The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Sinn fein could never get the voter nos for south Belfast but could to enough to skewer the SDLP which had been s long term objective. So we get Pengelly for that mentality. And it not be lost on me nxt time caoimhe Arch. Coming round looking a vote..

omaghjoe

A pact for north/south belfast along with one for FST & Upper Bann would seem fairly logical esp for the SDLP.

If we haven't seen it yet doubt we'll see it now with FF involved who would love to give the shinners a bloody nose in the north. The root of it all seems to me mainly cos the stoops are too proud.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on February 10, 2019, 07:13:33 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 10, 2019, 02:13:27 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on February 10, 2019, 02:08:02 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 10, 2019, 02:02:25 PM
Same old story.

Chat about reviving democratic institutions out of one side of our mouths and then playing electoral gains to keep themmuns out of South Belfast from the other. Absolute nonsense.

The only nonsense is the constituency with the highest remain vote in NI is represented by a cnut.

The constituency is represented by the democratic winner on the basis of the electoral system in place. Whether she's a **** or not (she clearly is) is moot.

It's the 21st century. People talk of moving on and a brighter future and all that but are hypocritically blinded when it comes to the idea that electoral pacts are by definition anti democratic.

If the majority of Nationalists in South Belfast wanted a Nationalist MP they should've went out and voted Alasdair McDonnell. It's rather quite simple.

Was Alasdair a social democrat or just a member of the SDLP?

trailer

Electoral pacts serve what purpose? Keep themmuns out? That's the politics of a cess pit. That mentality has this place in the mess it is. Every party should stand on its manifesto. The electorate should then go out and vote for the party they think best represents them. Vote for something. Argue, disagree etc, but go out and vote for something rather than voting against something.

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on February 11, 2019, 10:45:16 AM
Same old story.

Chat about reviving democratic institutions out of one side of our mouths and then playing electoral gains to keep themmuns out of South Belfast from the other. Absolute nonsense.

The only nonsense is the constituency with the highest remain vote in NI is represented by a cnut.

The constituency is represented by the democratic winner on the basis of the electoral system in place. Whether she's a **** or not (she clearly is) is moot.

It's the 21st century. People talk of moving on and a brighter future and all that but are hypocritically blinded when it comes to the idea that electoral pacts are by definition anti democratic.

If the majority of Nationalists in South Belfast wanted a Nationalist MP they should've went out and voted Alasdair McDonnell. It's rather quite simple.

Are you asking me? I don't know. Keen to find out more about his skeletons though. Being a doctor he probably has at least one skeleton alright.

imtommygunn

He was fond of a good auld expense claim. I don't know the full ins and outs but I suspect if you google you should find it out.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 11, 2019, 11:26:56 AM
He was fond of a good auld expense claim. I don't know the full ins and outs but I suspect if you google you should find it out.

What politician isn't ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: trailer on February 11, 2019, 10:55:40 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 11, 2019, 10:45:16 AM
Same old story.

Are you asking me? I don't know. Keen to find out more about his skeletons though. Being a doctor he probably has at least one skeleton alright.

Well certainly SF played a pretty dirty campaign last time leaking all sorts of accusations against McDonnell. No idea if they were true or not but nothing to this day has come of them. McDonnell surprisingly increased his vote share despite the smear campaign last time unfortunately the UUP vote collapsed and all nice moderate Unionists decided to vote for the bigot DUP just to keep a taig out

Seany

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47200039

Not good news for the SDLP.  Essentially, the SDL part of the party was sacrificed for Saturday's agreement to enter into an 'understanding' with Fianna Fail.  Now, an majorl part of the P has gone too.

trailer

Quote from: Seany on February 11, 2019, 02:29:17 PM

Not good news for the SDLP.  Essentially, the SDL part of the party was sacrificed for Saturday's agreement to enter into an 'understanding' with Fianna Fail.  Now, an majorl part of the P has gone too.

It would appear Claire is only a Democrat when it suits her. Sad but something has to change or there'll be no party to resign from.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: trailer on February 11, 2019, 03:06:04 PM

It would appear Claire is only a Democrat when it suits her. Sad but something has to change or there'll be no party to resign from.

Pathetic.

You can be a democrat, accept a vote has gone against you and then take whatever actions your principles demand. In her case, the party she belonged to voted to become a branch of FF, a centre right party and moved away from its founding principles and any pretence of being social democrats with left leaning policies. She has her principles and decided to resign her portfolio and become an independent.  Strange though that she wants to remain a member of the party.

trailer

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 11, 2019, 03:16:29 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 11, 2019, 03:06:04 PM

Pathetic.

You can be a democrat, accept a vote has gone against you and then take whatever actions your principles demand. In her case, the party she belonged to voted to become a branch of FF, a centre right party and moved away from its founding principles and any pretence of being social democrats with left leaning policies. She has her principles and decided to resign her portfolio and become an independent.  Strange though that she wants to remain a member of the party.

There's nothing pathetic about it. Claire should shite or get off the pot. She hasn't resigned from the party just the assembly whip.
It was a simple choice for the SDLP. Adapt or die. In my view they should have went much further and taken the Spanish conquistador Hernando Cortez's approach and burned the ships.

lurganblue

Quote from: trailer on February 11, 2019, 10:49:26 AM
Electoral pacts serve what purpose? Keep themmuns out? That's the politics of a cess pit. That mentality has this place in the mess it is. Every party should stand on its manifesto. The electorate should then go out and vote for the party they think best represents them. Vote for something. Argue, disagree etc, but go out and vote for something rather than voting against something.

Agreed. I personally only vote for one party that i agree with on a majority of issues. A pact would be no good to me as i would not vote for a different party just so another "side" wont get in.

Applesisapples

Claire Hanna is undoubtedly articulate, but like most politicians a little too rehearsed in her arguments. I think Claire and her supporters like Briege Rogers represent the cultural nationalist wing of the SDLP and the slightly greener part has cast them adrift with the Fianna Fail alliance. The Shinners seem to be mopping up the yoof so difficult for the SDLP to keep going with out a broader all-Ireland approach. Their mistake is in only going half way.

Seany

Colm Eastwood spoke at the Fianna Fáil Ard Fheis today and for his greatest ovations when he criticized SF for their abstentionnistes policy and for having the audacity to suggest that a referendum on irish unity should be a consideration after Brexit. Do they really think that this sort of rhetoric is going to drive SF voters in their droves and into the arms of the SDFF 'understanding',  This sort of nonsense drives northern nationalists up the walls.  it is just the very self same thing that will lose them even more voters. Those to parties are connected by only one thing and that is their hatred for Sinn Fein.