your big concern.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 26, 2010, 04:22:56 PM
Is that not a legitimate enough move by a party leader then? To maximise their vote in a constituency? A SF or any Nationalist victory in FST Westminster elections won't bring a UI any closer, if the constitutional issue is your big concern.

I'd imagine if the SDLP were looking to build their strength for the Assembly elections they would have been better served to take part in the electoral pact. In refusing they have done their credibility no good amongst nationalists. Again.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 26, 2010, 04:43:31 PM

I'd imagine if the SDLP were looking to build their strength for the Assembly elections they would have been better served to take part in the electoral pact. In refusing they have done their credibility no good amongst nationalists. Again.
Obviously Margaret Ritchie thought otherwise. The impact on their credibility will be seen in a few weeks and in the subsequent Assembly elections and they will have to live with that. Their credibility in the eyes of SF and staunch SF supporters such as yourself will probably be of little concern.

A Quinn Martin Production

Maguire01...from what I can tell their credibility has taken a big blow in F&ST.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Maguire01

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on April 26, 2010, 05:00:14 PM
Maguire01...from what I can tell their credibility has taken a big blow in F&ST.
Quite possibly - we'll soon find out. Although I'd imagine that the most vocal would be SF supporters, as is the case on here. At the end of the day, it's in the hands of the electorate in FST - they can still choose to return Gildernew, the SDLP hasn't removed that option.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 26, 2010, 04:50:38 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 26, 2010, 04:43:31 PM

Obviously Margaret Ritchie thought otherwise. The impact on their credibility will be seen in a few weeks and in the subsequent Assembly elections and they will have to live with that. Their credibility in the eyes of SF and staunch SF supporters such as yourself will probably be of little concern.

Well either Margaret Ritchie thought different, (in which case she could be regarded as even worse a party leader than the posters on this thread have already alleged) or else, which I suggest is the more likely scenario, she is of the "anyone but SF" mindset that seems to permeate everything the SDLP says and does in the past number of years. I would agree with you when you say you expect the SDLP would not be all that concerned with how they are seen by SF supporters. Unfortunately they should be concerned with how the general nationalist population sees them. Again, this move by them indicated that they aren't actually too bothered with that.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore