NFL Round 1: Monaghan v Tyrone

Started by GrandMasterFlash, January 26, 2015, 02:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ose 14

tyrone are only going one way at the minute and that is backwards. there has been a backwards progression really since 08/09 cork beat us off the park in 09 and every team has done the same ever since. whose fault is that who knows. the hunger is gone and i think that is reflected in the growing ambivalence towards the county team the management and to all things garvaghey and i include the nonesense that is the current development set up and coaching framework within the county.

i sat in a club committee ten years ago and listened to the pitch by club tyrone and their ilk about the need for garvaghey and the need to put all our efforts/money into the county. i was presented with a fancy booklet telling me about levelling the bog and how our successful title accumalations since the mid 90s were down to this continued need for excellence and of course money. well since 05 the clubs have done their bit theyve continued to fund a manager and county team  to the highest and for what to the detriment of the development of their own players and club.

where is the accountability for this so called perceived excellence. development squads that develop nothing but over inflated player egos and give gravitas to so called super coaches who appear on the wanted list at the much maligned clubs agm  come december. has any club player been developed by these squads and for that matter how many senior players came back to their clubs last august better than they left. thats the real problem here for all hartes faults and indeed strengths he and his hegmony have been allowed to rule over the real stakeholders in tyrone the clubs.  its time all were either shown the door or at least made accountable for the continued level of diminishing returns.

nrico2006

Quote from: ose 14 on February 05, 2015, 12:09:48 PM
tyrone are only going one way at the minute and that is backwards. there has been a backwards progression really since 08/09 cork beat us off the park in 09 and every team has done the same ever since. whose fault is that who knows. the hunger is gone and i think that is reflected in the growing ambivalence towards the county team the management and to all things garvaghey and i include the nonesense that is the current development set up and coaching framework within the county.

i sat in a club committee ten years ago and listened to the pitch by club tyrone and their ilk about the need for garvaghey and the need to put all our efforts/money into the county. i was presented with a fancy booklet telling me about levelling the bog and how our successful title accumalations since the mid 90s were down to this continued need for excellence and of course money. well since 05 the clubs have done their bit theyve continued to fund a manager and county team  to the highest and for what to the detriment of the development of their own players and club.

where is the accountability for this so called perceived excellence. development squads that develop nothing but over inflated player egos and give gravitas to so called super coaches who appear on the wanted list at the much maligned clubs agm  come december. has any club player been developed by these squads and for that matter how many senior players came back to their clubs last august better than they left. thats the real problem here for all hartes faults and indeed strengths he and his hegmony have been allowed to rule over the real stakeholders in tyrone the clubs.  its time all were either shown the door or at least made accountable for the continued level of diminishing returns.

Best post I have read in a while.  I have a big issue with the lack of accountability within Tyrone football with regards to the continued tenure of Harte.  I have nothing but respect for what he has achieved but surely he should be judged on results and over the past 5/6 years the results should have resulted in him losing the job.  He wouldn't hesitate in dumping a player who was going backwards, therefore sentimentality should not be influencing the decisions with regard to the senior team manager. 

Another good point is on the development squads, there seems to be the perception that they are not delivering over the past few years and that players are being lost, being trained to play in the same way and lose that off the cuff individualism that wins games.  What is being done behind the scenes to address this as well as the u-21s continued failure?  With the number of clubs in the county and the relative success at schools and under-age level continuously year in year out, Tyrone should be higher up the pecking order than we currently are. 

I would also be worried by the inability of the senior team management in bringing through talented minors - there seems to be a trend developing with regard to the best minor players being lost and not developed in the proper manner, especially when it comes to forwards.  Who was the last top class forward brought through in the county? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Someone mentioned about leadership there and I think that's an excellent point. Whether it was down to Harte or the lads themselves he brought through an abundance of leaders from Minor/U21 up to Senior. Is there anyone doing that now?

The other main point is the Garvaghey thing. . . I think a huge mistake all Clubs/Counties have made the last 15 years it to focus too much on infrastructure and not enough on coaching players well. How many clubs have state of the art facilities but a bog standard team? In Derry anyway the focus seems to have shifted back on player development rather than infrastructure but is this happening all over? I think for the good of the game it needs to!

Rois

Quote from: screenexile on February 05, 2015, 01:59:45 PM

The other main point is the Garvaghey thing. . . I think a huge mistake all Clubs/Counties have made the last 15 years it to focus too much on infrastructure and not enough on coaching players well. How many clubs have state of the art facilities but a bog standard team? In Derry anyway the focus seems to have shifted back on player development rather than infrastructure but is this happening all over? I think for the good of the game it needs to!

Yes this is happening in Tyrone now - a recent review of coaching has taken place where all clubs took part (except those who chose not to participate, and there were a couple of these). 

BennyHarp

For me the development squads are a complete waste of time and serve only to create an elitism amongst players that serves no benefit to their development as players. Having U14 and U15 development squads are completely pointless - I wonder what the conversion rate from those on U14 and U15 development squads to the U21 and senior squads has been in the past 15 years? Leave the kids to develop naturally with their clubs and the cream will rise to the top. I am also sick of PowerPoint coaches who deliver coaching courses trying to outdo each other with how fancy and complicated they can make coaching a team seem, whilst trying to come across as super coaches. No wonder kids heads are wrecked by the time they hit senior football as they are afraid to express themselves outside the system that they are coached in.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Who was the first County to bring in development squads and does every county still have them?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Agent Orange

How many points is your McKenna cup worth?  :P

BennyHarp

That was never a square ball!!