Greatest Sportsmen of all Time/New Poll for top 5 to Agree on.

Started by Eastern_Pride, August 18, 2009, 10:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatest Sportsman of All Time.

Michael Jordan
Muhammed Ali
Usain Bolt
Lance Armstrong
Tiger Woods
Pele

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: moysider on August 20, 2009, 01:34:37 PM
I think we need to look beyond just technical excellence. Henry Armstrong and Robinson arguably better at their craft and better champions than Ali but Ali captured the imagination of the globe.

Lester was a great jockey and Nijinsky a great athlete but it was Vincent O Brien that made it happen and redefined his sport.

Vincent was probably the only Irishman to have ever truly dominated a sport on a world stage. He deserves to be nominated for that alone if we're being parochial.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

gallsman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 20, 2009, 02:20:07 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 20, 2009, 02:17:23 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 20, 2009, 02:12:18 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 20, 2009, 02:09:28 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 20, 2009, 02:03:39 PM
Delboy - I'd die in the boat after about 2 minutes! I'm not saying his success wasnt great, it was amazing but for me, he's not up there with some of the other people named. 

Gallsman, I cant be f**king arsed, you come on to this thread accusing people of being biased or anti british or some shite and accuse me or arguing. 

anyway, wobbler's list is close to the mark for me.

Hang on now. You definitively stated that rowing requires neither talent nor skill. I'm asking you to justify this from personal experience. I'll ask again. Do you have any experience of rowing that can justify your statement that rowing requires neither talent nor skill?

yeah, I rowed for cambridge.

I'll take that as a "no". That's fine, that's all I wanted to know. So what's the problem with rowing for you pints that you degrade it even though you've no experience of it. Is it that it's seen as a toff's sport?
Aye and English, I'm bigoted like that, there could be no other reason for me having an opinion on it.   ::)

I know you're a bigot, but that's not the point. You've already admitted you have no basis for dismissing rowing as a sport requiring no talent or skill, so you must have another objection to it. Perhaps this time you could answer the question instead of resorting to sarcastic juvenile drivel.

pintsofguinness

I see no point in discussing it further with you, it's my opinion, get over it.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: thewobbler on August 20, 2009, 01:04:04 PM
Michael Jordan
Usain Bolt
Roger Federer
Tiger Woods
Don Bradman
Michael Phelps

Statistically and visibly the greatest sportsmen of all time in their respective fields, and each playing a popular sport. Almsot everyone else mentioned on this thread requires subjectivity or a lack of genuine competition to be placed on this list.
agree with those plus lance armstrong
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

gallsman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 20, 2009, 02:29:24 PM
I see no point in discussing it further with you, it's my opinion, get over it.

Baseless opinions. That's usually a foundation for bigotry, isn't it?! Oh, and we haven't been discussing anything- I've just been dissecting your ridiculous posts and you haven't answered any of the questions a put to you. Doesn't count as discussion.

bcarrier

Quote from: thewobbler on August 20, 2009, 02:13:28 PM
The reason Pod has won 3 majors is that they are all shyte.
Tiger won a major with a broken leg.
Pod's last major win was with an injured hand.
In other recent majors we have seen Greg Norman & Tom Watson leading for extended periods until they realised they needed a mid afternoon nap.
An amateur won the Irish Open & the current USPGA champion is a 37year old who only started playing golf when he was 19.
It all points to one thing.
They are all useless.

Given the ever-increasing technological, physical and mental strides taken by the human race, as well as the increasing global stature of the game, it would be a staggering anomaly if the current crop of golfers were anything other than the best ever. Golf is, after all, a sport that can be measured statistically. Every top-drawer course has had to be lengthened and tightened because of Woods and co.

They have certainly proved that they are better fed and with current technology they can hit it further .Up until recently I would have probably believed that todays top sportsmen in whatever sport you choose are the best ever.  The Tom Watson thing has made me question that.

Sandino

Gallsman, when I expressed my opinion that George Best should not be included in this list your response was ''Why cos he's a prod'' That to me is a reply from someone who wants to make this a political and sporting issue. Phelps for me should not be on the list, his medal haul comes from a sport that has multipal chances to win medals in similar events at the olympics.

For me, Ray Robinson -  Ali - Jordan as always personal opinion.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Diet Coke

Jack Nicklaus ahead of Woods any day of the week.....based on the facts he won Majors over 3 decades, and equipment, plus he started as a pro with very little compared to Woods 20 million. 
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

Hardy

Quote from: Sandino on August 20, 2009, 02:56:30 PMPhelps for me should not be on the list.

Is he a prod?

If we're talknig boxers, I have to put in a word for Rocky Marciano. Only man to retire undefeated as heavyweight champion - when the heavyweight championship was real.

High Wide and Handsome

Jesus oh i wish i never had said no to Steve Redgrave. POG and Galls are going to meet for a boxing match after this.  ;D

Top 5 Sports People in my opinion:
1) Zidane (minus the headbutt)
2) Michael Jordan
3) Tiger Woods
4) Rocky Marciano
5) Ali

The reason for this is beacuse I have taken worldwide massive sports and put who I believe to be the best at each in numbers 1-4 then Ali as I just think he is a cool mofo. Dont think there has ever been the same persona in a sport. Having the cockyness yet the ability to back it up is class.
"Swing er over!"

pintsofguinness

QuoteJesus oh i wish i never had said no to Steve Redgrave. POG and Galls are going to meet for a boxing match after this.
Nah but Galls might throw his cucumber sandwich in my face.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mc_grens

I didn't trawl through the whole 11 pages to see if this has been said already...

How the Fek is Michael Jordan not on the original list!!!

muppet

Quote from: High Wide and Handsome on August 20, 2009, 03:36:06 PM
Jesus oh i wish i never had said no to Steve Redgrave. POG and Galls are going to meet for a boxing match after this.  ;D

Top 5 Sports People in my opinion:
1) Zidane (minus the headbutt)
2) Michael Jordan
3) Tiger Woods
4) Rocky Marciano
5) Ali

The reason for this is beacuse I have taken worldwide massive sports and put who I believe to be the best at each in numbers 1-4 then Ali as I just think he is a cool mofo. Dont think there has ever been the same persona in a sport. Having the cockyness yet the ability to back it up is class.

Gonna finalise a list.

1. Ali
2. Michael Jordan
3. Pele
4. Tiger Woods
5. Roman Sebrle (I just personally think the Decathletes are something else, truly the best athletes and his is still the world record holder and won 9 Golds at Euro/World/Olympic level along with 4 silver and 4 bronze)
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

Quote from: Hardy on August 20, 2009, 03:13:38 PM
Quote from: Sandino on August 20, 2009, 02:56:30 PMPhelps for me should not be on the list.

Is he a prod?

If we're talknig boxers, I have to put in a word for Rocky Marciano. Only man to retire undefeated as heavyweight champion - when the heavyweight championship was real.

Debatable. Lots of evidence that Marciano's manager doctored his record from earlier fights. Tough bugger though.

The Watcher Pat

There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME